Thread: Biggest and brightest full moon for 15 years(Friday 12th Dec)

Biggest and brightest full moon for 15 years(Friday 12th Dec)

Each month the Moon orbits the Earth in an oval-shaped path, and on December 12 it will move past it around 28,000km closer than average.
    The unusual feature is that this will coincide with a full moon, which will make it appear 14 per cent bigger and 30 per cent brighter than most full moons this year, on Friday night.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...night-sky.html

Oooh, I really wish they explained it a bit more. I can see lots of people getting misconceptions from that.

Nothing wrong, just a bit scant for the average Joe. In fact Kudos for bringing it up.
    It's also good that they didn't imply that the meteor shower would be good viewing. I'm sure many would infer that if they didn't catch the "look away from the moon".

Although; I'd like a little more on the wording here:
    To make the sight even more spectacular much of Britain should be treated to a phenomenon known as the Moon illusion.
    "Much" of Britain? I can understand Britain because that's the audience, and it's not necessarily mentioning "limited" to Britain. But; why "much". I can only assume weather related, but I would take that as a given. We all know what clouds look like.

well, I suppose if the moon rises from an sea horizon, then the moon illusion wouldn't really work.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    well, I suppose if the moon rises from an sea horizon, then the moon illusion wouldn't really work.
    I guess that would do it...
    I'll need to check that one out over lake Erie the next time the moon rises directly in the North.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    The moon illusion works regardless of what the horizon contains (whether it is a flat sea or a line of distant trees or buildings or hills).

see
    http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/moonbig.html

It will look as big a full moon!! No, wait...

Nick

Wink

I already created a thread with graphics on this subject in the forum for Astronomical Observing. It’s titled Big Bright Full Moon at Perigee on DEC 12. Here’s a quick link: http://www.bautforum.com/astronomica...-dec-12-a.html

As usual in popular science articles, the author of the article linked by the thread initiator attributes the effect to the oval-shaped (elliptical) path of the Moon’s orbit around the Earth. That is irrelevant and misleading. The Moon’s orbit would not appear to deviate from a perfect circle to the naked-eye, if drawn precisely in a diagram. The ellipticity is quite slight. The Moon at perigee (nearest to Earth) is actually at an end of the major (longer) axis of its slightly elliptical orbit, while apogee is at the opposite end. What would be noticeable in a diagram is the eccentricity (off-centeredness) of the orbit. It would be obvious that the Earth is not precisely in the center of the Moon’s orbit. That is the primary reason that the Moon’s distance from Earth varies over the course of a month. The same applies to planets around the Sun. In the 17th century Kepler realized that Mars’ orbit was quite eccentric before he began his famous analysis. Nevertheless, his initial assumption was that the orbit was circular. It was only after careful study of Tycho’s precise data that Kepler determined Mars’ orbit is slightly elliptical in addition to being significantly eccentric.
    For astronomical graphics and data visit
    https://www.CurtRenz.com/astronomy.html