Thread: Under attack: The owner of a house struck five times by meteorites

Under attack: The owner of a house struck five times by meteorites

I have put this here, as it came from the UK Daily Mail

Under attack: The owner of a house struck five times by meteorites fears aliens are targeting him
    A Bosnian man whose home has been hit an incredible five times by meteorites believes he is being targeted by aliens.

Experts at Belgrade University have confirmed that all the rocks Radivoje Lajic has handed over were meteorites.

They are now investigating local magnetic fields to try and work out what makes the property so attractive to the heavenly bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I have put this here, as it came from the UK Daily Mail
    And you found it by reading this thread....

more likely, he bought the meteorites--occam's razor! I think you can buy them on the web now, even.

Todd

The fithp are attacking!

If he has local magnetic fields that are strong enough to attract meteorites, the meteorites themselves are probably the least of his worries...

Quote Originally Posted by tdvance View Post
    more likely, he bought the meteorites--occam's razor! I think you can buy them on the web now, even.
    And I'm betting he lobbed them at the house for veracity. Either that, or they all hit at the same time, from the same meteorite that split at (relatively) low altitude, or shattered on the house.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

If he is being targetted by aliens, I admire their restraint. All they need is one big rock.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

You know, it could be (I suppose) Earth rocks. Does he have a daughter of dating age that someone's signaling at night? Who are these experts at Belgrade University that "validated" the rocks and what is it, exactly, they are experts in? (These days, you really do have to ask.)
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Sure. Among the list of issues with this story is that there is no detail at all on the supposed meteorite verification. There's no mention of the size or type of the meteorites, who checked them, etc.

I did find it amusing that the rocks only hit during rainstorms. I have a suspicion some prankster is throwing rocks at the house. Conceivably, they might even use some real meteorites, but given the cost, they would need to be small ones.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    The fithp are attacking!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    The fithp are attacking!
    So there are a few places to avoid.....

The Fithp...rock throwing aliens with bad lisps.

I picked up a good sized chunk of meteorite from Kennedy Space Center's visitor center for about about 20-30 bucks. I'm sure I paid more than it was really worth, but the point is that even at that price it wouldn't be too expensive to fake it... or possibly give someone a big scare. Heck, it sounds like it'd make an awesome, though malicious prank. Break someone's window with a meteorite and you're instantly absolved of the blame. Break 5 of their windows with meteorites and you've created an "alien conspiracy"!

At least it was the house, and not the man, who was struck five times. I think I'd be getting pretty paranoid, too, after about the third knot on the noggin.

Give enough monkeys a meteorite, and it's bound to happen sooner or later.

Good grief.

The only known (To me) location hit twice by meteorites is Weathersfield Connecticut, once in the 1950's, and again in the 1980's, and the two houses were very near to one another...I will search for the story, and put up a link if I can find it.

Dale in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by vonmazur View Post
    The only known (To me) location hit twice by meteorites is Weathersfield Connecticut, once in the 1950's, and again in the 1980's, and the two houses were very near to one another...I will search for the story, and put up a link if I can find it.
    Missed it by thaaat much.
    Wethersfield (no 'a')
    1971 (not 50's)
    Here's a list of stuff hit through history.
    And here's the 2nd Wethersfield meteorite.

NEO: Thanks for finding that....too busy to search right away...I was confusing the Sylacauga AL 1950's with the two in CT. I live in AL and have lived in CT also, and so when I type without thinking....you know the result!!

This is still the only certified case (two in the same area) that I know about, they made a big deal out of it when I lived there...(Milford not Wethersfield!)

Dale
    Last edited by vonmazur; 2008-Jul-02 at 08:11 PM. Reason: add...