Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderators: The Next Generation

Moderators: The Next Generation

After extensive discussion amongst the existing moderators, the administrators, and numerous candidates, we've added the following moderators:

PetersCreek
    hhEb09'1
    captain swoop
    tusenfem
    Sticks
    pzkpfw
    chrissy

Please welcome them into their new roles.
    Last edited by ToSeek; 2008-Dec-04 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Added chrissy now that she's official
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Sticks!??...I've just pulled him up over an
    apostrophe! Oh Gawd...

Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    And, put 'em to work! Give 'em a trial run. Let's see how they handle the curves.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Any nubie power trips get locked in a room with me overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Welcome;

Actually; I was a bit worried that Next Generation meant out with the old, except for maybe a single cameo post here and there.

The list is not what I would have expected, but from my point of view I'm sure things are different than in the moderator communication world.

Since it's the same moderators that I trust that have compiled this list, I'm starting off with a good opinion of it.

Speaking of old mods... Where is Serenitude?!

Good luck to our new shepherds and sentries, and have mercy on me.

I would expect 01101001 among them. Ive always seen him as a kind of informal mod to this board.

Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    Sticks!??...I've just pulled him up over an
    apostrophe! Oh Gawd...
    Yeah, and with him you're not going to get banned, you'll just end up in a pot full of boiling lentils.

Quote Originally Posted by Argos View Post
    I would expect 01101001 among them. Ive always seen him as kind of an informal mod to this board.
    Oh, I hope not

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Yeah, and with him you're not going to get banned, you'll just end up in a pot full of boiling lentils.
    Actually, I can see Sticks starting three threads all at once about not only can he not post on the BA Blog, but he can't get his Mod buttons to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Actually, I can see Sticks starting three threads all at once about not only can he not post on the BA Blog, but he can't get his Mod buttons to work.
    Actually I have been into the moderator's secret lair already, but it will I suppose take a while for all of us to get to speed.

This is a great honour and I hope to live up to it, and try and get my apostrophes correct

I can not believe I did that?

Why waste good lentils?

I, for one, welcome our new BAUT overlords.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Yes, congradulations to the new mods! And remember (the old mods already know this) ...any "offending" posts under the name "Fazor" obviously came from a skilled and devious hacker, and not myself. :whistles:

Any nubie power trips get locked in a room with me overnight.
    Nubie? ha.

Some things I haven't shared before:

Moderator role model: Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III
    Preferred appellation: Your Munificence (or, Grapes, Pace, etc.)
    Favorite torture device: Thumbscrew
    Favorite forum: BAUT
    Favored BAUT posters: ATMers
    Favorite emolument: Your munificence

Thanks again for the invitation and the welcome!

Oh...and payment of bribes is to be made in single malt scotch by direct deposit. Islay preferred.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Hmm. I do hope this is a joke. There is at least one name on that list who I do not care to accept moderation from. Sorry to be blunt, but I think I will be bowing out, or banned in short order, whichever comes first. Obviously, if asked, I'll PM my reservations to a current moderator before I go.

Thanks for the warning! -jokes-

Actually; I was a bit worried that Next Generation meant out with the old, except for maybe a single cameo post here and there.
    Actually, that's my plan.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They dont alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Welcome and congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Oh...and payment of bribes is to be made in single malt scotch by direct deposit. Islay preferred.
    There was a program on some station (History Channel? Food Channel?) about the making of Kentucky bourbon. By state law, the casks used to age the liquor can only be used once. Used casks are sold to distillers in Scotland to make Scotch.

Which means your Islay may have a little taste of Kentucky to it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They dont alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by agingjb View Post
    Hmm. I do hope this is a joke. There is at least one name on that list who I do not care to accept moderation from. Sorry to be blunt, but I think I will be bowing out, or banned in short order, whichever comes first. Obviously, if asked, I'll PM my reservations to a current moderator before I go.
    Part of being a Moderator is Moderation.

The Mods actually lose expressive freedom by accepting that position- They need to set an example and try to NEVER screw up.

Hopefully you will stick around and continue to contribute. Because in the end, it's unlikely enmity between you and Mystery Mod can actually alter your participation- Unless you choose to make it so.

I admit, there is at least one Current Moderator- not a new one- Who I have a personal dissatisfaction with and concerns about being on the receiving end of his moderation.
    Yet, I have participated (badly) on this forum for some time now without it actually becoming an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by hhEb09'1 View Post
    Nubie? ha.

Some things I haven't shared before:

Moderator role model: Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III
    Preferred appellation: Your Munificence (or, Grapes, Pace, etc.)
    Favorite torture device: Thumbscrew
    Favorite forum: BAUT
    Favored BAUT posters: ATMers
    Favorite emolument: Your munificence
    I have no freaking clue what you just said!!

Although, it raises an interesting thought: What if HuB' was a Moderator?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Actually I have been into the moderator's secret lair already, but it will I suppose take a while for all of us to get to speed.
    Irony- I have been in a Moderator Secret Lair, not on this forum. A different one, quite by accident when and Admin gave me the wrong permissions without realizing it.
    I could read all the threads that were talking about me behind my back.

I PM'ed the Admin and alerted him to the fact, which he was baffled how he could make such an error...

But I actually know what Mod Secret Lairs look like
    Last edited by Neverfly; 2008-Dec-04 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Admin- I meant

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    And, put 'em to work! Give 'em a trial run. Let's see how they handle the curves.
    For $10 by paypal I'll upgrade you to 01001001.

(insert smiley here)

agingjb : Whatever problem you've had in discussions with whomever you have had trouble with - should not affect the way that they act in the role of moderator. Moderators are not above reproach, either, and if you feel unfairly or badly treated you could raise it with the others - when and if it happens.

I for one, will concentrate on deleting SPAM before moving on to the "good stuff" like banning people who mis-use apostrophe's'es.

Cheers,
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    There was a program on some station (History Channel? Food Channel?) about the making of Kentucky bourbon. By state law, the casks used to age the liquor can only be used once. Used casks are sold to distillers in Scotland to make Scotch.

Which means your Islay may have a little taste of Kentucky to it.
    Yep, it just might. "Finishing" in other barrels/casks, such as those that held sherry or port for examples, is also common...but not so much on Islay. It's more of a Highland thing, I think.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Welcome;

The list is not what I would have expected, but from my point of view I'm sure things are different than in the moderator communication world.

Since it's the same moderators that I trust that have compiled this list, I'm starting off with a good opinion of it.
    There are several people whom we thought would be excellent moderators who didn't think they could devote enough time and attention to the responsibility. So that there are some established posters not being made moderators should not be assumed to be a slighting of them.

I should add that this is probably not a complete list as there's at least one offer still pending.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Although, it raises an interesting thought: What if HuB' was a Moderator?
    Nobody, including the other mods, would actually know if someone got banned or not.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Gratz to you all. I have to say that I'm a bit surprised by the number of new mods. After a very thinly veiled hint a month or so back I figured a new batch was on the way, but I was expecting three, maybe five.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Congrats everyone. Good to see there's a nice spread in timezones too.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

But I actually know what Mod Secret Lairs look like

I just nipped backstage with my Batman key, and I discovered an interesting button that the mods have.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    I just nipped backstage with my Batman key, and I discovered an interesting button that the mods have.

Interesting, puzzling but probably tends to confirm that my mostly happy and interesting interaction with BAUT is coming to an end.