Page 150 of 253 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160200250 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,500 of 7578

Thread: Your current weather?

About to leave work (Goddard is closing at noon today). Expecting at least 16 and possibly up to 30 inches of snow this weekend. Just hope we don't lose power.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

The snow has started, with temperature in upper 20s. The forecast has held steady, with 20 to 30 inches now predicted for the Washington area. The nearby Safeway grocery store is mobbed right now, and the shelves have been stripped of some items.

I wonder if they will have the presence of mind to shut down all the roads and highways until the storm is past and the plows can finish the job. Stalled cars and frozen people get ugly fast. Hmmm.....

Fairly heavily snowing; no wind to speak of.

Let's not panic folks, but let's not be stupid either. If you think you need 4WD to drive when there's a snowflake within a radius of 500 km, stay home.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

We're currently (9:12 a.m. CST) 33 F, calm and sunny, high expected to be 58 F. I'm soon to take a stroll through Farmer's Market. My best to those caught up in the snowstorm; "been there."
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

At 10:30 EST I measured about 15 to 16 inches, with some uncertainty because of drifting. Still snowing heavily with strong, gusty wind; near blizzard conditions at times.

Got about 8-9" here so far and it's still coming down like "Lard" as the local weatherman says. Luckily no freezing rain or many local power outages so far but the sleet overnite was like small ice cubes at times. Hunkered down for a while, a lot of shoveling ahead tomorrow.

I was going to complain about our rain but on second thought....
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

This storm got a second wind early in the afternoon, dumping another 5 or 6 inches of snow by suppertime. Now I am finding anywhere from 18 to 22 inches, depending on where I poke with a yardstick. The hilly, wooded terrain makes some interesting drifting patterns. No motor vehicles have been on my street since sometime last night, and their tracks have been obliterated.

Got 7" out of this one, they got more to the south. 75kts + wind gusts at Nantucket .More snow south of Providence.
    Cold here North RI. Powder. Easy push. Had some wind tho.... 20 to 30 kt gusts. Temp should go down to 17F . Be glad to see the wind die down so we can clean up without freezing to death. Even Ferocious turned around and came right back in.
    Cat's smarter than he lets on.... at times.
    Best thing is..we kept our power and ISP. We just dotes on indoor plumbing

Some morning-after pics:

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/...psld2gpr3q.jpg

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/...pseeazmgka.jpg

The closeup shows the monster icicles. The wide view shows the front walk which I excavated with some difficulty with a light duty snow thrower that was intended for 6 inches or so. It was still easier than shoveling.

Our 'weather' this morning at about 1:30 AM was shaky. Very shaky, thanks to a 6.79M earthquake southwest of us in Cook Inlet. My wife says I can sleep standing up and I've been know to sleep through ~4M quakes but this one had me awake and excited. It was a long boomer that ended pretty abruptly but we had no damage at the house...just a few toppled knick-knacks.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Glad all is well!

At 12:30 EST, partly sunny and mid 30s. Plows are just starting to get to residential streets now, 36 hours after the snow stopped. Still no motor vehicles on my street since late Friday night. I have cleared my driveway but cannot budge on the street. The snow is quite dense, with a 19-inch sample in my back yard melting down to 2.58 inches of water, and is wet and sticky where it meets the pavement. No wonder the plowing is so slow. The average depth in a 2-mile radius is about 24 inches, according to this map:
    http://www.weather.gov/lwx/pnsmap?type=snow
    Zoom in and look for Falls Church, about 7 or 8 miles west of the White House.

It mad 44F today, wind 5kts, clear skies , something we can be glad about

My street has been partially plowed, but it really needs a heavyweight rig. The guy doing the plowing was using a Ford F350 truck which would have been ample for an ordinary snowfall, but he was struggling. It appeared that he either did not have locking hubs in his 4x4 system or it was not working properly, as I would sometimes see one wheel spinning in a slick depression while the others were not turning at all. After he left I went out for a test drive but I needed about 50 pounds of sand to get back up the hill the last 100 feet to my driveway. Most of the residential streets around here amount to one lane, which is like running trains on a single-track railroad without signals or a timetable and train orders. I will not try to drive in this mess any more until some more plowing is done. I can walk to places I really need to go right now, after I get some rest. After digging out my place I am really feeling my nearly 68 years.

In order for locking hubs to work properly, you have to lock them. Which means you have to know HOW to lock them.

I know that these falls have caused lots of problems, but I have to say your stories of how you "survive" these events are fascinating. As I sit here, on actually the "Australia Day" national holiday, with the temperature a pleasant 30C it all seems so, well, exotic to me. I am sure the fascination would wear off soon enough if I experienced the problems first hand..

Hope you all remain well.

All is well. Got 50F today!!!! Overcast, wind 10kts, things are melting

Lightning, high wind, and hard rain for awhile. I shut off my computer and opened the power outage report page in the web browser on my phone, but nothing happened. I hear a light rain falling now and less wind.

It was 68F here yesterday with deepish snow still covering the ground from last weekend's storm, odd to be outside in those conflicting conditions.

Making 56F today ! WooHoo. A breeze kicking up. Light haze. Little piles of plowed snow melting
    Last edited by danscope; 2016-Feb-01 at 07:16 PM.

today mild and rain, tonight its going to a cool again and tomorrow while unloading a truck 10-15 cm of snow.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Cool, but not cold. Raindrops, but not significant rain. Clouds. In other words, February in the GNW. It's almost a relief that we're back to normal after being so abnormally NICE last year.

Then again, the wind and rain were downright AWFUL yesterday.

heavy wet snow blowing everywhere and of course I am driving the stuff.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Sunny with a forecast high of 68F.

Heavy overcast, heavy wet snow......8 inches, sticky stuff. Got 31F.Branches down, power out for many. Lucky the wind is down.
    A good day to not drive around. Even the cat has the wisdom to stay inside

Huh..... more like 10" + . Heavy, sticky stuff ......it builds character.

Today in Perth about 35C (95F), but the fun is that the next 4 days are all predicted to be 40 - 42C (104 - 108F). Cooling off on Thursday & Friday to 39 & 36C. Overnight minimums to be about 24-25C (75-77F). It is summer after all.