Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: british rocketplane by 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The laws of thermodynamics agree with you! It is more difficult to get rid of heat, than to generate it.
    Yes, and that reminds me of something interesting, but off-topic. I once asked a solid-state physicist at my institute if he could make an "anti-microwave oven" that would cool beer. And he said it would be impossible, and gave me an analogy that I think is really cool (or at least gave me the seeds of the analogy). If you blow a wind into a forest, you will easily make the trees sway, but to try to blow a wind into the forest to stop the trees from swaying is really tough, since they are all swaying in different directions and velocities. He kind of said, if it was a single type of molecule, it might be possible, but if you have a mixture of molecules, it's going to be basically impossible.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Yes, and that reminds me of something interesting, but off-topic. I once asked a solid-state physicist at my institute if he could make an "anti-microwave oven" that would cool beer. And he said it would be impossible, and gave me an analogy that I think is really cool (or at least gave me the seeds of the analogy). If you blow a wind into a forest, you will easily make the trees sway, but to try to blow a wind into the forest to stop the trees from swaying is really tough, since they are all swaying in different directions and velocities. He kind of said, if it was a single type of molecule, it might be possible, but if you have a mixture of molecules, it's going to be basically impossible.
    Nice analogy. And there is an example of cooling the single type of trees/molecules: laser cooling.

Laser cooling refers to a number of techniques in which atomic and molecular samples are cooled down to near absolute zero.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

"Air-breathing engine precooler achieves record-breaking Mach 5 performance"

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ai...mance_999.html

UK company Reaction Engines has tested its innovative precooler at airflow temperature conditions equivalent to Mach 5, or five times the speed of sound. This achievement marks a significant milestone in its ESA-supported development of the air-breathing SABRE engine, paving the way for a revolution in space access and hypersonic flight.

The precooler heat exchanger is an essential SABRE element that cools the hot airstream generated by air entering the engine intake at hypersonic speed.

"This is not only an excellent achievement in its own right but one important step closer to demonstrating the feasibility of the entire SABRE engine concept," said Mark Ford, heading ESA's Propulsion Engineering section.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)