Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041
Results 1,201 to 1,217 of 1217

Thread: Adventures in DIY

And I finally got myself a cordless drill. That all used a wired one, but with it he was tied to an outlet. And now, in general, beauty. You can use it anywhere in the garage and in the yard and not be afraid that the wire will catch on.

^^^ Indeed cordless tools are Great!...but avoid my mistake of leaving the drill outside overnight on my workbench in the rain as I did one time. It killed the battery. I got too used to leaving manual screwdrivers all about :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    ^^^ Indeed cordless tools are Great!...but avoid my mistake of leaving the drill outside overnight on my workbench in the rain as I did one time. It killed the battery. I got too used to leaving manual screwdrivers all about :-(
    Well, leaving a cordless tool in a humid environment is about the same as leaving a cell phone. But when handled correctly, it's really cool and handy.

I have IKEA-hacked a Lego playtable and building desk, both stuffed with storage boxes full of bricks. So now my kids can stay upstairs for WEEKS. With the amount of Lego we have now (estimated 50-60kg) it is mandatory to sort it if you want a pleasant building experience. Daddy is showing them how to build a cool castle, and it's amazing how fast I can now find the bricks I want. Pick out the right box, start digging, done in seconds. Even when there's still a lot of colours and sizes in one box, it's so much easier than digging through a knee-deep pool of blocks.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I have IKEA-hacked a Lego playtable and building desk, both stuffed with storage boxes full of bricks. So now my kids can stay upstairs for WEEKS. With the amount of Lego we have now (estimated 50-60kg) it is mandatory to sort it if you want a pleasant building experience. Daddy is showing them how to build a cool castle, and it's amazing how fast I can now find the bricks I want. Pick out the right box, start digging, done in seconds. Even when there's still a lot of colours and sizes in one box, it's so much easier than digging through a knee-deep pool of blocks.
    Stuff that bugs me: I remember you as a young student. And now you're grown up and have kids! Dang, I'm getting so old!
    Oh, and 50kg of Lego? That's like 110 pounds. You rock!

Also: Kai Yeves was a high school student at most. Working on her PhD, I think!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I've been on these boards for half my life.

We joined about the same time, but it's substantially less than half of my life!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I'm sure relativity theory has the answers.

I bit the bullet and splurged on a router lift. So tired of going under the table to adjust router height. Now, to build a cabinet in the router table frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E5415.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	864.5 KB 
ID:	25744

You're one step ahead of me. I'm still trying to make/buy a router table for my handheld router.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    You're one step ahead of me. I'm still trying to make/buy a router table for my handheld router.
    Totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I bit the bullet and splurged on a router lift.
    Nice. I've heard good things about the Kreg lift. I posted about my own cabinet insert upthread (back in 2017) but the pictures are broken since I dumped my then-host. I loosely based mine on Kreg's project plans but it looks like they're removed them from their site. Still, reposting as food for thought:

Name:	IMG_1692.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	946.0 KB 
ID:	25750 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1699.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	25753

Name:	IMG_1698.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	25751 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1700.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	798.1 KB 
ID:	25754
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1699.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	25752  
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Totally worth it.
    I know, I know. Just a bit short on money and occasion to acquire one. But they are so useful for most routing jobs. I believe it's a bigger upgrade than when I added an XY table to my drill press.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Nice. I've heard good things about the Kreg lift. I posted about my own cabinet insert upthread (back in 2017) but the pictures are broken since I dumped my then-host. I loosely based mine on Kreg's project plans but it looks like they're removed them from their site. Still, reposting as food for thought:
    Thanks. Ive seen some good designs on Youtube as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Is the router cavity in your cabinet sealed against the table top or do you just allow air to leak past when running the dust collector?

Yes, I sealed the top of the router compartment with foam weather stripping and put a louvered vent in the door for cross flow.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Mostly finished with the router table cabinet. I still have to build in a peg board on the side opposite the power switch. And I think I'll paint the front dust collection vent in yellow & magenta (ala radiation trefoil).

Name:	JRLN4054.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	25829

That dust collection fitting is designed for router tables, which is great. What isn't great is that my 4 inch hose that easily slips onto the fitting on the table saw doesn't with this thing. The OD is a tad too large. I'll have to do something with it but I don't understand why dust collection fitting often don't fit.