Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
Results 1,021 to 1,027 of 1027

Thread: Adventures in DIY

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I quite like the frame. It sets off the map very nicely.

That's why I take the lazy approach of cutting spline slots after gluing the miters, as in my last frame project. Of course, that method doesn't lend itself to understated splines as in your project.
    I may do that after gaining confidence with the gluing. As it was, I wanted the splines in place to help hold it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Wow, that wormiest piece does have a lot of character. Have you considered filling the voids with epoxy? How punky is it?
    If I understand the term 'punky' correctly, it's not too bad. I believe epoxy would work. But no, I hadn't thought of that.

I first heard "punky" when my late father-in-law was helping me build a fence. Around four decades ago. It kind of works. We wound up with only just enough non-punky material to finish the job.
    Al was kind of a cool guy. When he came to build the fence, he brought his thermos and lunchbox, just like he did to work. I miss him, and he's been gone at least 25 years.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I really like my Sawstop table saw. Although a bit pricey, it's worth every penny. Easy to use and doesn't seem to require any adjustments (so far), unlike the last saw I had which would seemingly out of the blue regularly demand that I adjust the trunnions.

So, today I was going to use it to make some dado cuts for the first time. The dado blades are smaller in diameter than the regular blades so I figured I needed to disable the safety system (the fancy and expensive brake cartridge) in order for it to run. Well, no. I'm sure other Sawstop users already knew this: not only can you not disable the safety system when the machine has an error code (as it does when the blade is not close enough to the brake cartridge, as it isn't with the smaller dado blades) but you can't adjust the standard cartridge to accommodate the smaller blades. You need a separate dado cartridge, which I don't have. Gah.

I'm sure someone already informed me of this; maybe even here on this forum. But I forgot. I even have a blank zero-clearance dado insert ready to go. Amazon!

I don't remember if I mentioned the need for the dado brake cartridge but, yeah...gotta. Not only does it accommodate the smaller diameter, it's also designed to handle the additional width and mass of the stack. On another forum, several of us had a tough time explaining to "Mr. NewbieMaster Woodworker" that he shouldn't just buy a 10" dado stack and use the standard brake, which is only rated for a 3/16" maximum kerf.

And as with military kit, two brakes are one. One is none.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Latest version of 'you can't have too many clamps'. My trinket chest made out of walnut. I decided not use the 'wormy' piece - I'll save that for later.

I was initially concerned that I didn't have a way to ensure it was square during glue-up but then realized I could sandwich it in between two right-angle positioning thingies. Worked fine.

Also, obligatory cat assistant photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2312 smaller.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	24843

Name:	IMG_2307 smaller.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	969.2 KB 
ID:	24844

Name:	IMG_2308 smaller.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	24845

I'm replacing the brakes on my car. One of my coworkers told me: "I had a Dart. The brakes are easy." A second woman walked up to me a work and told me: "Hey, I used to do my daughter's brakes. Here is my number if you need anything." A third person lent me a really nice jack, wheel chocks, etc.

I feel like I have a pit crew behind me.
    Solfe