Thread: We've lost D.C. Fontana

We've lost D.C. Fontana

D.C. Fontana, a longtime writer for various “Star Trek” series, has died. She was 80. ...

Fontana is credited for writing many episodes of the original “Star Trek” series and was essential to creating the backstory and culture of Spock’s Vulcan heritage. Her credits include episodes like “Yesteryear” and “Journey to Babel,” which introduced Spock’s father Sarek and mother Amanda. ...
    https://www.thewrap.com/dc-fontana-s...er-dies-at-80/
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Her work was pioneering at the time of the original TV series. RIP D.C.

I watched the original Star Trek in glorious B & W in the 1960's and did notice her name. She seemed to have been fairly young when she started writing for TV, at around 27. As a young woman in, what I assume was anyway, a male dominated area she must have had some pretty advanced and obvious talent.

I didn't do an obituary as I'd already written about her for Celebrating the Living. One of the four women I can think of who had the greatest influence on Star Trek.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I watched the original Star Trek in glorious B & W in the 1960's and did notice her name. She seemed to have been fairly young when she started writing for TV, at around 27. As a young woman in, what I assume was anyway, a male dominated area she must have had some pretty advanced and obvious talent.
    The use of initials, rather than by-lining herself "Dorothy", was one way of getting the talent to shine past the preconceptions. (See also C.L. Moore, one of the few female Golden Age science fiction authors.)
    The problem is still around today. Joanna Penn made a conscious and calculated decision to market her darker thrillers as "J.F. Penn", simply because there's still market resistance to female authors in that genre. She's far from alone in that.

(I once quite fancied the idea of by-lining myself using my initials rather than my first name, something that occurred to me when I started publishing scientific papers - I quite liked the look on the page, and thought I might let it spill over into my fiction. An editor persuaded me that it didn't actually suit the kind of fiction I was writing, but he also joked: "And if you do that everyone will think you're a woman!")

Grant Hutchison

J. K. Rowling uses her initials for that reason.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    J. K. Rowling uses her initials for that reason.
    Yes, it was a surprise to this ex-boy to learn that boys don't like reading books written by women. Must be a new policy of some kind, or perhaps my little pals and I didn't get the memo from Boy Central.
    Rowling's interesting, though, because she doesn't actually have a middle name. So not only did she switch to initials, she made up a middle name so that she could have a middle initial (I think she adopted the name of a relative). Presumably there's some prejudice against writers with only one initial, but I must have missed that memo as well.

Grant Hutchison