Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in DIY

Hey, don't complain about working on tightly packed motorcycles. Working on a car is like working on a motorcycle, but you're not allowed to take it out of its shipping container first. ;-)

Ha ha. That's why I take my pickup to the shop!

So, broken screw extracted? I'd love to see how.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    So, broken screw extracted? I'd love to see how.
    The gadget for that is on the way from Woodcraft. (Any excuse to buy a new tool, eh?)

I'll update with the results.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Do you then glue in a plug of wood or something?

Yep. Since this plug will be hidden by the hinge, it can a plain old hardwood dowel, rather than a grain matched plug.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Adventures in DIY

Well, that wasnt fun. The screw extractor came in the mail yesterday and I was looking forward to making quick work of the broken screw with it.

Because its basically a hole saw, which is prone to wandering at the beginning of a cut, I made a guide by drilling a hole in a scrap piece and clamping it in place over the hole.

Still, the bit wandered somewhat and since it was such a close fit over the screw, it made contact and sheared some teeth from the bit. The bit is double-ended but those teeth were embedded in the hole and would only shear more teeth off if I tried the other end. So I had to enlarge the hole with a chisel, free the shards with a dental pick, then continue with the good end of the extractor. Of course, simply plugging the hole with a dowel was no longer an option, so I filled the cavity with epoxy.

I set that box aside and began cutting hinge mortises on the other box. This went much better. The fit was nice and tight.

Once all the hinges are in place on both boxes, Ill transfer their locations to the lids and cut those mortises.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I have a similar problem. My piano has the lowest note hammer loose because the single screw holding it into the frame sheared off. It's very unusual to have that happen. I was thinking of making a drill jig for a very small drill in a Dremel to drill the centre out then find a left hand screw extractor. I think they exist.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Short session in the shop today but I got one lid mortised and fitted:

I mounted some shiplap in my wife's room this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shiplap_Complete.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	24422  

I recently resumed working on a long-term project: duplicating a Pakistani chest of drawers. The drawers will have recessed panels of solid mahogany, one quarter inch thick. My plan was to resaw the panels from thicker stock and that worked well for the first one that I did some time ago but the bandsaw started complaining quite a bit as I tried to do more. I guess the blade is shot (I'm aware that bandsaw blades are something of a consumable but I don't have a spare on hand. Not a spare wide blade anyway).

My solution was to put a thin kerf blade in the table saw and cut though the stock from both sides, leaving about an inch and a half in the center to hold the wood together. Then I cut through that section with the bandsaw, which didn't complain nearly as much. Each panel then made a couple of passes through the planer to size them correctly. Probably should have taken photos.

It all worked out but I guess I need a new bandsaw blade. I'm thinking of ordering a Timberwolf blade.

Adventures in DIY

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I'm thinking of ordering a Timberwolf blade.
    Its a bit spendy but Im quite pleased with my Resaw King.

I finished the other lids hinge mortises yesterday. That means today was sanding & finishing day. I had pre-sanded everything to 150-grit, so I started with 220 to hand sand a few details and lightly ease all edges and corners. The big flats got the ROS treatment with the same grit.

After blowing all the dust off, I applied my homemade finish: beeswax, boiled linseed oil, and turpentine. I allowed that to sit for about 20 minutes, then rubbed it in/off. Lots of rubbing.

Next, comes fuming.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2019-Jul-29 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    It’s a bit spendy but I’m quite pleased with my Resaw King.
    I imagine you are. The 3/4" RK blade is about four times the price of a Timberwolf, although I understand the RK can be re-sharpened. I can buy a whole lot of clamps - or beer - with the savings if I buy TW. I don't do much resawing.

Your boxes are looking sweet, by the way.

You are great..! You have done beautifully. Inspirational you are for all. Most of the people not doing this they hire someone else who does it better.

Your boxes are looking sweet, by the way.
    Thanks!

I know a lot of woodworkers like them but I had an unsatisfactory experience with my first and only TW blade. Bad weld. Bad enough that I just couldn't get over questioning their overall quality even though my sample size was only one. I've had good luck with Laguna's Pro Force line of blades, which is price competetive with TW. I've also heard good things about the Woodslicer brand but I've never used them myself.

I finally completet a DYI project, all by myself. The idea started to germinate about a year ago when the Mr. and I were looking for a coffee table. After going to a bunch of different furniture stores, we tried Pier 1. We didn't find the coffee table but I saw a swingasan chair for the first time and fell in love with it. They take up a lot of space and spent months trying to find a place to put one or two. I finally got the idea to rearrange the garden in front of my dining room window. I have been wanting to get rid of the mulch and replace it with lava rocks since I moved in, so how much worse could it be to relocate 13 shrubs and lay down some concrete tiles?

I didn't take into account how hard it was going to be getting all the mulch out, it never dawned on me how level the ground has to be in order to avoid wobbling tiles, and finally, they ought to include the weight of said concrete tiles in the dimensions. I lifted the first tile and put it on the cart with a lot of heaving and grunting and thought, "One down, 23 to go." I ended up having to rent a truck to get the tiles and rocks home because there was no way my little Cruze was going to handle that much weight. After I got all my supplies, all the mulch was cleared, garden liner pinned down, plants were relocated, and the ground seemed to be leveled, I put down six tiles to test my measurements--shift an inch this way, a quarter inch that way, finally just right, I walk on them and they are all wobbly. Ugh! I did not think this through. I am going to need a better plan. Back to Lowe's I went, this time to get a 10x10 tamper. That's when I learned that all the digging, lifting, shifting...that was child's play compared to tamping. Hours of pounding the dirt, raking more dirt into a certain spot, raking dirt out of a certain spot, pounding, rinse repeat...my hands were destroyed. When it finally got to a point where it was good enough for me, I had to decide if I was going to call it quits for the day and finish in the morning or just power through; I powered through. After all was said and done, the only thing left was to pick up the chairs the next morning.

The Pier 1 near my house only had the stands but I was able to pay for the chairs there and pick them up in Viera (about 30 minutes north of me). With the right Tetris skills, against the employees bets, I was able to fit the stands in the car. I dropped them off at my house and then headed to Viera to pick up the chairs. I knew the dimensions and knew there was no way I was fitting them in the car, so I brought my straps and figured I would strap them to the roof. I get all the way there and the saleswoman tells me to bring my car around. She comes outside and says that I can't strap my chairs to my roof, it's store policy. Of course I can, because store policy does not legally extend beyond what I do with my purchase, after I've purchased it. The manager comes out and I am trying to stay calm. She says, "Lowe's rents trucks, just go rent a truck and then you can take it home."
    "You want me to rent a truck here, bring the chairs all the way home, then come all the way back, and then drive all the way home again? Are you paying for the time and gas?"
    "I'm sorry ma'am. It's store policy. There's a liability..."
    "Yeah, the liability is on my insurance because it those are my chairs strapped to my roof."
    "But it's our product."
    "Except it's no longer your product because, you see, I bought it."
    "I can't release them to you. I'm sorry," and she walks into the store

I am so upset at this point, I am almost in tears. My best friend is coming to spend the night, tomorrow, and the biggest motivator was imagining spending Wednesday morning, sipping coffee on my swingasans with my best friend. Being forced drive down to Lowe's, spend a half hour getting the truck, driving it back to Pier 1, getting the chairs on the truck, driving home, driving back, waiting for the truck to be inspected again, and then driving all the way back home...we are talking adding hours onto this task. I should have just told her to refund me for the chairs and call it a day but I didn't want to give up on my chairs. I called Mr. Closetgeek and he borrowed the transport van from work. I got my chairs and vowed to never spend another dime at Pier 1. I have my garden and all is right with the world.

I am attempting to link a picture of the final project below but I always get errors when I try to upload pictures. We'll see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66636512_2198299590219337_6152410629975048192_o.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	322.0 KB 
ID:	24451

I know a lot of woodworkers like them but I had an unsatisfactory experience with my first and only TW blade. Bad weld. Bad enough that I just couldn't get over questioning their overall quality even though my sample size was only one. I've had good luck with Laguna's Pro Force line of blades, which is price competetive with TW. I've also heard good things about the Woodslicer brand but I've never used them myself.
    I believe my existing 1/2 inch blade is a Woodslicer, which I bought from Highland Hardware when I lived in Atlanta. It works fine but maybe is a little too dull now for resawing. It's the one that started complaining during this last resaw. 1/2 inch is, of course, not ideal for resaw work so I'm shopping for a 3/4 inch blade, the maximum width my saw will handle. I'm starting to lean towards the more expensive, better blade. I tend not to skimp on blades for the table saw so why do so with the band saw?

On a side note, shopping for tools is one of life's pleasures.

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post

I am attempting to link a picture of the final project below but I always get errors when I try to upload pictures. We'll see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66636512_2198299590219337_6152410629975048192_o.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	322.0 KB 
ID:	24451
    Looks nice!

On a side note, shopping for tools is one of life's pleasures.
    Indeed it is...but not for my wife. It's all in good-natured fun but whenever we go to Seattle, she complains (melo)dramatically about going to the 'Woodcrap' store with me.

Indeed it is...but not for my wife. It's all in good-natured fun but whenever we go to Seattle, she complains (melo)dramatically about going to the 'Woodcrap' store with me.
    When we go to Tacoma, Harbor Freight is next to the craft store. A win-win!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    When we go to Tacoma, Harbor Freight is next to the craft store. A win-win!
    I never dared pushed my luck by suggesting we visit the HF store just down the street from Woodcraft. We usually have a busy list of things to do before checking in to the hotel and it's bad enough that there's a cigar shop next door to Woodcraft. Oh, the double indignity of it! But we did visit the Wenatchee location during our last trip to Leavenworth.

I'm rather astounded you would even consider darkening the door of Harbor Freight!

I don't think I've even bought anything there in three or four years. But I enjoy walking around. My rule of HF is to use it for stuff I'll use a limited amount and probably won't kill me. We've probably got about 15 of their little 9-LED flashlights, and I've got a measuring wheel and 100 meter tape to track my catapulting failures. For power tools, I go just slightly better with Ryobi.

Id never been in none so I figured, what the heck. I picked up a large plastic rafter square and some nitrile gloves. If we had one locally, I doubt Id shop power tools there, though.

I like Harbor Freight. It's fun to browse. Sure, they don't have a great line of name-brand, top-quality tools but they have a lot of cool stuff.

I miss Highland Hardware. Browsing there was not only fun but damaging to my wallet.

You decide which is more boring: watching wood fume...

...or...

You decide which is more boring: watching wood fume...

[.or...
    You could make the 'fuming' a "slow TV special" like these - https://www.sbs.com.au/programs/slow-summer

I am in the midst of a DIY misadventure in which my kitchen/laundry drain suddenly clogged up while the clothes washer was discharging a full load of water. The water ended up on the floor and on the underlying drywall ceiling in the room below it. Upon opening up a cleanout plug down under I could see what I had neglected in preventive measures. The drain cleaner instructions, which called for an ounce of the enzyme concentrate followed by a pint of warm water down the kitchen sink drain, are only valid for a clog in the trap under the sink. This one appears to have been sludge that had accumulated in a long run of nearly horizontal pipe downstream from the sink. This goes into a vertical pipe that also receives the laundry drainage and then goes into about 6 feet of nearly horizontal pipe that is accessible from the cleanout plug. I looked in there and saw lots of sludge. That pipe goes into about 5 feet of vertical pipe that empties into the main sewer pipe to the street. I have now figured out how to get the enzyme stuff into the downstream trouble spots effectively, and I will need to flush the whole thing frequently with plenty of water. I am hoping not to need to replace the ceiling drywall. I am going to try letting it dry out, and then repair the joints and give it a new coat of paint.

According to the water authority I am using less than half as much water as the neighborhood average. That makes sense because I am living here alone. It will not break the bank to use a lot of water for the flushing.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    You could try very hot water trickled in gradually increasing the rate. Most sludges will soften and flow in hot water.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    You could try very hot water trickled in gradually increasing the rate. Most sludges will soften and flow in hot water.
    I did that last night for that long inaccessible stretch between the kitchen sink and the laundry. I am guessing that some of the gook I saw through the cleanout fitting had just washed down from up there.

My theory now is that a gob of sludge that had not previously caused trouble shifted suddenly near the cleanout and temporarily blocked the laundry discharge. The water backed up into the kitchen sink and made it look and smell as if someone had puked there. I was getting ready to get a hose to siphon the water out of the sink when the clog suddenly broke loose and the water gushed down the drain. After that I flushed it out with lots of hot water and then opened up the cleanout fitting.

My chore now is to use my big wet/dry shop vacuum cleaner to slurp up the water that leaked through the joints in the downstairs ceiling and soaked parts of the carpet below it. The floor under the carpet is a concrete slab on the ground, so there should be no further water damage down there.

Finally done: