Thread: lights in the sky...

lights in the sky...

ok so i have no idea if i'm even doing this right...if i'm not, sorry! I just need to put this somewhere and ask for opinions because it was really freakin wierd.

Soo i was driving home from work with my brother and i noticed two bright lights in the sky. A few seconds later another light appeared making a sort of triangle formation of bright lights in the sky. This was a massive formation by the way. Not some little thing that could have just been a plane. The light that just appeared then dimmed a bit though i could still see it. About a minute later another one the lights dimmed. As soon as that one dimmed the other dimmed one took off. At first it was just travelling in a straight line but started to do sort of zig zags. The whole travellling thing took about a minute then it just dissappeared. The other dim light continued to stay still not moving at all and the other light was still just as bright as the others had been.
    Unfortunately it left my sight because of a tree line. Like i said wieeerd lol
    So that's it...anyone heard of anything like this before?

Sabeth91,
    First welcome to BAUT.

Second, I've moved your thread to Q&A, I suspect you'll get more attention here.

Third, you might want to look over this thread, where a lot of people have described similar things and there is a lot of answers.

Lastly, if you still have other questions about what you saw, some more information might be useful, such as where you saw this (Gotham? ), what time of date, etc.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Sabeth91 View Post
    So that's it...anyone heard of anything like this before?
    Seen it many times. Airplanes on offset approach to land, or just transiting heavily used airspace.

Seriously - they do use their landing lights in and around various airspace to increase visibility, even when they're just transiting. Landing lights are more than bright enough to wash out anticollision beacons and position lights.

Perhaps if you provided more details... Exact Location? Angle? Time?

Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens View Post
    Seen it many times. Airplanes on offset approach to land, or just transiting heavily used airspace.
    Ditto;
    I live a considerable distance from the airport, but there are very rare weather circumstances that will bring thier approach in my direction and very low.
    Because I do so seldom see it, I usually spend a bit of time watching.
    3 planes will make a triangle. I know you might think straight line, but there's usually some offset, and maybe some adjustment due to thier flight plan or flight characteristic.

What I'm not sure of is the Zig-Zag. Can some of you more aviation minded be able to tell me if they use that maneuver on approach to fine tune approach times or distance?

Gotham = New York

FOX News reports lights in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    What I'm not sure of is the Zig-Zag. Can some of you more aviation minded be able to tell me if they use that maneuver on approach to fine tune approach times or distance?
    Yes, this is a very old maneuver. Zig zagging increases drag and can be used to bleed off airspeed, drop faster or just take a bit more time to get to the runway or let someone else get out of the way.

(Use it all the time with my R/C planes, too...)

I would suspect from the description what you are seeing are skylanterns. they are a cross between a Chinese lantern and a mini hot air balloon. the come in all shapes and colors and once aloft, are subject to upper level winds and can move in all sorts of strange ways before eventualy burning out and disapearing. These things are becomming quite popular world wide and are used at celebrations often. I saw the fox report on the ones over new jersey and knew instantly thats what those were, I suspect thee are the same.