Thread: Little galaxy, big controversy IC 4182

Little galaxy, big controversy IC 4182

Determining actual distances to galaxies was a problem for astronomers after Hubble worked out using red shift to determine relative distance. Cepheid variables couldn't be seen very far out so didn't work to calibrate his redshift scale. Type 1A supernova could be seen across the universe but until 1937 never occurred in a galaxy near enough to have a chance of measuring the distance by cepheid variables. Still theory could give a pretty good answer to how bright a type 1A super nova really was. In 1937 a Type 1A was seen in this galaxy and shortly there after Cepheid distances could be worked out for it. Problem was they didn't agree. The type 1A SN said it was about 14 or 15 million light years away and Cepheids said 8 million. As more was known about both it only fed the views of both camps. Now from what I read the 8 million light year distance has pretty well been accepted. Why the SN was dim is till being debated. In any case this dwarf galaxy caused a big astronomical debate for many years.

It is a very weird looking "spiral" with very low surface brightness. It really needed more time than I gave it but clouds for the last 10 months have greatly limited my exposure time as it hasn't stayed clear for more than a couple hours for months. To get what I did took three nights over 2 months and most frames were gathered under poor seeing many with heavy moonlight. I do need to revisit this one next year if the clouds ever let me.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' binned 2x2, RGB=2x10' binned 3x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

For a less compressed image see:
    http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...tid=1954&stc=1

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Rick,

Very interesting and challenging subject. Excellent job processing with such limited signal. It would be interesting to see what else you can tease out of it with a bit more data in the future.

Thanks for sharing.
    Kent

A very strange galaxy it is, my first another fine shot with food for memmory thanks for the info again Rick. Clear Skies