Page 137 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138 LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 4111

Thread: What are you reading?

I'm reading Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology, which I finished almost all of in a day.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I've just finished Maskelyne: Astronomer Royal, a collection of essays about the life and times of Nevil Maskelyne. A lot of interesting stuff about eighteenth century science generally and the Royal Society in particular, but (disappointingly for me) nothing about his gravitational work on Schiehallion.
    And, of course, it's always nice to see Maskelyne being treated fairly, rather than depicted as some sort of pantomime villain.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I've read part of it - gave up after a few chapters because it really wasn't to my taste.
    Huh. Thought you would've appreciated it.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Having not liked The Long Earth and The Long War all that much, I've moved onto The Long Mars anyhow. Apparently Pratchett and Baxter think that Bozeman, Montana, where I spent my college years, is in Idaho.
    Well, I went ahead and finished the series. Ok, but probably not something I'll re-read, and I re-read nearly everything.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Huh. Thought you would've appreciated it.
    It's more than a decade since I read it, but I recall feeling he really wasn't carrying off the various styles he attempted - odd choices of vocabulary or phrasing would keep jarring me out of the narrative. And the overall structure, which a lot of people seem to have liked, just felt contrived and pointless to me. With those distractions, I never got to the point of caring what happened to the characters.

Grant Hutchison

Picked Ben Bova's Jupiter off the bookcase the other day, time read some more outside in the lawn chair.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I'm reading Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology, which I finished almost all of in a day.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Voyage_to_Arcturus

it's a book of 1920 and a twisted version of norse mythology (one character is a god called Surtur - the local god of an alien planet). You may find the full text at Project Gutenberg...
    Last edited by Barabino; 2019-Jul-30 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barabino View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Voyage_to_Arcturus

it's a book of 1920 and a twisted version of norse mythology (one character is a god called Surtur - the local god of an alien planet). You may find the full text at Project Gutenberg...
    Apart from a couple of names, the story has no particular resemblance to Norse mythology that I can recall. What similiarities do you detect?

Grant Hutchison

A political screed I won't name for obvious reasons. The author is very unhappy about a situation he spent 30 years helping to create, and can't see it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    A political screed I won't name for obvious reasons. The author is very unhappy about a situation he spent 30 years helping to create, and can't see it.
    I wonder if it’s the one I read a review of in New York magazine a few months ago...
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Apart from a couple of names, the story has no particular resemblance to Norse mythology that I can recall. What similiarities do you detect?
    yo're right: only the names are linked :-| I know nothing of norse mythology (it was uninteresting for me in my teen age for its deadly sense of doom)

The Haynes Owners' Workshop Manual for Apollo 13. Absolutely the best technical description of Apollo 13 I've ever read, written by someone who was involved, as well as a positive gold-mine of information about the Apollo programme generally.

(I don't know how well acquainted people outside the UK will be with Haynes. They started out publishing automotive repair and maintenance manuals for owners, rather than mechanics. Time was, you'd buy a car and then go out and buy the corresponding Haynes manual. With the decline in user servicability in modern vehicles, they rebranded to some extent into producing "workshop manuals" for various iconic vehicles including aircraft and spacecraft, real and fictional. Their coverage of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programmes has been uniformly excellent, but Apollo 13 is the best of the bunch.)

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    The Haynes Owners' Workshop Manual for Apollo 13. Absolutely the best technical description of Apollo 13 I've ever read, written by someone who was involved, as well as a positive gold-mine of information about the Apollo programme generally.

(I don't know how well acquainted people outside the UK will be with Haynes. They started out publishing automotive repair and maintenance manuals for owners, rather than mechanics. Time was, you'd buy a car and then go out and buy the corresponding Haynes manual. With the decline in user servicability in modern vehicles, they rebranded to some extent into producing "workshop manuals" for various iconic vehicles including aircraft and spacecraft, real and fictional. Their coverage of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programmes has been uniformly excellent, but Apollo 13 is the best of the bunch.)

Grant Hutchison
    I have the Haynes manual for the Concorde, upon which aircraft I was an apprentice and involved in the weight reduction panic stage. It is excellent and I will look out for the Apollo 13 one.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Grant Hutchison
    I have the space shuttle one!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I have the space shuttle one!
    Would you recommend it?

Grant Hutchison

Would you recommend it?

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, I liked it a lot, although it’s been a while since I read it.

Currently reading Full Dark No Stars by Stephen King! Great book 😊

I'm "reading" Mill by David Macaulay. There are words, but the artwork is my main draw.
    Solfe

Those are really great books.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Rob Mundle’s Ocean Warriors, about the 2001-02 Volvo Ocean Race (technically the first one, as all previous editions were called the Whitbread Round the World Race). Aside from the sailing, a small and fascinating microcosm of a journey around the world in the immediate aftermath of the September 11th attacks and the associated security concerns.

Team News Corp, who the author was embedded with, seem to have been great people, but the “Rupert Murdoch is a cool, fun boss who let us put Bart Simpson on our hull!” parts have not aged well.

I have both a Haynes and a Chilton manual on my car--just in case. The book TERRAFORMING was done by some automobile press.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I have both a Haynes and a Chilton manual on my car--just in case. The book TERRAFORMING was done by some automobile press.
    The Society of Automotive Engineers, no less. I always wondered what the back story to that was.
    And Biggles!, the biography of "Captain" W.E. Johns, was rather strangely publlshed by Veloce, otherwise a self-styled "Publisher Of Fine Automotive Books".

Grant Hutchison

Catching Stardust: Comets, Asteroids and the Birth of the Solar System

It is late at night but I really enjoy reading this book by Natalia Starkey.

The Society of Automotive Engineers, no less. I always wondered what the back story to that was.
    And Biggles!, the biography of "Captain" W.E. Johns, was rather strangely publlshed by Veloce, otherwise a self-styled "Publisher Of Fine Automotive Books".

Grant Hutchison
    Well, a typical mechanic likes to have actual manuals where your can fix things--something that doesn't require tablets to be put at hazard. It costs money to print books--so you have to have some kind of side hustle--like how wrestling mags propped up Starlog for as long as it did--or Penthouse for OMNI

Pulled out 2001: A Space Odyssey last night and on the inside cover there was stamp from my old high school library. Either it was from a teacher who handed out books for us to read on our own or it was from the second hand bookstore and got sold to them, it was a bit funny.

I couldn't check out books at the Junior high library because they said I hadn't turned in a book I darn well did turn in.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I couldn't check out books at the Junior high library because they said I hadn't turned in a book I darn well did turn in.
    In middle school, what most people would call junior high,grades 6-8 for some students, 7 & 8 for others here (three different elementary schools feeding it), I helped in the library putting books away and checking them out. In high school I helped one day for an hour and got paid, I was dropped off to get the end of year report card and the only teacher to show up early enough was the librarian so I waited there and eventually he asked me to count some books until my home room teacher showed up.
    Well back to reading, it is overcast and some showers here and there kind of day.

Queen Emma And The Vikings, by Harriet O'Brien. It sounds like it might be a children's book, but it's actually a history of the three-way struggle for the English throne at the turn of the first millennium, centred on the life history of a Norman woman who was married to both the Anglo-Saxon Æthelred the "Unready" and the Danish Cnut the Great, and mother of both Edward the Confessor and Harthacnut, as well as being related to the Norman William the Conqueror.

Grant Hutchison

Edgar Pangborn's "Darkening World" stories - three novels and ten short stories. Having read them piecemeal as I discovered them in the '70s, and then in order of publication once I'd collected them all, I'm now reading them in order of their internal chronology, which spans about 700 years.
    They're all set in a post-apocalyptic New England, but the "science fiction" is the least important aspect - they're fundamentally stories about people trying to do their best under difficult circumstances. And if you haven't heard of Pangborn, then all I can tell you is that it was his writing that convinced Ursula K. Le Guin that it was possible to write deeply human stories using the mechanics of science fiction.

Grant Hutchison

Kinsey and Me, a collection of short stories by Sue Grafton.

"You can't erase icing."