Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Yellowstone Caldera Activity

Are you visiting surrounding areas? My hometown is Cody.

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Are you visiting surrounding areas? My hometown is Cody.
    I like Cody.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Just tell Stanley Williams (of Galeras fame) to stay at home that same week--or else its a Syzygy
    That or I could come up there and yell "Vancouver Vancouver this is it" and jump up and down real hard.

But if anyone asks you if I was doing a cannonball with Orson Wells in Lituya Bay I'll deny it.
    Now, what difference would it make if you shouted it, unless you're David Johnston reincarnated?

It's the closest thing to abracadabra I could think of geology--related

A-breccia-dabra?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    The next major destructive geological event in the Yellowstone basin will probably be during the last week of May and the first week of June of this year.
    That's one of the worst times to visit
    On the other hand, it's in between the possible (although seems to be averted) government shutdown dates for 2014. (Jan or Oct)

Speaking of bad times to visit, we actually had reservations for the Old Faithful Inn on the night of September 7, 1988.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

There was a 4.8 earthquake yesterday. Not a big deal, but the biggest quake there in quite some time.

Reuters Article

From USGS on Sunday:
    Today's event is the largest earthquake at Yellowstone since February 22, 1980, and occurred near the center of a region of recent ground uplift described in a YVO Information Statement on February 18, 2014. The Yellowstone Volcano Observatory has been tracking this uplift episode for about 7 months.

As discussed in the March 3, 2014 YVO Monthly Update, seismicity in the general region of the uplift has been elevated for several months. A previous period of uplift in this area occurred between 1996 and 2003, and it was also accompanied by elevated seismicity.

A USGS field team is in Yellowstone and will visit the area near the earthquake's epicenter today. The team will look for any surface changes that the earthquake may have caused, and for possible effects to the hydrothermal system at Norris Geyser Basin.

There are many reports in news of Animals 'Fleeing' Yellowstone with a lot of Hype around that. And it does seem to be just hype. I did some digging and the only animals known (scientifically studied) to react before an earthquake hits; are birds, bats and frogs. The first two because they have senses that let them detect magnetic fields, and changes in them. In the case of frogs they can detect minor changes in the chemistry of water. What's going on at Yellowstone appears to be the normal migration of Bison, deer and elk.

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    What's going on at Yellowstone appears to be the normal migration of Bison, deer and elk.
    That would be my take. It is that time of year and they are moving from Winter grounds to Summer grounds. It is also coming up on birthing season.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

It would be difficult to visit Yellowstone for more than a day or two and not see buffalo walking down the highway.
    There being but two directions, into the park and out of the park, those buffalo will naturally spend half their time 'fleeing'.

Snopes on Animals Fleeing Yellowstone.
    And from Doubtful News. Note that commenters have been able to determine the actual location and the bison are actually headed INTO the park!

Note that commenters have been able to determine the actual location and the bison are actually headed INTO the park!
    So the volcano will erupt outside the park in populated areas?

I find it interesting that they are all on one side of the street. They must be acclimated with traffic coming and going and used to the fact that oncomming traffic is on their left side.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    I find it interesting that they are all on one side of the street. They must be acclimated with traffic coming and going and used to the fact that oncomming traffic is on their left side.
    When last I was in Yellowstone, I saw both. There were times I'd see the bison walking along in a line, either across a road or down a road (I don't recall which side of the road they walked on), there were other times they would travel in "non-linear" herds (just bunches moving together).

I never had any impression that they yielded the right-of-way to cars; I think they mostly looked at cars as obstacles to go around, though I saw one bull challenge a car that was trying to encourage him to move out of the way.

So the volcano will erupt outside the park in populated areas?
    Well, the hotspot is known to have gradually moved in a northeasterly direction. In a couple of billion years, it'll be under my original hometown of Billings, MT!

Good thing they aren't British bison, I guess.

Subsidence phase has ended, officially. USGS:
    Ground deformation
    The ground deformation occurring in north-central Yellowstone continues. Since August 1, 2013, the NRWY GPS station has moved about 1.5 cm east, 2 cm north, and 5.5 cm up.

Further south, the caldera subsidence, which began in 2010, has ceased. Since the beginning of 2014, the caldera has been slowly rising at a rate of about 2 cm/yr. All the deformation currently occurring in Yellowstone remains well within historical norms.

The Yellowstone GPS network recorded no deformation associated with the March 30, 2014 M4.8 earthquake. Earthquakes of this size and depth do not typically produce ground displacements large enough to detect with GPS.

I am happy to report that as of my visit two days ago, Yellowstone has not exploded.

I did feel this earthquake though.

I'm green with envy for your Yellowstone trip. We haven't been in far too long. I grew up not far away and we'd visit two or three times a summer.

Quite a few reports on news site about a Road being closed in Yellowstone because it was melting. USGS nor NPS have any statements confirming the stories however. weather.com's version of the story seems to be the best, in that they indicate it was a combination of natural hot water very near the surface and the summer sun. And that this is a common occurrence in the specific area it happened in.

Sounds like a hot item. Not a good place for a motorcycle kick stand.

I wonder if all those bison fleeing the park are getting their hooves stuck in the hot tar....

Yeah.... talk about a hot foot!!!!

I only just got around to looking up where the incident occurred. It's Firehole Lake Drive, a short (5km, 3 mi) one-way loop off the main road north of Old Faithful. It's quite a nice little side trip and includes the Great Fountain Geyser and the somewhat confusingly named (to me) White Dome and Pink Cone geysers. It's also the kind of drive they'd never do any more, with the road passing within mere yards of thermal features. You can watch Great Fountain without leaving your car. I'm almost surprised they haven't turned it into pedestrian-only, as has been done with much of the Old Faithful Geyser Basin.

The road is now reopened, with the help of some sand to absorb the bubbling tar. So, as usual for the media, much ado about very little. Either that, or it's a massive government cover-up and we're all going to die.

Geologists Unveil New Map Of Magma System Under Yellowstone Supervolcano

LINK

Geophysicists have discovered a second, even more massive magma reservoir feeding the Yellowstone supervolcano, providing researchers with the most comprehensive picture yet of the volcanic system beneath the park.

Their investigation—results of which appear in this week’s issue of Science—used seismic waves from nearly 5,000 earthquakes to image the subsurface at greater depth and resolution than ever before.

The newly detected reservoir is massive. Located between 19 and 45 kilometers below the earth’s surface, Huang and his colleagues estimate it accounts for somewhere between 30,000 km 3 and 116,000 km3 of basaltic magma. Compare that to the previously-mapped upper reservoir, which stretches between 4 and 14 kilometers below ground and accounts for just 10,000 km 3 of rhyolitic material.

OMG, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

Eventually, anyhow. Very cool. We were going to go to Yellowstone this summer but it was sold out in March!

I've been to Yellowstone twice, once with a Tour Group for a day and once with my Cousin and her husband for a week.
    I hope to go again with another cousin and his wife next year or 2017.

OMG, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

Eventually, anyhow. Very cool. We were going to go to Yellowstone this summer but it was sold out in March!
    Since the thread's been bumped, we actually DID go to Yellowstone, just had to stay outside the park. And we're already booked for five days inside the park next summer! Assuming it hasn't erupted, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    The videos on this link are very good.