Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142
Results 4,231 to 4,236 of 4236

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It's not the copy editors. It's the money people, who assume that computers do just as good a job for less money.
    Yes, I should have been more careful with my word usage - perhaps a good copy editor would have helped me. The choice of many companies these days, based on what "the money people" say seems to be either outsource the editing or seemingly do away with it altogether. In Australia I know some news companies (using the word loosely) have sent the copy editing offshore purely to save money. This means, among other things, that the editing is not done with am ear to Australian usage or concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Iím about to start Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway and I can tell itís going to be heavy reading; the book weighs more than 1500 grams! Iíll have stronger biceps by the time Iím done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I wish I could find my copy of that!
    Are you aware of author Tony Tully's website?
    I found it! Now I've got something to keep me occupied that doesn't involve electronics!
    Of course, I might want to finish the e-book I'm working on first.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Osprey is giving away free ebooks. You need to register and use the code on their website, and of course, like military history. But still, really free ebooks. I'm going to check them out.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Osprey is giving away free ebooks. You need to register and use the code on their website, and of course, like military history. But still, really free ebooks. I'm going to check them out.
    Whoa, THANKS!
    Do good work. óVirgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Russell Coutts: Course to Victoryó probably the most sailing-focused sailorís memoir Iíve read yet. The only things Coutts says about his childhood that arenít sailing-related are that he had two brothers and a sister, moved to another city when he was 11, and had math and art as his best subjects at school, where he wasnít good at rugby but was good at golf. No fun anecdotes about listening to the moon landing on the radio or the like.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

This is interesting, but a little troubling. Internet Archive has an ebook library of books they have scanned. It normally has a checkout limit on the ebooks, but due to the emergency and much higher expected traffic (they argue for student needs) they decided to temporarily lift the checkout limit. There may be legal ramifications for them, and I hope they donít into a mess because they provide useful services.

Anyway, the link is:

https://archive.org/details/nationalemergencylibrary

and an article about it:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...r-free-online/

There might be some IP address limitations. When they were starting they were limited to California and a few other places. I donít know the status now. Reading a scanned book image isnít always the most fun. My experience is that a large tablet like an ipad pro is about the best option for something close to a book-like experience and even then I need to zoom in for decent sized text. But, they have a large selection of copyrighted books. Given my preferences, I am checking their science fiction and fantasy first.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser