Page 250 of 253 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252 ... LastLast
Results 7,471 to 7,500 of 7578

Thread: Your current weather?

Happily, we are just in the middle of a couple of days of light but persistent rain. This has ended any danger from the bushfires around Perth so it is very welcome. We have only received around 20 mm of rain in the last day or so but as we had only recorded 0.2 mm for the first 35 days of this year it seems like a flood. The temperature today is forecast to range from 15 C to 27 C so our jumpers are back out of the cupboard.

Heavy wet snow everywhere in upstate SC
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Outdoors today getting some kindling and bring in some wood because it is going to be cold for a few days.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Snow predicted the next couple of days. The previous two times nothing happened, maybe third time will be the charm.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It's been a mild winter until this week. The river was only frozen across for a day or two before Christmas, and then numerous channels opened and stayed open since then. Oldtimers say that hasn't happened in about 50 years. But I imagine the channels have frozen again. It's gone below -20C only about four times this winter, and with the Arctic air mass that's parked itself over us, it's now down to this:

Normally I'd stay in, but last evening I was reminded that my daughter needs a ride to an appointment later this morning. So I put a trickle charger to the pickup's old battery overnight, hoping that might warm it a bit, plugged in the block heater at 6:30 this morning, and put a 1500 W heater in the cab. The tires will be "lumpy" for a few km, if the engine starts.

ETA: When we get this kind of weather, I wait for Trebuchet to announce snow in his area. The associated wind at the coast does the same thing that happens around the great lakes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small IMG_6414 -40.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	25873  

Snow is predicted here starting tomorrow evening and may dump 4-6" on us, followed by more threats of snow/ice over the weekend. Looks like the 40'sF will be the highs for several days to come. They were predicting an ice storm but have since backed off of that and it's just mainly snow now. That was a relief, don't want to have power outages during this cold snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    It's been a mild winter until this week. The river was only frozen across for a day or two before Christmas, and then numerous channels opened and stayed open since then. Oldtimers say that hasn't happened in about 50 years. But I imagine the channels have frozen again. It's gone below -20C only about four times this winter, and with the Arctic air mass that's parked itself over us, it's now down to this:

Normally I'd stay in, but last evening I was reminded that my daughter needs a ride to an appointment later this morning. So I put a trickle charger to the pickup's old battery overnight, hoping that might warm it a bit, plugged in the block heater at 6:30 this morning, and put a 1500 W heater in the cab. The tires will be "lumpy" for a few km, if the engine starts.

ETA: When we get this kind of weather, I wait for Trebuchet to announce snow in his area. The associated wind at the coast does the same thing that happens around the great lakes.
    Ok - I guess that is 'officially' cold! Far too chilly for my liking I am afraid.

Below -20c “only” four times during the winter. Right. I have lived in Anchorage, Alaska and Nebraska, so I have a pretty good idea of what real cold is like (though my understanding is that Anchorage didn’t get *quite* as cold as the interior, being on the coast and wind often made Nebraska seem colder than it was) but it isn’t something I really want to experience again. Heck, I doubt the heater in my current house could keep up with that kind of cold.

Meanwhile, here it was sunny and got to 67F. It was a bit warmer on my porch with all the sun, so I had the sliding glass door open for awhile mainly to get some nice air in the house. Did a bit of mowing too (first time in a month or so - the grass grows slowly this time of year). Had rain a couple days ago and it was cloudy yesterday, supposed to cloud up again with a bit more rain in another day and a half.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It's predicted, but nothing yet tonight. The previous two predictions have come to nothing; I'm hoping for the same again.

The pickup started without any problems yesterday, but the tires required about 3 km before they flexed enough that I couldn't feel them thumping as I drove down the road. I feel like I'm abusing the vehicle operating it at that temperature.

It was -41C before dawn. It gets old fast, but later we love to talk about how we dealt with it. The furnace keeps up, but it's only minutes before the thermostat calls for heat again. Although the house is well sealed, I can feel the cold near the windows. We turn on additional electric heat in whatever rooms we're in. Yesterday's consumption was 29 kw-h, compared to about 15 kw-h/day when it was milder. About 8 kw-h of this was getting the vehicle, bristling with power cords, ready to drive. The electric utility tells me my neighbours are using almost twice as much.

Thirty years ago we experienced these condition for a few days most winters. Temperatures in the range of -20C to -30C would occur in several week-long periods over the course of a season. Otherwise, daytime highs in the mid negative teens were just normal. Very strong storm systems arriving at the coast, about 350 km away, often pushed into our area (and still do) bringing temperatures above freezing for a few days at a time. But winters have been consistently milder for a long time, so when we get these cold snaps it's especially noteworthy.

This new normal has the welcome benefit of allowing me to do my walks without having to bundle up. Most days this winter I've just pulled a sweater over whatever long sleeved shirt I'm wearing inside, put on the hikers and gloves, and headed out.

Still no more than a few flakes here, but my wife saw a prediction of a blizzard tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it. People here don't know the meaning of the word.

Ugh, predictions of a bad ice storm here tomorrow, 1/2" or more on trees which would surely cause loss of power for days. Will be spending today prepping the generator and portable propane heaters. Hope it doesn't materialize .....Ugh.

Still no snow here. It's hit to the south, however, in Gillian's neck of the woods.

We finally got some snow overnight, but not much. It's extremely cold, however. Below zero! Err, zero Celsius. And only by about two degrees C.

Ice is piling on heavy here now, looks like at least 1/4 inch on the trees. Power has blinked a few times but is holding on. Temp hovering around 32-33F so it's borderline. If only we can get thru a couple of more hours....., thankfully there are no windy conditions.

It snowed most of yesterday here, but not all that much. We have a drift on our deck, however!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It snowed most of yesterday here, but not all that much. We have a drift on our deck, however!
    It's still snowing pretty good this morning in the Puget Sound area. We have drifts of up to 14 inches in the yard.

I imagine the Little League season seems eons away this morning when it's really only just around the corner.

It's extremely cold, however. Below zero! Err, zero Celsius. And only by about two degrees C.
    We (Sioux Falls, SD) are also below zero. Fahrenheit. By 12 degrees.

Aren't expected to see 0 until Wednesday.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Lost power (ice storm) for about 48 hours here just a few minutes after my last post. Gas logs, a portable propane heater, and a generator kept some of the most important things going (well pump, fridges, freezers, tv). It's Soooo nice not to hear generators droning on and on throughout the neighborhood now. Another ice storm is on the way for Thursday but it may turn into rain just before reaching the critical 0.25" mark.....not putting away the generator just yet...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post

They've changed tomorrow's forecast to a high of 0°F. Supposed to get up to 32°F by Sunday, though.

We hit -26°F last night, a new record low for the date.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post

The absence of extreme temperatures is just one of the many reasons I like living here.

I woke up this morning to 19 degrees F and snow on the ground. Yeah, some of you are saying, "Big deal." But this is Houston. This is not usual here. It won't get above freezing until tomorrow afternoon.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I woke up this morning to 19 degrees F and snow on the ground. Yeah, some of you are saying, "Big deal." But this is Houston. This is not usual here. It won't get above freezing until tomorrow afternoon.
    I certainly wouldn't be saying "no big deal". If your population isn't used to it, or the infrastructure isn't prepared for it, these events are a really big deal. This morning I read about the rolling blackouts in Texas due to the inability of the electric utilities to meet demand.

I worry a bit when it snows where two of my children live (areas of the province that don't get much snow), because that's when so many traffic accidents happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My SIL lives in The Woodlands and she just got power back after 14 hours. They have gas logs to keep a bit warm but that's it.

The absence of extreme temperatures is just one of the many reasons I like living here.
    And the wind is one of the reasons I'm not as sure! The snow is all gone but it's blowing.

Ugh, Round-2 of Ice Storm Mania is coming up for Thursday. At least the trees have lost their weakest links in Round -1. ... .....I hope.

It's nasty in Texas, I hope Jim is ok!

And we're back! We lost power twice ... 20.5 hours the first time, back for 5, then out for 15.25, back since 9:15 last night. Not at all fun. But we seem to be through it now. Of course, we've been told to boil our water, but at least we can.

I did learn a new curse word/insult, depending on context. ERCOT. Noun, verb, adjective, adverb ... wonderfully versatile.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The state needs to revisit the use of the letter "R" in that acronym. As Inigo Montoya said many times, " I do not think that word means what you think it means."