Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Username changes discussion

I've been using "Delvo" for 14 years. The idea was to use it everywhere, and I did until recently, but recently I've run into several places where user IDs must be at least 6 characters. So I modified "Delvo" for those places by adding another letter. But then it happened several more times, so I got stuck with that derivative "not quite right" name more often, and now I've got a strange mix of two names for different places instead of one for everywhere like it was supposed to be. If I'd known ahead of time that the 6-character minimum would strike, I would have come up with a 6-letter name in the first place, and it wouldn't have been the same as "Delvo" with one more letter added; it would have been "Volder". So now I'd like to switch to just using that everywhere. The only problem with asking for that (which I've hesitated to do for months) is that excessive name changes at another forum have really annoyed me, and now it feels like I'd be contributing to the problem! (Hopefully I wouldn't be forced into changing it again in another 14 years; it wasn't supposed to ever need to change at all!)

My BAUT Name is a random choice I made when I joined the forum. Can't think of a nice UserName related to Astronomy and I Like Galaxies. Sometimes I wish I can change my name but that is not an option here , 'til now.

The only change I'd like to make is to drop the "_". It's just "Tog" but that 4 character minimum got me.

On the CoH boards, users can change names at will and it's actually led to sniping. If change from Tog to CuppaTog (as many did when a community rep left), someone else could sneak in and take "Tog" since it was no longer in use.

There is also a large problem there with people making a suggestion, then swapping naems a few weeks later and making the same uggestion again. It's impossible for normal members to spot the change without knowing the specific details like the join date. Many arguemtns have gone on for quite a while before someone says something like: "You do know you're really argueing with (other name) right?"

This is usually followed by. "Oh. I thought this waste of time felt familiar."

Granted since all changes here would need to be done by others, that coulnd't happen, but I think it illustrates some of the issues with name changes in general.

I'm assuming if I quote "Grand_Lunar" in a post from a week ago, and he becomes "Grand_Martian", the original name as quoted won't change. That could cause some confusion on long threads.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog_ View Post
    I'm assuming if I quote "Grand_Lunar" in a post from a week ago, and he becomes "Grand_Martian", the original name as quoted won't change. That could cause some confusion on long threads.
    This is true. (I just checked.) So that would be a reason to frown on name changes.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

I'd like a name change. Right now, it's not capitalized, so that's a start - Mugaliens. I thought about shortening Mugaliens to just Mugs, as that's what most people call me in posts and PMs. But Mugs sounds so much Jugs, that I thought I'd drop the s, so it would just be Mug. However, that negates my original reason for joining, which was to counter the woo-woo alien stuff, so it's got to be Aliens, instead, but since I'm one person, non-schizophrenic (no you're not!), it should just be Alien. But what to do with the Alien? Shake his hand? Pretend he doesn't exist? Thumb your nose at him? Hmmm... Let's mug the alien, which would require Mugalien. But why stop at just one alien? So, it's Mugaliens.

On second thought, capitalization is too pretentious for me, so I'm considering making a final change to "mugaliens" (but without it being bold, so it would just be mugaliens)

Wait a minute...

Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens View Post
    On second thought, capitalization is too pretentious for me, so I'm considering making a final change to "mugaliens" (but without it being bold, so it would just be mugaliens)

Wait a minute...
    Sorry, I jumped in there, and it's already done. Now, you have to wait for three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog_ View Post
    The only change I'd like to make is to drop the "_". It's just "Tog" but that 4 character minimum got me.
    Huh?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Huh?
    My user name was supposed be "Tog" three letters. The board would not allow less than four when I signed up. I'm assuming it changed at some point. Also, "Tog." with a period was not allowed.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    This is true. (I just checked.) So that would be a reason to frown on name changes.

well im glad i already changed my name.

thanks again!

I wished I could drop the "2" behind my user name.
    But there is some inactive member blocking the Name "Laguna"...

Looking closer at the posts of user "Laguna".
    This seems to be me. But I cannot remember ever registering an account without the 2 at the end. But the user is from Germany, and the wording and topics do fit.
    Could a Mod/Admin check into this, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    Looking closer at the posts of user "Laguna".
    This seems to be me. But I cannot remember ever registering an account without the 2 at the end. But the user is from Germany, and the wording and topics do fit.
    Could a Mod/Admin check into this, please?
    All the evidence seems to indicate that both accounts are you, so I've merged them under "Laguna." If you have any problems, let me know.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    All the evidence seems to indicate that both accounts are you, so I've merged them under "Laguna." If you have any problems, let me know.
    No Problems. Thank you!

first welcomed sock puppet ever!... maybe.

congrads.

The main characteristic of a sock puppet as we use it is that both accounts are used at the same time or that one of the is banned/suspended and the other is used to get around the ban/suspension.

If it's a matter of switching to a different account and never using the old one, then it is something that's discouraged, but is isn't considered sock-puppeteering.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Well, there were posts in the laguna account, so both were used, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Arneb View Post
    Well, there were posts in the laguna account, so both were used, so...
    Yeah, back in the old BABB days. I never used it here... I did not even remember I was the one to register it.

Well, then it's covered by the amnesty, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Arneb View Post
    Well, then it's covered by the amnesty, of course...
    And by amnesia!

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
    first welcomed sock puppet ever!... maybe.

congrads.
    So maybe now I can just start a new account named "Volder" ...

(I actually did think of doing that, but then figured that would count as a sock puppet, and full disclosure wouldn't make it not so.)

Why shorten it? Just keep all the letters: Voldemort

As it is, you're currently only missing the dead part (mort).

Voldemort?
    Hmm. I hope you don't mind if i simply call you Tom Riddle?!

What...HWSNBN suddenly isn't good enough?
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

That's HWMNBN to you!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

IHNIWYTA...

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    IHNIWYTA...
    Never fear, they're just a couple Potterheads discussing a Harry situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    That's HWMNBN to you!
    I stand corrected! Is the accent on the H or the first N?
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I put it on the "M," myself, but an argument could be made for the first "N."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens View Post
    I'd like a name change. Right now, it's not capitalized, so that's a start - Mugaliens. I thought about shortening Mugaliens to just Mugs, as that's what most people call me in posts and PMs. But Mugs sounds so much Jugs, that I thought I'd drop the s, so it would just be Mug. However, that negates my original reason for joining, which was to counter the woo-woo alien stuff, so it's got to be Aliens, instead, but since I'm one person, non-schizophrenic (no you're not!), it should just be Alien. But what to do with the Alien? Shake his hand? Pretend he doesn't exist? Thumb your nose at him? Hmmm... Let's mug the alien, which would require Mugalien. But why stop at just one alien? So, it's Mugaliens.

Wait a minute...
    Well, mugaliens sounds like an imperative. Maybe you should go for a more descriptive variant, mugsaliens (added an s). That would preserve the nickname "mugs" too.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    Well, mugaliens sounds like an imperative. Maybe you should go for a more descriptive variant, mugsaliens (added an s). That would preserve the nickname "mugs" too.
    Interesting...

HWMA - it fits.

However, I originally coined it in response to a question I asked of myself before I joined: "What's your purpose here on the board?" My answer was, "to mug aliens."

Mugaliens stuck, so I guess I'll keep it.