Page 243 of 245 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245 LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,290 of 7337

Thread: Your current weather?

Overcast warm and muggy, we might get a few showers form the tropical storm.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We lost power for 7 hours thx to the TS swinging by here yesterday morning. Some downed tree/branches and almost 6 inches of rain. Thankfully we're on high ground but some of the neighbors yards are like little lakes. The garden seems ok though a few staked tomato plants are leaning over at 45 degrees and of course the corn was flattened.

As it's getting closer to autumn so now is the most hated weather to me. It's cold in the morning, hot during the day and EXTREMELY cold in the evening.

Glad you made it thru the storm spacedude.

Quote Originally Posted by HollyMiller View Post
    As it's getting closer to autumn so now is the most hated weather to me. It's cold in the morning, hot during the day and EXTREMELY cold in the evening.
    Hello Holly. If you don’t mind, where would this be, roughly speaking?

Here, near Sacramento, CA, it was windy from a strong Delta breeze and we had the lowest high since early June, about 82F dropping to mid 50s at night. It has been around a hundred most days recently.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Hello Holly. If you donít mind, where would this be, roughly speaking?

Here, near Sacramento, CA, it was windy from a strong Delta breeze and we had the lowest high since early June, about 82F dropping to mid 50s at night. It has been around a hundred most days recently.
    Hi! I'm from Denmark. Currently from Copenhagen. Our weather is somehow almost always like that. But wow such a fast decrease in temperature in Sacramento is really huge. We don't have such a large gap between temperatures. But the general condition of the weather feels really good. Like for example yesterday we had sunny warm weather and now it's raining again.

Today a high in the high twenties Celsius and really breezy nice for being outdoors most of the day.

Another hot and muggy day, the only rally to do stuff outdoors for me is about an hour before sundown, did some weeding and watering done.

It has been an absolutely miserable day here. Maximum temperature so far of around 16 C (61 F) with cloudy skies and persistent drizzle. My bicycle is ready to picked up after some repairs but it is so unpleasant outside that I am leaving it until tomorrow as I don't want to ride it home in this weather.

For the first time I’ve seen it, my weather app is saying 0% chance of rain. Usually the minimum is 10% even when there is no realistic chance. I checked because this is a rare summer day with significant clouds and it is humid. It is actually warm (75F) this early (no doubt due to clouds) and the weather app says it will get hot - 105-108F (42.2C). Ugh.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Finally!!! We're getting a week long stretch in the 80'sF here for a pleasant change of pace from the relentless 90's. Good temps to prep the fall garden for planting. Way ahead on rainfall but nearby localities got swamped recently, the soil is still workable but more rain is predicted over the next 2-3 days.

We need rain.

We got another 3 inches of rain yesterday, just a few miles away received 8 inches and a lot of flooding so we were lucky. Enough already!, just glad no more tropical systems are on the horizon.....yet.

Another hot day, probably continuing till Wednesday. On Friday, California had the first rolling blackouts since 2006, partly due to power plant problems, partly due to a shift to solar which naturally doesn’t work so well as the sun gets low in the evening. Luckily it didn’t hit me or my area. It got to 108F yesterday, only got down to about 78F last night, now is almost 90F and predicted to hit 106-107F. Surprisingly, overcast again, I’m not sure of the reason, burning off later, but it sure does seem more humid than usual outside, and it helps to keep it warmer than usual at night.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Oh, I just read there was another Stage 3 alert yesterday (which is when rolling blackouts start). Lasted only 20 minutes though. That wouldn’t be too bad, my main concern would be air conditioning and that would be short enough temperature would only go up maybe a couple of degrees. Turns out this time there was a problem with a 470 mw power plant and the loss of about 1000 mw of wind power as wind died down. As wind came back, they ended the alert.

Renewable power has its positive points, but this is where it can really be an issue. I’m thinking more and more about getting my own backup power since it looks like this may be becoming a growing problem.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2020-Aug-16 at 03:42 PM.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Late last night I heard odd sounds from outside, and at first thought it was an animal doing something or even a person. I went to my back door and looking out, it was very dark, but there was a flash of light. I wondered if someone had flashed a light at me. Then I heard distant thunder and realized it was lightning, but that is extremely rare here in the summer so I really hadnít expected it at all. It isnít all that common even in winter.

It turns out an unusual weather system has been coming in from the ocean a hundred or so miles away and the bay area had already been hit by a lot of lightning. Now it was our turn. Itís all dry lightning, too warm for any rain to make it to the ground.

Luckily last night, from the time the thunder took to reach me, it wasnít too close. But there may be more this morning. Wonderful. Of course everything not watered is quite dry.

Yesterday it got up to 109F, today predicted to reach 108. The highest ever here so far was 113F. Temperatures up to 110 arenít that unusual but usually after a few days the delta breeze kicks in and drops temperatures. Last night I sat under the porch for a bit and watched the lightning. With the heat and somewhat humid air it felt a bit like the midwest, but it didnít have that ďcut it with a knifeĒ heaviness.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We had dry lightning, aka "heat lightning" last night. Very unusual for our region! It was also the warmest day of the year.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Hot and humid, but it is Houston

Very pleasant here now with temps in the low 80's and a dry day or two in the forecast. Feeling sorry for southwest states with the ongoing heat wave and major fires. Also for the people in Iowa and other states which were totally clobbered by last week's Derecho.

It finally rained today, it really didn't started to come down until we got off the boat. When we got back the guy who comes and cuts the grass in the field came and did it. Some sun for the next couple of days with some cooler temps.

Sunny a few puffy clouds, a lot cooler than it has been down to the low 20's C time to got with a few books and do some outdoor stuff, looks pretty good thru the weekend but some of that will be unloading and loading furniture for the auction company.

We had a huge area hit by dry lightning in the last couple days, very unusual - I donít remember anything quite like this in the summer here. Anyway, I just heard one of those triple note emergency alerts on a radio station, followed by an evacuation order, luckily doesnít affect me, but it was very hard to tell. Turns out they used a text to speech generator rather than a human and as it stumbled over a variety of words, including the names of locations, it was very hard understanding where people were supposed to evacuate. Not an appropriate technology application, or at least they should get better software.

Anyway, the temperature is a bit lower today, about 102F instead of 108-109F, and should drop a few more degrees tomorrow. Also, the nights should cool down to something more typical, low 60s instead of upper 70s or lower 80s. Still warm but cooler and the nights really help.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

(sigh)

This time of year the phrase you do not want to hear in Houston is "Storm in the Gulf." Now we potentially have two on the way ... Laura and soon-to-become Marco.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...st-hurricanes/
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

RAIN glorious rain.

Rain? We might get some in a month or two, but most likely by sometime in November.

Anyway, I have to say Iím tired of the smoke, but it isnít as bad for me this year, so far at least. There was terrible smoke locally in 2018, but a lot of people had much worse problems. This year we had the weird dry lightning hitting a large chunk of Northern and Central California. At least it was a natural cause, not by humans. Bay area air quality is said to perhaps be the worst in the world right now. We have fire crews from Canada and Australia along with other states, but apparently our crews go there to help too, so itís a mutual aid thing. COVID-19 is having an effect too, since some prison inmates volunteer to help for time off their sentences, but many of the low risk inmates were let out so arenít available for that.

When I look outside, it has that typical smokey overcast look, and it is dropping the temperature a few degrees. On the positive side, now that Iím retired and staying home anyway Iím not breathing as much smoke as I did in 2018. Sadly, while it is finally getting nicely cool at night, there is too much smoke to open up, so Iím still running the air all night. It should clear out in a few days, though.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    (sigh)

This time of year the phrase you do not want to hear in Houston is "Storm in the Gulf." Now we potentially have two on the way ... Laura and soon-to-become Marco.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...st-hurricanes/
    Ouch. One thing at least we don’t need to realistically worry about here. We sometimes get the remains of tropical storms, but as I understand it, the water temperature is too cold off of California and the winds and water currents tend to move potential hurricanes out into the ocean.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

There was some overnight fog that came just after i went to look at the stars, now the fog has nearly lifted and the un has come out, now I have to get ready for the auction.

The 90's will return here next week with a dry stretch until what ever Marco and Laura leftovers might come this way. Good luck Jim, according to the weatherdudes this is a first for 2 storms in the gulf simultaneously, Jack Pot! My SIL lives in the Woodlands area just NW of Houston, she's not happy about it either. 2020 is just full of surprises.

Sunny with some clouds and a chance of rain, waiting for the hydraulic oil for the wood splitter but the brother in law is busy.

There was a Tornado Warning issued for a Pyrocumulonimbus generated vortex by the Reno NWS, footage by kcra.com
    An interesting paper is out called:
    Tornado Storm Avoidance Behavior in Breeding Songbirds

from stormtrack.org