Page 249 of 251 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251 LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,470 of 7510

Thread: Your current weather?

Today was a sunny day in Northeast Ohio. It was the first sunny or mostly sunny day we've had since November 10.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Most of the days here start off foggy and then go to partial to full sunlight in the afternoon. We have had rain, but much less than average. But do understand that it isn’t unusual here to have a period of dry years, then a year with really heavy rain that makes up for it. It has seemed to be trending to more common dry years here, and with changes in forest management some years ago, that has led to more forest fires.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yes, the standard joke when someone complains on a hot day is, ďBut at least itís dry heat.Ē And I am happy to leave the record hot weather day to you. If I really want to experience extreme heat, I can just head down to Death Valley in the summer. For some reason, I donít do that.
    Death Valley seems to be one of those places that lives up to its name! It must be an amazing place to visit - in the comfort of a reliable, air-conditioned vehicle. Personally would be quite happy for our 'record maximum' never to be exceeded and certainly don't wish any record breaking heat onto you. At least if it all becomes excessive here the ocean is only a 25 minute drive away for me and the river only a five minute bike ride away.

Clear skies and fairly warm for this time year just above and below the freezing point.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I guess weather patterns can change now it is sunny. cloud, sunny and then a storm over the weekend, we actually got flurries this morning.

Apparently we are seeing the effects of an "atmospheric river". It's bringing us high winds and heavy rains, with likely flooding.

I hadn't encountered the term before, although I was familiar with "Pineapple Express" which is an example of it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I saw some images of that. Some of it should be going over Northern California but it’s sunny here and fairly warm (65F) for this time of year. It may get up to 70 by Monday. The 10 day forecast suggests we may get rain in a week or so, but I would like to see us get some of the rain from that atmospheric river.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

You are more than welcome to ours!

Chicago area forecast has called for snow each evening for the past week and into next week. So I went out and bought some salt 4 days ago. I think I saw 8 or 9 flakes blow by my kitchen window the entire time.

We are going to get some really cold weather in the next few days and the wood pile in the house getting low, so I refilled it so I don't have to go out in the cold.

A nice dry spell continues, we need it as the ground is still saturated from recent rains. A breezy coolish day here with a high in the upper 40's......but for some reason today seems to be a lot more sunny than usual.

-15 C and clear skies, good morning for oatmeal and oranges, the power must of been out for a while, while I grabbed few hours sleep.

Well, Sacramento is getting serious weather now. There is one of those “atmospheric rivers” they talk about these days with plenty of rain, which is good, but a lot of heavy wind, not so good. My power went off for a bit earlier and the silence (not counting the wind sound) woke me up.

I get a little antsy with heavy wind. You have to go through a big permit process here to have work done on old but not obviously distressed oak trees. Non-emergency removal requires heavy justification. I had two in the front yard (which isn’t that deep or large relative the trees, most of my yard is in back) and about three years ago on a very windy night I woke up to a short, very loud cracking sound. I assumed something had broken, but didn’t expect to find one of my oak trees had come apart. Half of it was across the street so my residential road was impassable, which came as something of a shock. It just isn’t something you expect to see. I hadn’t even realized the tree was that large because so much of it had previously been vertical. Luckily it hadn’t hit any cars. The other half was precariously held so it wasn’t yet bashing in the front and front roof of the house, but it was just a question of time. Another good gust could do it. I called emergency services and they came and cut up the tree in the street and put it on my property. Naturally that woke up the neighbors. I had to deal with the rest of the tree that was on my property with a private service. They just recommended I stay to the back of the house. As it got late enough for businesses to open up, I started furiously calling for emergency tree service, which turns out to be hard to find on short notice after a windy night. I finally found someone to take a look, but they needed a picker truck rental which I paid for. Around 4pm a monster truck rolled down the street, almost as long as my house is wide, and planted itself with side stabilizers, and lifted a treeman into the air with a cable attached to a huge arm, and he attached the cable to the tree trunk to hold it up so he could work on it somewhat safely. Eventually a large chunk of tree was also swung out into the street high in the air. It was quite a sight. Naturally this also brought out neighbors to watch the process. Everything turned out fine, but the emergency tree service cost about $3,000. Not bad, really, considering what they did.

Anyway, now when it gets windy I get a bit nervous. I have had the other tree looked at, but still. So far so good this time.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Jan-27 at 03:09 PM.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It was just light enough to look around outside. I saw something, large but not huge in the road outside my house. It turned out to be a palm frond from a tree in front of a house well down my street. It is true those palms are impressively tall, so that helped it travel (most of the homes on the street were built in the late 50s to early 60s and a lot of the trees are at least that old).

My remaining oak seems to be undamaged, but I also have an olive tree (this area was an olive grove before homes were built) and olives were all over my driveway. That I could have removed without much hassle and probably will one of these days. I just sort of like the look of it but olive trees are incredibly messy. It is also too much hassle making use of the olives.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Stay safe, Van Rijn!

We are under some sort of winter storm warning. It may even snow. Of course, they said that last weekend as well and nothing happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Stay safe, Van Rijn!

We are under some sort of winter storm warning. It may even snow. Of course, they said that last weekend as well and nothing happened.
    Thanks, but Iím okay. That said, there are many news stories about it. A typical big storm: Lots of people without power, crews working as fast as they can, lots of trees down, a couple of storm related deaths. Some places gusts were reported up to 70mph. It was *loud* last night if you went outside. It mostly settled down today, but is expected to be breezy and with more rain tonight. Some flash flooding concerns for tomorrow. It doesnít sound like weíll get more of the heavy gusts though, for now. Itís the first serious storm of the season, and more serious than most.

Hope things go well there as well.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Just a light dusting of snow here this morning, a pretty scene outside but nothing to worry about. The major storm hitting the west coast now is expected to bring another shot of snow here in a few days. Definitely turning colder now with a dip into the teens over the next couple of nights.

-16 C and clear, the zodiac light just started to be seen at quarter to 7 am, had to go out get some kindling out of the woodshed to start the kitchen fire before someone comes from taking care of a relative.

The first tornado fatality of the year took place in my home state:
    https://www.weather.gov/bmx/event_01252021

"This event will be reviewed as the formation of this tornadic storm was particularly interesting given the overall environment. A few small-scale factors, perhaps not present elsewhere, appear to have come together to allow this storm to produce such a tornado."

900 yards wide--video here:
    https://stormtrack.org/community/thr...of-2021.31713/
    https://www.al.com/news/2021/01/nati...3-tornado.html
    https://www.al.com/topic/January%202021%20storms/

On a lighter note, nature can be lovely
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innov...kes-180976710/
    Last edited by publiusr; 2021-Jan-30 at 05:38 PM.

The past 2 nights lows were 18F, it never dipped below 20F all of last winter here. Snow is expected to start tonight with maybe 4" followed by some sleet and rain, with more snow showers on Monday.

We lost a bit of Highway 1 falling into the ocean with this last storm. Luckily, the problem was noticed early enough that police were stationed next to it until they got it fully blocked off:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/30/us/bi...rnd/index.html

This is a scenic coast highway. Iíve been in the passenger seat of an RV modified van on the oceanside lane and it can be a bit daunting, as in some areas it feels like youíre almost hanging in air and with a wrong turn you could be tumbling down a cliff into the ocean. I much prefer being the driver on that road, as I then feel in control. Beautiful scenery though.

Anyway, sunny here today. Aftermath of the storm: One section of my fence was blown down. Iíve made temporary repairs but itís about time to get the fence on that side replaced. We did get a decent amount of much needed rain.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It's pouring snow in Indiana.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

In a sure sign that the school year is re-starting tomorrow after the Summer Holidays, the temperatures have suddenly jumped from the very pleasant high 20 C - low 30 C weather we have had for a couple of weeks to 37/38 C for the next few days.

The weather for the next few days, today a high around -7 to -5 C sunny, the next day high 0, then snow, then rain then snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It's pouring snow in Indiana.
    Now turned to rain, soaking into the already deposited snow. High below freezing by Monday. So I sure hope it all melts by the end of Sunday!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Just 4" snow here as was predicted, looks like a real cold wave approaching for next week and possibly more snow.

...btw, this thread is getting slow to load, it may be time to start a new fresh weather thread? I doubt that these years of past local weather comments are of important record.

Another good rain last night going into today, but the sun just broke out, though they say more rain is possible today. No big windstorm like last time, this is more typical for this region. Finally, this is starting to look more like it should for this time of year in terms of rain. This is our rainy season.

BTW, I notice the weather people really have fallen in love with the term ďatmospheric river.Ē I didnít hear the term until the last few years, but they seem to use it constantly now.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

An article on atmospheric rivers here:

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Ca...spheric-Rivers

It seems like a new scale has been developed in recent years, and there is some use in classification - class 4 and 5 examples are much more likely to cause major flooding than 1,2 or 3. Also, the term is (as weíre starting to see) becoming more popular. Of course, it isnít like these are new phenomena.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Today it is going up to 2 C with a bit of rain that will soak into the snow melting some and turning to ice when it freezes.