Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we are sleeping less...

Why we are sleeping less...

Released this week, the National Sleep Foundation's annual poll estimated that Americans get an average of about 6.7 hours of sleep during a weekday. The annual Sleep in America poll estimated the hours of sleep have gradually decreased.
    source: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/0...ef=mpstoryview

How many hours sleep do you get? I am pretty close to the new average, i.e., about 6.5 hours of sleep. I fall asleep within minutes, and before I realize it, 6.5 hours are gone, and I am raring and ready to go...

Left alone, I can sleep nine or ten hours a night. I can function on seven if I have to. Less than six, I'll experience some immediate impairment.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

6˝ hours lately. It was around 9 hours about 30 years ago when I was jogging about ten miles per day. I don't exercise that much any more.

Oh! Oh! Mr. Kotter! I know why we're sleeping less!

Because last night was the switch to Daylight Savings Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post

Well... That depends...

Sleep is good...

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post

We don't set the alarm on Sundays, so we only woke up about an hour and a half ago. Most nights, we go to bed at around 1, and Graham wakes up at a little after 9. Usually, I'm awake before 10, but not always. Then again, my sleep patterns also change based on my medication!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I'm still asleep.

That I'm up and moving about doesn't matter.

My sleep varies widely, but I would say I average around 5-6 hours a night on a good week (with 10+ on weekends, unless I have to do something). Occasionally though, that drops down to 4 hours or so, and on a single bad night, it could be as low as 2 (or just no sleep at all). I do try for at least 7, I'm just rarely successful.

On the subject of a lack of sleep, tonight, I can get at most 5 hours if I go to bed right now, and that isn't happening. Looks like this will be one of my nights with <4hrs.

I sleep ~7 hours, anything above 7.5 hour I wake all tired and strained.

The longest I slept was 8 hrs . Normal sleep is at 5 hrs the most.

I like to get 8 hours, but most nights I get around 6.5 to 7

Pete

<venting> Well, I'm miserable. I hate daylight savings time. I couldn't fall asleep last night and then I had to get up while it was completely dark out. The alarm went off this morning and my mind could not comprehend it. I don't even recall hearing it, just something annoyed me awake, I was still deeply asleep. <end vent>

Anyway, on a good week night, I get about 7 hours. I long for eight. I get about 8-9 hours each weekend night.

I agree with Mugs; "Sleep is good..."

Oddly enough, I awoke, and got up, before the alarm went off this morning. Even so I'd say I haven't made the adjustment to DST (physiologically). In previous years of "springing forward" -- and jet lag -- I've sometimes found the second day to be harder than the first. I've also seemed to find it harder as I get older -- not that that's happening at all.

My weeknight sleep budget is 7 hours max, not counting fall-asleep and snooze-button time. I generally play catch-up on weekends. Recently I've found myself dropping off for quick cat naps (less than 15 minutes) in the evenings. Those are surprisingly refreshing.

I almost never get enough sleep. I probably average less than 6 hours a night. I have to be up at 6 a.m. for work normally, and sometime 5:30 or so, depending on what's happening. With my schedule, by the time I get home, particularly if I'm hitting the gym, eat dinner, clear the dishes and everything, it is probably 9:30 p.m. Then I try to start winding down, but it is rare that I'm in bed before 11:30 p.m. or so. I usually take a long time to fall asleep, though I sleep fine once there. I know that's bad for you, but I don't seem to have much choice. And no, I'm not looking for suggestions.

By the way, I love daylight savings time. I'm very much not a morning person, and would much rather have later sunsets than earlier sunrises.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I get between six and seven usually. My dogs have developed an annoying habbit of wanting to go out about two hours before we want to wake up; but fortunately for me I sleep more soundly than Tara, so usually she's the first to get annoyed to the point of getting up and letting them out.

I hadn't noticed the switch, all clocks I use make the switch by themselves

ETA Doh! That's because we haven't switched yet.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

What is DST?
    Lately i am getting 5 hours 30mins, i start work at 7am. I hate the dark mornings. I end up needing a power nap in the evening, it's a vicious circle. I also hate that my BF gets to stay in bed another 3 hours after i have gotten up.
    I love sleep! I would sleep 12 hours easily if left alone, i know it's not good for you but i still would.

DST = Daylight Savings Time.

It's something we use over here to confuse the heck out of ourselves and throw off our internal clocks.

Sounds bizarre Fazor.

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    I've heard morning coffee can cause seizures...

I know morning sunlight makes me sneeze! Afternoon sunlight, however, never does...

I know morning sunlight makes me sneeze! Afternoon sunlight, however, never does...
    I've always been curious about this phenomenon (regardless of time of day). I don't have that reaction; but I've been around people who do.

I always assumed it's not so much the sun, as the dust/pollen/etc in the air. On cloudy days, perhaps there's enough moisture to negate the effect. Dunno.

They say the problem is stress, but don't seem to mention any solutions to this problem. How might the average work-a-day American emulate the normal sleep patterns of the humans of "centuries ago" and still have enough time to get their work and play done? Any help or advice is welcome!

- Maha Vailo

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    I've always been curious about this phenomenon (regardless of time of day). I don't have that reaction; but I've been around people who do.
    From wikipedia
    Photic sneeze reflex is a genetic autosomal dominant trait, which causes sneezing when exposed suddenly to bright light, possibly many times consecutively. It is also referred to as photic sneeze response, sun sneezing, photogenic sneezing, the photosternutatory reflex, being photo sensitive, ACHOO syndrome, and "Achooism," with its related backronym Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome. The condition affects 18-35% of the human population.[1]

The first mention of the phenomenon is probably in the later work attributed to Aristotle (Problems, book XXXIII).[2]

The probable cause is a congenital malfunction in nerve signals in the trigeminal nerve nuclei. The fifth cranial nerve, called the trigeminal nerve, is apparently responsible for sneezes. Research suggests that some people have an association between this nerve and the nerve that transmits visual impulses to the brain. Overstimulation of the optic nerve triggers the trigeminal nerve, and this causes the photic sneeze reflex.

In addition this sneeze reflex can be brought on by a sudden inhaling of cold air or a strong flavor such as a strong mint gum. This implies an overstimulation of any nerve close to the trigeminal nerve can cause the sneeze reflex.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by steffanie View Post
    What is DST?
    Lately i am getting 5 hours 30mins, i start work at 7am. I hate the dark mornings. I end up needing a power nap in the evening, it's a vicious circle. I also hate that my BF gets to stay in bed another 3 hours after i have gotten up.
    I love sleep! I would sleep 12 hours easily if left alone, i know it's not good for you but i still would.
    DST - day light saving comes into play for us in the UK at the end of march, the clocks go forward a hour. Yippee!

I try to get around 7 hours.
    A guy who i work with has only 3hrs a night, goes to bed around 1am, up around 4am. He has done this all his life and seems never to suffer any ill effects. He says it stemmed from when he was a baby he slept very little to. Jammy sod!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    DST - day light saving comes into play for us in the UK at the end of march, the clocks go forward a hour. Yippee!
    Oooh then i love DST! I am so looking forward to the longer brighter evenings.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by steffanie View Post
    Oooh then i love DST! I am so looking forward to the longer brighter evenings.

exactly!!! it means i can do all the outdoor activities i love doing, after work instead of waiting for the wk end..

I sleep less because I have early-morning classes, requiring me to wake up at six. When I'm in my natural rhythm, I usually wake up at around seven-thirty or eight.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I'm wired weird - I sleep when I please and for as long as I please. I usually sleep around 5-6 hours a day with few ill effects. However, I can get away with less. Last year, I made top cut at the Florida Regional Pokemon TCG Championship with only 1.5 hours sleep. (It's a long story.)

I'd still like to know how the average American can reduce their stress and manage a full 8 hours while still maintaining a normal work/play schedule. Any ideas?

- Maha Vailo