Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1354

Thread: Adventures in DIY

But at least her car is in the garage? We have 2 garages here and her car is in neither of them. One garage houses my classic car which is in an undrivable state plus my workshop; the oher garage I use for my job.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

We also have two garages, although the old one is only marginally capable of holding two cars. We have three vehicles, so could nominally house them all inside. But what's actually in the old one is my trailer-mounted catapult and a lot of junk, so two are now out.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Our first garage could hold one car if you'd place little else in there. Our second garage can only hold one short car. That's why I buy old sports cars. I have no other choice.

The first couple of pop coats of shellac are on:

To be continued after a light sanding.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Our first garage could hold one car if you'd place little else in there. Our second garage can only hold one short car. That's why I buy old sports cars. I have no other choice.
    The difference between Europe and the USA!

Well, the guy who built our house was stupid. The second garage was for his trailer, but if he had made it 50cm longer any car would fit in. The roof beams were placed at 1.9m because he was small, but if he had placed them at normal height you could place normal ceilings there.

What is Europe vs Usa though, is that single car garages are standard here and double ones not so common. Even though many peiple have 2 cars.

Three coats of shellac, same with lacquer a coat of paste wax, aaaand done...and with two days to spare, even.

Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Once again, a beautiful result. Well done.

Yes, beautiful.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Yes, another beautiful work of art.

A few days ago, I did a little work on my project. Yesterday, I re-did it, because it didn't look quite like what I wanted. Today, I re-re-did it. I think it's ok now.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Three coats of shellac, same with lacquer a coat of paste wax, aaaand done...and with two days to spare, even.

I am also fond of woodworking, but I haven’t tried making boxes yet. So far, I am making products simpler. Recently I ordered a Bosch woodworking router (model MRC23EVSK) and something tells me that now it will be much more interesting for me to develop my hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Burton View Post
    Recently I ordered a Bosch woodworking router (model MRC23EVSK) and something tells me that now it will be much more interesting for me to develop my hobby.
    I have that model in my small stable of routers. It works quite well in handheld use but because of the way its electrically connected to its base, it isnt suited for use in a table lift. The plunge base can be mounted directly to a router table insert, however, and the micro adjust feature (which is accessible from above the table) works well in that application.

As for the recently completed urn box, we delivered it during our trip to Minnesota last week and it made my sister-in-law cry..so it went over well. Her dear pup fit into it comfortably. If anyone has occasion to make one, allow one cubic inch per pound of live weight. I think I added another five or so, just in case.

I just bought a DeWalt 20V cordless router, model DCW600B. Hasn't arrived yet.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I just bought a DeWalt 20V cordless router, model DCW600B. Hasn't arrived yet.
    I look forward to hearing your opinions on it. I don't recall it being available when I bought it's corded cousin, the DWP611PK. According to the DeWalt web site, I could use my current plunge base with the cordless model, too.

I also have the DW618PK and I wonder if a cordless version is in the works.

My coffee table project is complete. I think it turned out well - pretty much how I'd envisioned it. White oak throughout (except for drawer cases). The two drawers slide out to opposite sides. I was going to put drawer pulls on them but the slides work so smoothly, they aren't needed (and can be added later if necessary). Chuck (cat) and Koda (dog) for scale and context.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E6384.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	725.3 KB 
ID:	26115

Very nice, clean lines. I especially like how you nose-mortised the dog into the end of the table. The cat finial was also a nice touch.

Thanks. I had planned on two cat finials but the elder girl refused to be involved.

But is the finish going to show footprints and noseprints?

Everything shows nose prints. Everything.

One thing is that the increased height of the table inhibits the dog from easily grazing on food bowls and such. That wasn't a design consideration, just a bonus.

One thing is that the increased height of the table inhibits the dog from easily grazing on food bowls and such. That wasn't a design consideration, just a bonus.
    And the lower shelf looks like a perfect place for Andy and/or Chuck to take a cat nap.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My coffee table project is complete. I think it turned out well - pretty much how I'd envisioned it. White oak throughout (except for drawer cases). The two drawers slide out to opposite sides. I was going to put drawer pulls on them but the slides work so smoothly, they aren't needed (and can be added later if necessary). Chuck (cat) and Koda (dog) for scale and context.
    Very nice geonuc. And yes, there's such satisfaction when the drawers fit perfectly and the slides operate smoothly. I'd probably be opening and closing them for minutes at a time just to savor the precision.

That table is looking sharp, congrats!

My DIY adventures have been focusing on modifying old Sega game consoles to work on modern TV's. I had modified them for RGB SCART and 60Hz speed already. The latest effort was using CSYNC for a Master System II instead of composite sync. Result: no more checkerboard artifacts! Very perfect image now. I wanted to modify the Mega Drive (Genesis on your side of the Atlantic Puddle) to CSYNC as well to reduce the "jail bars" artifact, but the cable's connector is "cast" so I cannot disassemble it. I'll have to order a new connector, which costs as much as the entire cable. And then hope CSYNC solves the jail bars indeed.

I suspect "cast" is what we'd call "potted"; that is, embedded in solid epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I have that model in my small stable of routers. It works quite well in handheld use but because of the way it’s electrically connected to its base, it isn’t suited for use in a table lift. The plunge base can be mounted directly to a router table insert, however, and the micro adjust feature (which is accessible from above the table) works well in that application.

As for the recently completed urn box, we delivered it during our trip to Minnesota last week and it made my sister-in-law cry..so it went over well. Her dear pup fit into it comfortably. If anyone has occasion to make one, allow one cubic inch per pound of live weight. I think I added another five or so, just in case.
    Well, I think it's not so easy to find a universal tool that can work in different directions. I believe that if my hobby develops further, I will need to buy other devices.

It's great that your relatives really liked the box. She's really made with high quality and soul. The photo shows that you really did your best.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I suspect "cast" is what we'd call "potted"; that is, embedded in solid epoxy.
    In any case no screw, lip, thread or anything else that can be undone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    That table is looking sharp, congrats!
    Thank you!

My DIY adventures have been focusing on modifying old Sega game consoles to work on modern TV's. I had modified them for RGB SCART and 60Hz speed already. The latest effort was using CSYNC for a Master System II instead of composite sync. Result: no more checkerboard artifacts! Very perfect image now. I wanted to modify the Mega Drive (Genesis on your side of the Atlantic Puddle) to CSYNC as well to reduce the "jail bars" artifact, but the cable's connector is "cast" so I cannot disassemble it. I'll have to order a new connector, which costs as much as the entire cable. And then hope CSYNC solves the jail bars indeed.
    I'm impressed.

It's actually quite simple soldering. More importantly, it does not require desoldering, at which I'm terrible. I've never ruined a board by soldering, but by desoldering...

In case anyone was wondering, my garage project is ongoing, albeit slowed by my decision a week or so ago to paint the affected portion of the walls. Which I started today, using paint left over from the building of the house; about 70% of a five-gallon bucket. That having sat a while and being a large quantity, I bought a paint stirring thingummy to put in a drill. Yesterday, planning to paint today, I thought "Oh, I should charge the drill battery!" Because I seem to have lost the spare.
    Of course, I didn't actually do that and it died about halfway through stirring, but had done the hardest part. So I managed to get a significant portion of the affected area painted, and, importantly, didn't fall off the stepladder or step in the tray of paint. I count that as a win.
    Man, I'm tired now. It doesn't take me much to get tired these days. But it's the good sort of tired.