Thread: Phoenix UFO

Phoenix UFO

New video of a UFO in Phoenix CNN-iReport.
    I really can't tell what it could be, but at one point I did hear what sounds like a helicopter. It's pretty interesting since the lights are very fixed in relation to each other then seem to change. But without a 3D reference, the change can just be the angle changes.

Any ideas?

The only idea I have is that it is strikingly similar to many other UFO reports: lights in formation, hovering, changing shape, and disappearing...

how magical!

Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two has the greater view?

couldn't get website to come up

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyref88 View Post
    couldn't get website to come up
    Can't say you missed much...

The absolute funniest part of this whole clip happens at about 17 seconds into it.

David: I'm gonna go get.. I wanna go get... Where's the telescope?
    Other Guy: Dude, leave the telescope ALONE. It's upstairs, leave it.
    David: I wanna go get it!
    Other guy: David, leave it. There's no batteries or nuthin.

So there you are America.. this is the quality observation that we're relying on.

They do eventually get the telescope out, but apparently can't hook it up to the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by hewhocaves View Post
    The absolute funniest part of this whole clip happens at about 17 seconds into it.
    Yep; that was a hoot. At least the only person worried was the little girl.
    They do eventually get the telescope out, but apparently can't hook it up to the phone?
    To be fair, it did sound like the father(?) told him (in some other words) to put down the phone and pay attention if you're going to mess with the scope.

Really? I was getting more of a college kid vibe, with maybe a little sister around. But that may be bias cause im on a college campus now.

are there telescopes that REQUIRE batteries to work? I know the motorized ones need them for the motor, but I was under the impression that you could disconnect the motor and use it the old-fashioned way (i.e. muscle power).

Really? I was getting more of a college kid vibe ...
    Are you saying a college kid can't be a little pre-occupied, spend too much time on the phone, and look a little clumsy while trying to juggle a telescope with one hand while the other is holding the device that he's using to impress his friend?.....Dude?

yeah, I got the same vibe too...

heh.. we could graph "dude" as a percentage of total words said on a minute by minute basis. Im sure there's a correlation...

Just so you guys know one potential source of a lot of "UFO reports" out of Phoenix the next week or so,

There is a HUGE convention of guys flying electric R/C planes (a lot of them lit with LED lights for night flying) at the Phoenix stadium this weekend:

http://www.efexpo.com/

WOULD NOT SURPRISE me at all if some of the guys are 'warming up' by taking their planes out at night and videoing them..... And a LOT of the 'triangular shaped' UFO photos I've seen lately are very obviously park-flyer electric r/c flying wings.

(I'm going to get on a flight myself tomorrow to fly cross-country to the event.)

Well, let's be honest. Since the observers didn't identify the object(s), this is a UFO. However, the sheer amount of ordinary things this could have been ,e.g., small RC planes at slow speed and low altitude, a formation of military jets at a great distance, two helicopters with prevailing winds carrying the sound away, balloons, Walloons, etc., does not seem to give any credence to those who will inevitably claim that "no explaination has been offered" as to the mystery of lights appearing in the night skies (possibly early evening, as young ones seemed to up and about) of a technologically advanced society with thousands of objects moving about over the average city every few hours.

And I was waiting for someone to proffer the "military flares" explanation?

I think most plausible is covert military craft being deployed, though most unusual compared to other previously secret craft.

I wonder if the folks in the plane that seemingly passes in front of the lights (blinking light moving right to left) saw it.
    Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two has the greater view?

Quote Originally Posted by JustAFriend View Post
    ...There is a HUGE convention of guys flying electric R/C planes (a lot of them lit with LED lights for night flying) at the Phoenix stadium this weekend:...
    So far; that's the most reasonable one I've heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
    Well, let's be honest. Since the observers didn't identify the object(s), this is a UFO. However...
    Absolutely... I don't think any woo has been mentioned on this one. In fact, just the opposite (by me, if you infer it correctly)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.DIM View Post
    I think most plausible is covert military craft being deployed, though most unusual compared to other previously secret craft.
    Can you elaborate more on why you think it's most plausible? I don't think the military would look like that if the were trying to be covert.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.DIM View Post
    I wonder if the folks in the plane that seemingly passes in front of the lights (blinking light moving right to left) saw it.
    Seemingly is the appropriate word. I saw it pass below, and not in front, of the object. Without any depth clues, there's not much you can determine from that.

I wonder how far away Kyle was. That might give some clue for depth.
    At one point, the "dude" guy said they started off in a straight line. That would be consistent with the flare idea. (Sorry A.DIM, it had to be said )

And why would "aliens" need running lights? It's terrestrial.

These four lights seem to drift independently. This does suggest flares to me; but they might not be miltary flares. In fact they might just be UFO balloons or sky lanterns.

Phoenix seems to be a hot spot for UFO reports, just the sort of place that a release of UFO balloons would cause a bit of a stir. If I lived there I might do it myself.
    http://www.apra.org.uk/ufoballoons.htm

Mystery solved (apparently).

Valley man says he faked UFO-like lights

The man, who did not want to be identified, told 3TV that he used fishing line to attach road flares to helium-filled balloons, then lit the fares and launched them a minute apart from his back yard.

Unhappy UFO's ??

Sorry for taking up your time, but does UFO mean alien controlled spaceship??

Quote Originally Posted by ulgah View Post
    Sorry for taking up your time, but does UFO mean alien controlled spaceship??
    UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object.

So, technically, it means ANY mundane object that you don't know what it is.

More recently, UFO has taken on the meaning you just described in Pop Culture- a UFO represents visiting spacecraft.

Forgot to give an example of the R/C planes I mentioned above.
    Here, take a look at this video:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=eIOvJpMaAlI&feature=related

Our electric planes can't be heard from more than 50ft away.
    Coupled with slow, less than 10mph or even hovering, flight and you'll see why they can easily generate "AMAZING UFO VIDEOS" and reports....

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Mystery solved (apparently).

Valley man says he faked UFO-like lights
    Likely story. He obviously works for them.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Likely story. He obviously works for them.
    Of course, why else would he keep his identity a secret?