Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The name of a book/story, please

Interesting story (with unbelievable parts of course)--

my favorite quote is in the middle:

"You know that game we sometimes play, sitting in a square in the Nest, tossing a ball around? Courage is like a ball, son. A person can hold it only so long, and then he's got to toss it to someone else. When it's tossed your way, you've got to catch it and hold it tight—and hope there'll be someone else to toss it to when you get tired of being brave."

A pail of air, thank your very much

Seems a good place to ask this one which I read a short story in an anthology many, many moons ago...

A rogue neutron star has passed through the Solar System, whisking Earth away from the Sun which has subsequently has frozen. A family live in a "nest" in a basement, insulated by thousands of blankets, and have to make regular expeditions out in improvised space suits to bring in buckets of frozen air to make up for the slow leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithne3753 View Post
    Seems a good place to ask this one which I read a short story in an anthology many, many moons ago...

A rogue neutron star has passed through the Solar System, whisking Earth away from the Sun which has subsequently has frozen. A family live in a "nest" in a basement, insulated by thousands of blankets, and have to make regular expeditions out in improvised space suits to bring in buckets of frozen air to make up for the slow leak.
    A Pail of Air by Fritz Leiber
    So many bugs, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithne3753 View Post

A Pail of Air, by Fritz Leiber.

ETA: Snap!

Grant Hutchison

Jinx!

Argh! If only I'd been on 17 minutes ago, I'd have been the hero!

A Pail of Air - once read, never forgotten!

Funny how the answer was given three posts before the question was asked

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

The answer is clear, Henrik. A certain number of posters here on BAUT are composed of anti-matter so naturally it seems as if the question followed the answer but what you just witnessed was a poster-anti-poster pair annihilation with the resultant posts going forward and backwards within the thread....

And since we're all here, don't forget Space-Time for Springers, also by Fritz.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Funny how the answer was given three posts before the question was asked
    If only I'd looked at page 2 of the thread...

I have another fantasy novel that I've been trying to dig up with no luck. The story is told from multiple viewpoints. Essentially the story is concerned with a nation run by wizards who have managed to resurrect one of their ancient heroes by forcing his spirit into a new body. There is a slave boy (captured from the enemy nation) who somehow displays magic talent and is grudgingly accepted for training in the wizard academy where he meets the daughter of the chief wizard. Somewhere along the way there ends up being a political power play between the warlord (the resurrected spirit) and the chief wizard and the daughter is caught up in the mix.

Can't remember much more beyond that. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Tes

alines

well. Mapnut posted his 'lost' short story elsewhere on the board. I've since posted it to a newsgroup, as well as several sciFi sites, and I've asked a couple of booksellers as well. Nothing. I've scoured every anthology available.
    Briefly: Aliens decontaminate the earth, after a war. They ask for the great artworks of earth in exchange. The US President ( Buckbinder ? ) substitutes american art, because of public outcry. The aliens bundle up and leave, saying something like ' Never trust an earthman "
    That's Mapnuts basic description... someone mentioned Stirling, or a possible Pied Piper theme running thru it, but I can't find anything.
    This came up on the Fun n games board, under 'take an idea, leave an idea "

mercy..

ALL these stories are familiar. And I have been scouring anthologies lately, all of which I read umpteen years ago... looking for Mapnuts missing story in particular.. in which: (to save Mapnut the trouble of re-posting
    Aliens clean up the earth after an apocalyptic war, and they ask for Earths great art works in exchange. The US president ( Buckbinder ? ) swtches in some american artwork, and the aliens are miffed and leave the earth in it's sad condition.
    This rings bells like crazy.. but there are a LOT of sciFi short stories out there.
    I have approx. 5000 shiFi short stories on my PC already..mostly pre-cyberpunk, 1980ish and before. So I can usually find things... or I can ask a few antiquarian book dealers, or find some reference on Wikpedia..but not this time. Maybe ' Buckbinder' isn't quite right..it's easy to mis-remember after enough years and enough stories.
    By using deductive logic ( ! ) we can assume a few things... The story was probably written at a time when environmental issues were coming on strong - 60s, 70s. It's probably by a 'lesser' writer, or someone would remember it. And it's funny, so that narrows it..... ShoulD be someone like Fredric Brown ... or Sheckley..or Harrison..or someone who wrote 'political' sci-fi.
    Keith Laumer had all these great diplomats and politicians in the Retief series..with names like ' Crodwallop' and ' Barnshingle'... but no luck. Yet.
    We will find them ALL ! No story is too obscure to escape ! The noose is tightening ! Back with, hopefully, some answers.

In 1958, Robert Sheckley published a short story in Infinity called "Accept No Substitutes". I don't seem to have a copy here, I can't find a synopsis on-line, and I'm not sure whether it has been anthologized. Given that we've both come up with the name Sheckley, J Riff, I thought I'd mention this in case someone (cough, mike alexander, cough, cough) has a copy on the shelf they can check.

ETA: Okay, I've seen the cover art for "Accept No Substitutes" -- maybe this isn't your story after all.
    Last edited by ABR.; 2010-Apr-05 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added comment about cover art

Cubed

ClosetGeek, it looks like your pal was talking about ' Why do Birds " 1992 by Damon Knight.
    I was lucky enough to meet Knight back in the 80s, his early stuff is great and I spedread thru this one, and it looks interesting. )

Better, better, bester.

ToSeek, perhaps you are thinking of ' The Demolished Man' by Alfred Bester, an early Hugo winner. ?

No, ToSeek's story is definitely not The Demolished Man. That involved telepaths, but took place on Earth and did not involve telepathic control of others.

Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesarra View Post
    The story is told from multiple viewpoints. Essentially the story is concerned with a nation run by wizards who have managed to resurrect one of their ancient heroes by forcing his spirit into a new body. There is a slave boy (captured from the enemy nation) who somehow displays magic talent and is grudgingly accepted for training in the wizard academy where he meets the daughter of the chief wizard. Somewhere along the way there ends up being a political power play between the warlord (the resurrected spirit) and the chief wizard and the daughter is caught up in the mix.
    Tes,

This sounds like Magician by Raymond E. Feist.

Lightbulb no..

yes..I see an Ace double... but maybe not ..I am reminded of Silverberg re: ToSeeks story (novel ? ) ....
    MapNuts is still the nutcracker tho ... we may never find that story.... might have to end up writing it. )

Not SF, but maybe someone can help... A short story where Don Quixote was a real person and the main character is writing a novel about a fictional author (called Cervantes) writing a book about Don Quixote ... (or something like that). I thought it was by Paul Auster, but when I went back to the only one of his books I have it wasn't in there.

A friend of mine who teaches a course in Native American history is trying to locate a story. I think I recall seeing it in an anthology during the late 60's/early 70's, possibly a hard cover from the Science Fiction Book Club.

The title of the story is something like "As Long as the Grass Shall Grow" and is a reference to the text in treaties made between the US government and Native American tribes.

The treaty would state that the terms would hold for "as long as the sun shall rise and the grass shall grow" or something similar.

In this story, the government broke such a treaty. As the story ends, the grass has stopped growing and the characters are still waiting for the sun rise.

Anybody know this one?

Thanks.
    "It's not the things we don't know that hurt us, It's the things we do know that aren't so.” --Artemus Ward

“It never ceases to amaze me how utterly unintelligent a person can be and still believe they are somehow accomplishing something.” --Interdimensional Warrior

The name Mike Resnick sprung to mind, but from what you say the story is probably too early. Other authors who might have done something like that include Clifford D. Simak, Robert Silverberg and Chad Oliver, but I really don't know.

Google suggests Analog science fiction/science fact, Volume 90, Issues 1-3‎ - Page 55.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I know I've read it, but I don't remember where. One possibility is Dangerous Visions.

I have copies of Dangerous Visions and Again Dangerous Visions, and it's not in either.
    "It's not the things we don't know that hurt us, It's the things we do know that aren't so.” --Artemus Ward

“It never ceases to amaze me how utterly unintelligent a person can be and still believe they are somehow accomplishing something.” --Interdimensional Warrior

What about The Last Dangerous Vision?

Seriously, I'm wondering if Fred Pohl could be the author. He wrote something similar years later.

I remember a couple of stories/books as a child that I'd like to find more information about. One was about some kids (brothers?) who make a homemade rocket and launch it from their yard I think.. I remember they desribed how the rocket engine left some melted glass on the surface of the rock they used as a launch pad. That's all I recall, though.

The other one is about a boy who ends up having telepathic conversations with an alien.

Not much to go on, but I recall they were for fairly young readers, and would have had to be in print by the early 1980s (if not before).

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Ferro View Post
    IThe other one is about a boy who ends up having telepathic conversations with an alien.
    Could be Chocky by John Whyndham. I remember a story about a child who had to turn round a certain number of times at the end of the day to "unwind" everything he had done during the day; turned out this was because he was linked to some distant star. Not sure if that was Chocky or something else though...

Chocky sounds right re Christopher Ferro's query. I am fairly certain the "unwinding" thing was not in Chocky, though.