Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Practical jokes

Practical jokes

OK…In my everyday life, I am a pretty big practical joker. I thought I’d start a thread were we could share practical jokes that we’ve orchestrated or been the target in. Also, I’m looking for ideas because I’m in a creative block. :grin:

On of my targets has been a person in my office. It all started when I felt paper clips hitting be and caught her hiding behind the copier throwing them like hand grenades at me. So, when she was away from her desk I went to her computer and shared her printer to the network. I then installed her printer to my computer and waited for her to come back to her desk. When she came back I began sending her spooky messages to her printer (such as “Redrum Redrum” and “I see dead people”) She was freaking out. I told her that her computer was probably haunted. I then got a few more people in the office in on it and installed her printer to their computer and they started sending her messages to. After a few more “messages” I created a wanted poster of “Casper” (the friendly ghost) and sent it to her computer. She then figured out who it was.

She got me back with a simple joke that had a smelly outcome. She had ordered Calamari at a restaurant the night before and had saved a few pieces in a box. Incase you don’t know what Calamari is, it’s fried Squid. She then came in to the office before me and put it in my office after leaving it outside the night before. Needless to say my office stunk for a while.

So, under pressure to respond, I came up with a creative joke still playing off the haunted computer. I downloaded some creepy sounds from the internet and saved them to a floppy. I then came into work an hour before she got here and started up her computer. I then changed all her default sounds for her “Windows theme” to play these spooky sounds (one of them being a low groan followed immediately with a witches laugh, which I set to play at her computer start up). Knowing that she only knows the very basic computer knowledge to get jobs done, and couldn’t put a computer together to save her life, I proceeded to unplug her computer speakers from the CPU and I plugged in my own speakers and hid them under her desk where she would never find them. I then cranked the volume all the way up. I then went into my office and waited for her arrival. When she arrived and started her computer, I kid you not; the walls were shaking in the office with the low groan…then the witches laugh hit. It was loud. I was peaking my head out my office door looking for a reaction. She walked out of her office walking bow legged like she had something in her pants. She then saw my head peaking out the office door. When she said “I’m going to the bathroom” I lost it. I was on the floor laughing for minutes.

No she didn’t really go to the bathroom in her pants; it was just her way of saying “good one”. :grin:

I also have a prank war going on with my sister every Christmas. It all started when I bought her a gift which I placed in a shoe box. I then wrapped the shoe box in an entire roll of “Duct Tape”. I then wrapped that with the gift wrapping. When she unwrapped the wrapping, she spent about Five minutes trying to undo the Duct tape (which I cut into sections instead of wrapping it with one long single piece to guarantee a headache). After a while, she got fed up and decided to cut open the box with a knife. And the present inside…was a pack of batteries with a note that said “Gift not included”.

On the next Christmas, she got me back with the same Duct tape gag, but she wrapped Three DVD’s by themselves in Duct tape, which meant I couldn’t cut through the Duct tape like she had done a year earlier. I had to sit there and completely unwrap the Duct tape to get the DVD’s.

So the next Christmas we both orchestrated pranks on each other. She gave me a box of dirt, and buried in it was the DVD of…”Joe Dirt”. My gift was a little more creative than usual and wasn’t immediately apparent to her upon opening of it (which was funny in a way cause I could actually see the look of disappointment on her face when see thought I had not done a prank). I bought her a CD whose artist escapes me right now. I took it home and VERY carefully, lifted the edges of the plastic wrapping being extra careful not to tear the plastic. I then carefully slid the CD case out of the plastic. I then carefully pealed away the “Security Strip” that covers the CD jacket and tray to keep from opening the CD case, and left the security strip hanging on the top (jacket part) of the CD case. I then separated the Jacket part of the case from the CD Tray part of the case. I took out the CD and scanned the top of the CD into my computer. I took apart the CD tray and scanned the back part of the CD case. I made a CD label of the top of the CD and put the label on a blank CD. I then took an extra CD case I had and took apart the CD tray. I printed the tray portion of the CD case and placed under the CD tray of the extra case. I put the tray back together took the blank CD with the printed label…and Super Glued it to the CD tray. I then took the original “Jacket” portion of the CD case, complete with security strip and all and attached it to the doctored CD tray. I then let the glue dry overnight, open-faced to let the glue fumes go away. The next day I closed the CD case and reapplied the security strip. I then VERY carefully put the entire CD case back into the plastic wrapper and lightly glued the opening shut. When I was done with this thing, it looked absolutely store bought. You could not tell there was anything wrong with it.

So there was my sister looking glum because her bro forgot to play a gag on her this Christmas. My wife then went into action and asked her questions about the CD. My wife then asked her to play a song from it. My sister unwrapped the plastic (less carefully than I had two days earlier :grin: ) and then she removed the security strip. I could barley contain myself from laughing as she walked over to the stereo, opened the CD case and attempted to pull out the CD…then attempted again…another tug…and another. Then she finally realized after I was laughing so hard that her brother hadn’t forgotten after all. We then handed her the case with the real CD in it.

Anyway, those are my tales of creative genius. If I still have your attention after this long post, do any of you have any clean pranks that you have created or been the recipient that you would like to share. As I said I am also looking for ideas, especially for my next Holiday fiasco which may be months away, but I am still drawing a blank on.

A couple rules:

1. They have to be clean pranks (remember, kids read this board).

2. Nothing mean. I find that if other people don't laugh along with you, including the mark, then it just isn't worth the effort.

3. The more creative the better .

Have at it, and enjoy. 8)

Ohhhh I have lots. We got real bored at the college I went to. The first I'll share actually should be credited to my father who pulled it when he was in college I just repeated it.

At school we had this kid who was rather obnoxious and he had a lot of money(for a student). So one day he bought a new Honda Civic SI with an obnoxious stereo in it. SO he decided it would be cool to come by waking up my barracks at about 2:30 every morning for a week to show off. My roommate and I decided that had to stop. So myself, my roommate and 6 other guys snuck out at about 1:30 one morning to where he parked. We kicked the car out of gear and pushed (so it wouldn't make noise)it to a side walk accross campus where they had concrete pillars to keep cars out. We then wedged the car in between the poles and turned on the stereo and locked the car, keys inside(we got the keys from his roommate who was helping us but he never found out his roommate was in on it). The next morning during PT we ran by and his car was still there with a ticket from the police and a note that they would have towed it if they could have gotten it out(the stereo wasn't running because the battery was dead). Well he saw his car and he fingered us right away since we had big s*** eating grins. The 1st Sergeant made my platoon pick the damned thing up and carry back to the parking lot as punishment. Ohhh well it was fun while it lasted and we all had a great laugh after we moved it back.

The best one I've been a target of was more spur of the moment than well planned out. I had decided one overcast afternoon (about 4pm) to take a nap, I was very careful to set the alarm for the next day just incase I slept through the night (that tired). I had a Calc I exam the next morning at 7:30. My roommate at the time thought it would be funny to set my alarm clock ahead 12 hours, banking on the cloud cover to disguise the true time of day. I woke up at 7-what-I-thought-AM because of the clock....somewhat confused as usual and headed into take a shower and shave...got dressed up for class (I had a presentation after the exam that day) grabbed my books and headed to class to find no one there...

Nuthing even close to yours :-) But when we were younger my brohters and i (me and my brothers?) played pranks on our sister all the time. Several of these would be big staged gags, a few were simple ones.

She knows very, very little about computers. Yet for some reason my parents gave her her own computer (at this time me and my brothers still had to share one computer). Well in retaliation we changed all of the sounds on her computer to us singing her favorite songs, poorly.

At this time she loved the backstreet boys. (uhhggg..) so we took a picture of them, and photoshoped all of theer heads onto the bodies of women in intimate poses. This became her desktop wallpaper. :-)

The biggest one involved us taking all of her barbies, ken, and a lot of dental floss. In her bathroom (yes she had her own bathroom too. spoiled brat ) we placed Ken on top of a box on the sink. We then placed a black sock on his head. After that we diligently strung dental floss around the necks of every single one of her barbies. Each barbie was hung from the ceiling.

You could hear the scream from across the street. :-)

These are all good. I have similar occurance with a couple of these.

tuffel999-

In high school, I had a PE teacher who was really cool. A couple of friends and I decided to play a practical joke on him, so we saw his clip board with his keys attached to them. We ran over to the faculty parking lot and found his car. We then drove his car to the outdoor Basketball courts and parked it there (this was where we met for PE after coming out of the locker room). He walked out of his office and saw his car parked on the basketball court. We couldn't help but laugh, so we were duly caught. He had a great sense of humor though so we didn't get into trouble for it, we just took it back to the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey
    The biggest one involved us taking all of her barbies, ken, and a lot of dental floss. In her bathroom (yes she had her own bathroom too. spoiled brat ) we placed Ken on top of a box on the sink. We then placed a black sock on his head. After that we diligently strung dental floss around the necks of every single one of her barbies. Each barbie was hung from the ceiling.

You could hear the scream from across the street. :-)
    When my sister and I were younger, she loved New Kids on the Block. being the older brother I naturally hated them. She had a "Donny" doll that I promply hung from her ceiling fan.

Ok so I have a few more to type up now that I am back.

1. I went ot a military college so we had all sorts of traditions and unusual occurances for a normal college. One is they play retreat at 5:00 pm. On mondays the corps has drill on the drill field from 3:30 to 5:00 followed by retreat where they fire the 75mm howitzer. So a few enterpising individuals decided that making a trip to the local store for a large assortment of lacy ladies underwear would be appropriate to stuff in the cannon. Well when the time came the cannon was loaded and fired and damned if it wasn't raining underwear. Over the years they have done different variations of this with, tennis balls and once a grapefruit it hit a building though 8-[

2. Another fun one with our beloved drill field involved an enterprising group of us students and a 20-25 foot pine sapling. In the middle of the night one night the tree was dug up from the woods behind the barracks and stored behind another building. The following night the crew snuck out again grabbed the tree, high tailed it down to the drill field dug a hole and planted the bad boy. It was another great sight at 5:30 in the morning when we went out. Nice majestic green field with a lifting fog and a big ugly tree planted right in the middle. I will have ot look around for the picture of it. It's in this desk somewhere I think.

As a senior in college we shared an apartment for a semester with this really annoying fraternity brother that didn't want to live in the frat house so he could study (Yeah- right). Anyway, he never seemed to contribute to the grocery bill, but was more than willing to contribute to the grocery eating. The only exception was that he bought skim milk for himself - but then he drank up all our milk anyway.

So we started adding water to his skim milk. He had this one half gallon for about 3 weeks (duh - you're drinking it every day!). Finally one day he poured the last of his (99% water by now #-o ) skim milk and is sitting there drinking it telling us: "You know, some people hate skim milk. They think it tastes like water, but I think it tastes great."

During my college summers, I worked as a cashier at a gas station/mini-mart. It was a tradition of mine to pull a practical joke my last night working there before heading back to college. One summer they were constantly picking on me because the place was so busy that my register tape would be trailing onto the floor. The manager would walk by and say: "You're wallpapering the place."

So at the end of that summer, I decided to wallpaper the place my last night. I covered the windows with paper towels, the shelves, the doorways into other rooms, the doors of coolers.

So in the night, a police officer (that was regular customer at the gas station) drives by and calls up the manager. He wasn't sure if the place was being robbed. She drives up and they go through the place. Apparently the sheriff had to pull his gun and kick through the paper towels hanging over doorways. So to get me back, he drafted a letter on official county sheriff letterhead that said I was going to be brought up on criminal charges. So I was panick stricken for a full day before I noticed that the police officer that signed the letter was officer "I.P. Daily". #-o ops:

That was pretty funny. In high school I worked at a gas station but the worst I ever did was freak out customers while stocking in the refrigerator by grabbing there hand when they reached in. Simple yet effective.

tuffel999. When I was in depot (basic training camp) we did a variation to the tree planting in the middle of the drill square practical joke. After a few weeks we got our first night on the town; so, of course we went out and drank to access. There is always a couple of guys who really got wasted. After one of the drunks was sound asleep we moved him, and the bed he was in, out to the parade square---along with his locker and barrack box. Needless to say, when the Regimental Sargeant Major (GOD) spotted the guy out there, s*** hit the fan!

Quote Originally Posted by tuffel999
    That was pretty funny. In high school I worked at a gas station but the worst I ever did was freak out customers while stocking in the refrigerator by grabbing there hand when they reached in. Simple yet effective.

There were times when I would be loading the cooler and someone would grab a gallon of milk - so I'd slide one in to replace it. Then they'd decide to put it back and there was no place to fit it. Then they'd yell in at me. "Hey, I'm putting that back!" Or sometimes they'd open the cooler doors to ask for something. "Hey, you got any budwater light in there?"

Quote Originally Posted by dgruss23
    So in the night, a police officer (that was regular customer at the gas station) drives by and calls up the manager. He wasn't sure if the place was being robbed. She drives up and they go through the place. Apparently the sheriff had to pull his gun and kick through the paper towels hanging over doorways. So to get me back, he drafted a letter on official county sheriff letterhead that said I was going to be brought up on criminal charges. So I was panick stricken for a full day before I noticed that the police officer that signed the letter was officer "I.P. Daily". #-o ops:
    That was funny.

I use to work security for a local company and was working at a local residential assocation. Our guard house was huge and housed our security directors office. Our security director (who we played numerous practical jokes on, which I might get into later) was an Ex-Lieutenant detective for our local Sheriffs department, so he knew alot of the Sheriffs that came through the gate usually responding to alarms. One such Sheriff had asked our director if he could get him some of this chemical that the landscapers sprayed on the "Nutgrass". I can't remember the name of the chemical or the purpose of it, but when the director asked the greens keeper, he said he would but only a little because five gallons of this stuff cost roughly in the thousands of dollors!! The greens keeper gave my director a few table spoons of this stuff which was in a powder form in a bottle. My director then took a medicine bottle and ground up some "Beef Bullion", the seasoning that they put in packets of "Top Roman" noodles, and he put that in the medicine bottle. He then wrote notes all over the bottle such as "DO NOT INHALE" "DO NOT OPEN WITH OUT MASK" and "WEAR GLOVES AND GOGGLES WHEN HANDLING". The next time the Sheriff arrived at the guard house, he handed the bottle to him. The Sheriff took it and joke saying "I don't know if I want this in my car!" After the Sheriff left, my director called the Sheriffs wife and let her in on the joke and told her when the husband gets home, to take the bottle, ask what it is, open it and take a BIG sniff of it.

The next time the Sheriff came by, my director was waiting for him outside the guard house laughing and pointing at him and the Sheriff drove up laughing hard. My director then gave him the real bottle.

That's absolutely hysterical!

A little bit of nitrogen triiodide in the keyhole. Just a tiny bit.

Just a quickie fun thing to do. Put a little dry ice in an eppendorf tube and toss it behind someones lab bench. It pops very loudly in about 10-12 seconds. Lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander
    A little bit of nitrogen triiodide in the keyhole. Just a tiny bit.
    WOW!! Click on one of the two side by side pictures to see an animation of this stuff.

For the sake of not wanting to cause an accident (if you know what I mean) I think I'll skip on using this prank.

On one of the loacal radio stations they pull an April Fools prank every year. They tell the listerners a whopper of a story, get people to react and then tell them that it was a prank the next day.

One year they convinced many Houstonians to put plastic bags over their phones, because the phone company was going to clean out the lines, by blowing air through the lines. If you did not put a bag on your phone then you would have dirt all over your home.

Another year they pulled a different variation, they had people put bricks or other heavy objects on their toilets to avoid spillage.

This year they convinced people that the toll authorities were going to charge people using the toll roads per person in the vehicle, rather than per vehicle. People called in complaining, vowing to take the long way around, just to avoid the added toll. They had someone call in impersenating someone from the toll authorities "confirming" the story. After an hour or two they told the listeners that it was a joke.
    I woke up April 1, heard what they were saying, and while still sleepy figured out that it was an April Fools joke.

I am not sure why some people believe these kinds of stories.

My suggestion would be that if you want to pull a small scale version on your co-worker that you show her an email, from the proper authorities, that explains the "problem" and the "soltion."

Depending on the size of your office, and your relationship with others in the office, you could get everyone else in on the joke, or get someone else to forward the e-mail to your co-worker.

Back in High School, my programming class would find ways to annoy everyone else. Because the school had learned from previous years that we would screw up the network through our blend of ignorance and fledgeling competence, they left network coding out of our education. But not the input from and creation of files. We created a shared folder on one of the school's servers and gave each machine on the network access. (They trusted us enough that we were tasked with the network's upkeep. Kind of makes pranking the net less fun but what the hey.) We then wrote a simple program, hellbreaksloose.cpp, and left it running in the background on each machine. All hellbreaksloose did was check that shared folder every few seconds and read the list of characters therein. The only thing that was in there was a single number, normally zero. When an indentically named file -with a one instead of a zero was copied into the folder... well... Hell broke loose! Every computer in the school began playing the anthem of the USSR, opening and closing the CD-ROM drives randomly, and other foolishness.

Remind me to always stay on you guy's good side, eh?

Heres a minor prank I once pulled, spur of the moment.

Two of my friends, one of whom just registered here as 'F1' were doing an assignment a couple of years back, in which they had to record a TV comercial. I was in a spare classroom, alone with them, helping them out.They started argueing over something, and I reached over and pressed 'Record' on the tape player, realising how humourous it would be to see them stand up in front of the class and play to the teacher a stream of profanity. Unfortunately, F1 noticed that I was laughing, and that was that.

My uncle Mark is the police... umm, is cheif the word here in Oz? anyway, He's in charge of the cops in Albany, and he runs a cadet camp. Once they had this kid who was pushing the others around, so my uncle filled his sleeping bag with honey.

My father used to pull some good pranks on his friends. One of them involved some dental floss, a passed out friend, and tying said friends' anatomy to other parts of said anatomy. But that's for another time, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by dgruss23
    As a senior in college we shared an apartment for a semester with this really annoying fraternity brother that didn't want to live in the frat house so he could study (Yeah- right). Anyway, he never seemed to contribute to the grocery bill, but was more than willing to contribute to the grocery eating. The only exception was that he bought skim milk for himself - but then he drank up all our milk anyway.

So we started adding water to his skim milk. He had this one half gallon for about 3 weeks (duh - you're drinking it every day!). Finally one day he poured the last of his (99% water by now #-o ) skim milk and is sitting there drinking it telling us: "You know, some people hate skim milk. They think it tastes like water, but I think it tastes great."

During my college summers, I worked as a cashier at a gas station/mini-mart. It was a tradition of mine to pull a practical joke my last night working there before heading back to college. One summer they were constantly picking on me because the place was so busy that my register tape would be trailing onto the floor. The manager would walk by and say: "You're wallpapering the place."

So at the end of that summer, I decided to wallpaper the place my last night. I covered the windows with paper towels, the shelves, the doorways into other rooms, the doors of coolers.

I knew someone at my former job that got a similar treatment as the Frat Brother. He bought a 2 pound bag of M&Ms but wouldn't share it. He stored it in the refrigerator and only took out 5-10 pieces at a time. We would watch him and bought another bag of M&Ms. Every time he took out 5 we replaced 4 of them. After 6 months( ) we got tired as he didn't notice the bag was still 1/3rd full. When the bag got empty(about a week later), he started accusing us of stealing his M&Ms! He still thought we were stealing them even when we showed him the 4 empty bags we went thru in the joke.

I've joked a phone on a co-worker before. I used scotch tape to cover the two inner leads on the connection. The phone still rings and the other end hears the mark talking, but the mark can't hear them. Then you just keep calling them from just outside earshot. =D> In some cases, it might be better to tell the mark's family, so they don't think the person is going looney.

This joke was one I pulled on my 8 year old daughter (with my son's very willing assistance). Last April 1st, we set all the clocks in the house ahead 4 hours. She woke up thinking she had slept till noon, when in fact it was 8 AM. She had been telling the entire family that she had numerous practical jokes planned for the day, but was not amused at being the first victim. She did get her revenge though. We have a spray hose at our kitchen sink. She tied a rope around the nozzle so it would be always on. As a result, whoever turned on the faucet (that was me) got soaked. The moral of the story here is that when it comes to practical jokes, it is definitely much better to give than to receive.

Quote Originally Posted by JimTKirk
    I've joked a phone on a co-worker before. I used scotch tape to cover the two inner leads on the connection. The phone still rings and the other end hears the mark talking, but the mark can't hear them. Then you just keep calling them from just outside earshot. =D> In some cases, it might be better to tell the mark's family, so they don't think the person is going looney.
    I'd like to learn that one. That reminds me of a prank my security director pulled on me when I worked at a security guard house. He taped the "Hook Switch" of the phone down, and then called the dispatch line. everytime I went to answer the phone, it would just keep ringing. #-o

Prank I wasn't in but was still fun was a variation on move someone out of there room and onto the lawn. Some of the guys I knew in college snuck into the chow hall one night and grabbed one of the large tables and 6 chairs(along with complete place settings) and moved it on top of the building over night. The upper part of the chow hall had a big sky light so you could see right through and see the setting up on the roof(and from afar). It only took these guys a half hour or so to get it up but physical plant took about 3 getting it down. #-o

My friend's brother decided to pull a prank on another school a few years ago. It was the night before a big football game and he gathered a bunch of his friends. They dug a hole in the field and cemented a tree right smack dab in the middle of the field. Big tree, too. He would have gotten away with it but his friends ratted him out, so he had to go dig it up. He tells me that it was worth it, though.

There has been a tradition for the engineering students of UBC (University of British Columbia) to 'engineer' a practical joke.

One year they suspended a Volkswagen Beetle under the Lion's Gate Bridge.

It took the Vancouver City Engineer's two days to safely remove it.

These days the Engineers are more mundane, but I keep wishing!

Just a follow up on the OP. As I mentioned, me and my sister have a kinda prank war going on every Christmas. So here are the pranks that we pulled on each other this year:

I like playing chess and have developed a habit of collecting chess sets over the years. My sister bought me a Simpson's chess set. And when I opened it up, the pieces were missing. But, there was a note that said "Merry Christmas! The pieces are hidden around the house...inside and out. Have fun!" #-o

Now, I may have a bias opinion, but I think my prank was more original. I bought her a watch that she wanted and locked it in a safe box that uses a key to open. I then took the key and froze it in the middle of a block of ice just bigger than a shoe box. Just before we were going to open presents I took the block out of the freezer and wrapped it in styrofoam and then put that in a large pre-wrapped box that I rigged to be able to put the block in and seal the wrapping quick. Now even though she only took a few minutes to get the key out by placing the block in the sink under hot water...it was still funny .

This year my brother-in-law decided to join in as well by pulling a joke on my sister. He bought her a gift card to Best Buy. Then he bought an entire box of 80 envelopes. He then took each envelope and sealed a piece of thin plastic in them and one envelope with the gift card. He then put each envelope back into the box and wrapped it. She had to go through each envelope to find the gift card.

I kinda liked his prank better than mine. It was simple and was pretty time consuming for her to get through.

Thank You for sharing, it was fun to re-read all those pranks again.

All right, here's a simple one to do at the office. If a co-worker has one of those blotter things on their desk, tie the back of it to the back of their desk drawer. When they open the drawer... ZOOP! Blotter goes flying the other way, along with everything on it.

In the lab where I used to work we had a small metal tin, the top and bottom were insulated from each other with a strip of clear tape and a low-leakage capacitor soldered to the inside of the lid and base of the tin. Charge it up to around 300volts and leave it on top of someones paper work, then hide!

While I never commit practical jokes, I have engaged in a couple of innocent pranks. Of course, wrapping a rubber band around the sprayer attachment on your sink so that the first person to turn the water on gets a shower is a venerable stunt. Beyond that, the best one I ever tried was injecting (with a sterile insulin syringe) 2cc of green food coloring into the sealed cream container that a particulary nasty coworker kept in the community fridge. He was continually accusing other people of stealing his cream. I felt he deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by NASA Fan
    Thank You for sharing, it was fun to re-read all those pranks again.
    You're Welcome.

I do like this thread and the responses I've gotten. I'd hate to see it go away.

Quote Originally Posted by The Supreme Canuck
    All right, here's a simple one to do at the office. If a co-worker has one of those blotter things on their desk, tie the back of it to the back of their desk drawer. When they open the drawer... ZOOP! Blotter goes flying the other way, along with everything on it.
    I like that one. I may have to borrow that idea for a future prank against my co-worker. 8-[