Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: STS-125 Shuttle Mission: Hubble Servicing Mission 4

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    PBS: Hubble's Amazing Rescue (episode site)

Premieres October 13.
    Followed by 400 Years of the Telescope (at least in my market)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Followed by 400 Years of the Telescope (at least in my market)

Yes, quite the interesting shows back to back.
    I always knew the NBL could not replicate true EVAs.
    The STS burns 11K pounds of propellant per second at lift off, quite powerful, although I believe the Saturn V has it beat though. Then again we can look at the Sun which burns 600M tons of hydrogen per second to maintain its luminosity.

I'd like to commend NOVA for putting a human face on the astronauts and the ground team. Instead of portraying them as infallible superheroes, they were shown as bright, hard-working people overcoming super problems.

PS: Add Mike Massimino to the list of people that like to buy a beer for, and chat with for a while.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I'd like to commend NOVA for putting a human face on the astronauts and the ground team. Instead of portraying them as infallible superheroes, they were shown as bright, hard-working people overcoming super problems.

PS: Add Mike Massimino to the list of people that like to buy a beer for, and chat with for a while.
    They could have been a little less frantic with some of their editing, but overall an excellent episode that did a good job of spreading credit where credit was due: not just the astronauts but the whole support team.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Went to a seminar by Mario Livio at the Smithsonian today. He revealed a "super-duper" deep field image completed about three weeks ago with the WFC3's infrared imager that showed galaxies back to about Z=8.0. He says he expects them to get to Z=10 over the next year.

WFPC-2 and COSTAR now on display at the Smithsonian

A high-tech camera the size of a baby grand piano is now on display at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum, drawing admiring looks from scientists and historians who relish the chance to get an up-close look at the instrument that turned the Hubble Space Telescope from a laughingstock to a technological triumph.
    The Smithsonian is also showcasing another Hubble instrument brought back by the astronauts, the Corrective Optics Space Telescope Axial Replacement (COSTAR). This package of corrective optics is the size of a phone booth and was designed to send correctly focused light into Hubble's spectrographs, instruments that let scientists figure out the chemical makeup of stars and other celestial objects.

I really do have to see those the next time I'm in Washington... whenever that is.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

It is amazing how they practice in the NBL for space walks. But apparently and as i thought, nothing could truly replicate Zero G but Zero G itself.

Mike Mussino is a big baseball fan, he bought the home plate from the old Shea Stadium up on STS-125 with him.

Hubble 3D

NASA press release: NASA to Launch IMAX 3-D Camera to Film Hubble Servicing Mission

The IMAX 3-D cameras will launch aboard space shuttle Atlantis, which is scheduled to lift off May 11. Astronauts will use the cameras to film five spacewalks needed to repair and upgrade Hubble. The IMAX footage will be combined with breathtaking detailed images of distant galaxies from Hubble in the upcoming IMAX and Warner Bros. Pictures co-production, "Hubble 3D," set for release in spring 2010.
    It's coming. I saw the Hubble 3D trailer at 3D Avatar but forgot to mention its approach. It looked pretty awesome, at least for the geeky crowd. Check out the trailer if you haven't seen it.

Universe Today: Hubble IMAX 3-D Trailer

The trailer gives me chills, so I can only imagine what the actual movie is going to be like! Click on the image to watch. In theatres March 19, 2010.
    Stars the natural media star Mike Massimo, and a few of his coworkers.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Stars the natural media star Mike Massimo, and a few of his coworkers.
    Astronaut Mike Massimo is a guest on US CBS Late Night with David Letterman, June 30.
    Clip: Looking at Earth from space is like looking at Earth from Heaven (10 second ad, 2 minutes of video)
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Astronaut Mike Massimo is a guest on US CBS Late Night with David Letterman, June 30.
    Clip: Looking at Earth from space is like looking at Earth from Heaven (10 second ad, 2 minutes of video)
    Funny bit, paraphrased. He never dropped anything during an EVA. But... on a Hubble EVA he was going to do a favor for the next round of space walkers and install some sort of cable to something. He clipped the cable to himself, and got distracted by a problem, and for the next hour he worked with that cable flapping around. And not long before he was about to finally install it, he looked up and saw that cable floating past him and away. He grabbed it. I guess it was never firmly attached. He said it was funny thinking not that a cable was floating away, but the whole future of space astronomy, the whole future of the Hubble. It was close. He imagined the astronomy textbooks saying something along the lines of: "We would know the age of the Universe, except that Astronaut Mike Massimo..."

He's funny.

If only they had the entire interview...

Quote Originally Posted by Craigboy View Post
    If only they had the entire interview...

really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDSoKaKZVYE

you couldn't look for it yourself?
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDSoKaKZVYE

you couldn't look for it yourself?
    That's not the entire interview, which is a bit ironic that you didn't check it given your post.

He's funny.
    He is!

He's also a great NASA rep.