Page 252 of 253 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253 LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,560 of 7577

Thread: Your current weather?

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Kind of the opposite here, suppose to cool down for a gay then warm up.
    Gay ó> day
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    We seem to have the habit of F for hot weather and C for cold. Oldies like me were raised in both because science was ergs, dynes, grams and centimeters, with C but engineers were still in pounds, slugs, and feet. And degrees F.
    I guess that when you say ďoldies like meĒ you mean people who were brought up in certain circumstances. I might be as old as you, but because I was brought up in continental Europe F didnít really exist. I think itís in certain places like the US, Canada, maybe the UK that the gap existed.
    As above, so below

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I guess that when you say “oldies like me” you mean people who were brought up in certain circumstances. I might be as old as you, but because I was brought up in continental Europe F didn’t really exist. I think it’s in certain places like the US, Canada, maybe the UK that the gap existed.
    Now I can say Oldies are anyone who enjoys the “Oldie” magazine, print or online, I read it online these days. Kind of like the old Punch or the New Yorker or even Esquire magazine. But emphasising the more mature writer and reader, I guess.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I guess that when you say “oldies like me” you mean people who were brought up in certain circumstances. I might be as old as you, but because I was brought up in continental Europe F didn’t really exist. I think it’s in certain places like the US, Canada, maybe the UK that the gap existed.
    And I forgot that it was Celsius from 1948, but centigrade hangs on. It does take a couple of generations for such changes to stick.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

As I've said before, I still prefer Fahrenheit simply because it's a finer scale and zero to 100 reasonably approximates the range of ambient temperatures in the temperate zones.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

And I forgot that it was Celsius from 1948, but centigrade hangs on. It does take a couple of generations for such changes to stick.
    I’m surprised it was that far back. Back when they briefly were pushing metric in schools back in the ‘70s here I remember it usually being called “centigrade” - it was only later I was hearing “celsius” mostly taking over.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Thanks for clarifying that. To be honest, Iíve never really been very clear about the difference between the two. I thought maybe it was a US/UK thing, but I see now itís an era thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Nice and sunny after the action at about 10 C, walked around town for a while looking for a magazine to read with a sub, got the magazine but ran into my ride before I got the chance to get to subway. What do with a week of sunny warming weather with paths and garden getting cleared from the snow.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I thought of posting this in the Amuses thread...

I checked the weather forecast. The accompanying report on current conditions is for the larger centre 100 km from my home. Usually it reports terms like sunny, cloudy, (light) rain, (light) snow, fog etc. But sometimes, especially at this time of year when the temperature is just above freezing, it is simply "Precipitation". So it's probably what we call sleet, partially frozen rain that is really still wet and distinct from ice pellets or freezing rain (rain that freezes on contact with surfaces). I don't know why they don't use this term, as it is in common use here, and include it in their glossary.

About Celsius vs centigrade. I recall both terms being used when I was a teenager in the 1970s, and eventually reading that centigrade was not the approved name. We had a year beginning 1 April 1974, IIRC, when all broadcast temperature reports were required to use both Fahrenheit and Celsius scales, and after that, it was Celsius only.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I thought of posting this in the Amuses thread...

I checked the weather forecast. The accompanying report on current conditions is for the larger centre 100 km from my home. Usually it reports terms like sunny, cloudy, (light) rain, (light) snow, fog etc. But sometimes, especially at this time of year when the temperature is just above freezing, it is simply "Precipitation". So it's probably what we call sleet, partially frozen rain that is really still wet and distinct from ice pellets or freezing rain (rain that freezes on contact with surfaces). I don't know why they don't use this term, as it is in common use here, and include it in their glossary.

About Celsius vs centigrade. I recall both terms being used when I was a teenager in the 1970s, and eventually reading that centigrade was not the approved name. We had a year beginning 1 April 1974, IIRC, when all broadcast temperature reports were required to use both Fahrenheit and Celsius scales, and after that, it was Celsius only.
    That is pretty much my experience as well. I used to hear Centigrade a lot in the early days of 'metrication' but then it slowly disappeared. I found a local TV news broadcast from the changeover year and it described Celsius as being the "modern name for degrees Centigrade". In Australia, we converted to Celsius in September 1972 and there was a one month use of both terms and then it became Celsius only.

Yesterday it was warm and sunny about 15 C so I ended up taking the short hike in the woods. Already tried to see I could get the lawn chairs out but there is stuff frozen to ground in front them. The same conditions today, probably go out in few minutes.
    https://twitter.com/DavidLPFairweat/status/1374028747968540676?s=20

Today was nice and sunny, high around 65F. I saw the first honeybees, a couple of bumblily type bees, and a Dragonfly. I've never seen a Dragonfly in March. The Honeybees were pollinating the plum tree and they seemed to like the Dandelions in my "lawn".

Rainy and foggy today.

About 3–4 inches of snow so far today.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Still snow? Sometimes I think of visiting Alaska, itís so long since Iíve been there and I was so young Iím sure my experience would be very different. Lots of attractive countryside for a visit. But I couldnít live there again, just too cold for me, and I remember the long winter nights and the low sun during the short day.

Cloudy here, in the mid 60s F. Expected to drop to 44F tonight. Itís supposed to get to the mid 70s this weekend. I really like days like that - still cool at night, so the heater will still run a bit, but itía warm enough to open the sliding glass doors in the afternoon. Also a great day to enjoy the yard.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

In the past 24 hours we have had fog, rain, thunder yesterday afternoon and now snow. Well time to get ready for the auction.

It hit 86F here yesterday, it will hit 75F today (a perfect day), but tomorrow brings the threat of more severe storms. Some of the SE states have been raked over by days of twisters, that system is heading in our direction tomorrow, hopefully much less violent.

We really love where we live. Except for the wind. We could do without that. Quite a nasty little storm last night.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

More Buffalo weirdness. A high of 40 today, with light snow early this morning. Tomorrow, a high of 70. I won't need the snow shovel today, but I may need the lawn mower tomorrow.
    Solfe

-6C. 2-3 cm of snow overnight. Sunshine beaming in through the windows, yet light snow still drifting down.

Bicycle ride is off the agenda.

About 10 C, windy if periods of rain, sun and overcast, doing some cleaning and probably bring in some wood in a bit.

After a couple of weeks of high 20C weather in the last two days the temperature suddenly jumped up and we reached 39 C yesterday. At that stage the humidity was only around 18%. Overnight there was a light shower and today the temperature is only going to be in the high 20's C but with cloud cover the humidity has soared to the mid 70's.

Today we have a little cloudy, but the weather is really spring, the wind is warm, not strong. Ideal time to practice in your garden.

Today will be a sunny 75F day, Weds & Thurs will be rainy/stormy, then temps will drop into the upper 20'sF on both Fri & Sat mornings. Several fruit trees are in full bloom now so hoping they can survive the upcoming freezing temps ok.

10 C today, sunny getting some small choirs done like getting out the lawn chairs.

It has been steadily warming up the last few days here. It went from about a 65F high moving up to 71F, yesterday a bit warmer to 75F, today low 80s, tomorrow is expected to be mid to high 80s. Iíve been opening up the house in the day, and thatís nice but I might need to close up later today and especially tomorrow to keep it from getting warmer than Iíd prefer in the house. It should drop back down to around 70 in a few days.

Itís still been getting down to chilly mid 40s at night so heat is still running then. Should be a low around 50 or so tonight.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Heavy rain, the garbage is out and the rain barrels are in place.

snowing right now, tomorrow rain with some clear from time to time and high of 10 C over the next couple of days.

Overcast and breezy so this afternoon went out a started some seeds and take a walk in the woods and the return walked by neighbors and checked if a sled I found was the sons and it was. The next few days more and more sunshine so tomorrow maybe a long walk around the property. Also today I thought I took a picture of some sunshine squash that I wanted caption some music and sunshine.

Nice and sunny out, nice day for the auction didn't have to put a coat on afterwards to pack the truck. Now time to go out do some reading and wait for supper.