Thread: Do they really think the earth is flat?

Do they really think the earth is flat?

I saw this on the BBC website

In the 21st Century, the term "flat-earther" is used to describe someone who is spectacularly - and seemingly wilfully - ignorant. But there is a group of people who claim they believe the planet really is flat. Are they really out there or is it all an elaborate prank?

Nasa is celebrating its 50th birthday with much fanfare and pictures of past glories. But in half a century of extraordinary images of space, one stands out.

On 24 December 1968, the crew of the Apollo 8 mission took a photo now known as Earthrise. To many, this beautiful blue sphere viewed from the moon's orbit is a perfect visual summary of why it is right to strive to go into space.

Not to everybody though. There are people who say they think this image is fake - part of a worldwide conspiracy by space agencies, governments and scientists.

Welcome to the world of the flat-earther.
    Can not find the advert the article references

I do remember one, many years ago which was an advert for a cigar, where the captain of the sailing vessel refuses to turn back because he does not follow his sailors belief that the world is flat, and is convinced it is round. Suddenly the lookout shouts that they are at the edge of the world, and it is flat. So the captain lights the cigar and we follow him as the ship is swept by the currents off of the edge of the world.

Later there was an advert for a chocolate bar where they played on the myth that the ancients thought the world was flat.

Well, for a lot of purposes saying the world is flat seems like a very good approximation, indeed. Unless you are working with space travel, long distance travel, meteorology, radio communication, or anything "large scale", then the shape of the Earth could just as well be flat. You don't take the curvature of the Earth into account when building a house or baking a pizza.

Sunset and Sunrise are a 'local' event. The FE guys suggest that the sun doesn't set, it just gets smaller until you can't see it anymore.

Even on a small, human, caveman scale - the fact that you can't see anothe tribe marching towards your camp to slaughter you until they're a couple of miles away...(because of the curvature of the Earth). Tides, caused by the rotation of a round Earth with a moon orbiting it, are a local phenomenon.

I become part of the conspiracy with a bit of luck on Sat - I've prepared the camera payload for a high altitude balloon flight. 100,000ft+ with some luck - which is enough to see the curvature of the Earth - so clearly I'll be photoshopping every image to make sure it's in there

I'm worried though - that even though the water is kept in the southern ocean by the big ice wall they claim is protected by the military, what stops the atmosphere falling out? Our balloon might get to 40,000ft and then, poof - no more air, it all fell off the edge of the 'planet'.

Apollo Hoaxers, I can understand, to some extent ( although I disagree with, in the strongest terms ) why they think what they do.

Flat Earthers, however, I can not even begin to comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by djellison View Post
    I'm worried though - that even though the water is kept in the southern ocean by the big ice wall they claim is protected by the military, what stops the atmosphere falling out?
    It's a very TALL wall, jeesh.

Any theory that requires a massive, worldwide conspiracy to hold it up is 100% wrong. Someone's gonna squeak.

- Maha "flat-brained" Vailo

I rather suspect that there are no real flat-earthers, only people who find it amusing to pretend that they are flat-earthers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I saw this on the BBC website

Can not find the advert the article references

I do remember one, many years ago which was an advert for a cigar, where the captain of the sailing vessel refuses to turn back because he does not follow his sailors belief that the world is flat, and is convinced it is round. Suddenly the lookout shouts that they are at the edge of the world, and it is flat. So the captain lights the cigar and we follow him as the ship is swept by the currents off of the edge of the world.

Later there was an advert for a chocolate bar where they played on the myth that the ancients thought the world was flat.
    if the currents go off the edge of the world, then where does all the new water come from? surely, the oceans should have run out of water by now- i mean, the earth is 6,000 years old, after all...

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    if the currents go off the edge of the world, then where does all the new water come from? surely, the oceans should have run out of water by now- i mean, the earth is 6,000 years old, after all...
    Arrangements are made.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasJ View Post
    Arrangements are made.
    Heh

Come on, who have you been talking to? God makes more.

You know, separating the waters from the waters and all that. When the underground basins run dry he just zaps some more in.

Back in the sixties, there was a story in "Analog" (maybe by Harry Turtledove?) about the first voyage of Columbus. They had the beginnings of modern technology, but with medieval explanations. They had CW radio, but the monk who ran it explained that CW stood for "Cherubim Wing length"; the longer the wing, the greater the range.
    The story ends as they sail over the edge of the world.

I think there are very, very few true flat earthers and they only believe it because they think their religion requires the earth to be flat. I think if you can truly believe that the earth is flat despite everything you've been taught, then you'll have an easier time believing that everyone who proves otherwise is part of a conspiracy that's out to get you - conspiracies involving worldwide participation are pretty common, this is just the most extreme example. I'd love to see a reasonable explanation by a flat earther for why the sun doesn't change apparent size throughout the day and into sunset as it's supposed to "get smaller until you can't see it anymore" - any white light filtered telescope can show you that.

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    if the currents go off the edge of the world, then where does all the new water come from?
    From the rivers.

And before you ask: from the rain.

And before you ask: from the currents that go off the edge of the world.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Where are the Crimson assurance pirates now?
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Hi sticks, I have found the advert for you, it is about a 1/3 of the way through, but I'm sure you will enjoy watching the whole lot, it brought a load of memories back.

Hamlet
    The real art of conversation is not only saying the right thing at the right moment but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment. -- unknown