Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World's largest laser now ready to destroy Earth

World's largest laser now ready to destroy Earth

No. Of course it isn't.

I just thought BAUT Forum shouldn't be left in the dust like we were for the CERN Large Hadron Collider (LHC) startup. This time, we should make up the potential hazards. Let's not leave it to the unimaginative amateurs. We can do better.

Tell me: how will hundreds, millions, all people, and/or Earth or the Solar System or the Universe be destroyed by the National Ignition Facility (NIF)?

AP: World's largest laser now ready for use

The [United States] Energy Department will announce Tuesday that it has officially certified the National Ignition Facility at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory [LLNL] in California.
    That clears the way for a series of experiments over the next year that eventually is hoped to mimic the heat and pressure found during a hydrogen explosion. The information will be used to better track the condition of nuclear weapons without actually exploding them.
    LLNL: National Ignition Facility

Creating a miniature star on Earth: that's the goal of the National Ignition Facility (NIF), the world's largest laser. When ignition experiments begin in 2010, NIF will focus the intense energy of 192 giant laser beams on a BB-sized target filled with hydrogen fuel -- fusing, or igniting, the hydrogen atoms' nuclei. This is the same fusion energy process that makes the stars shine and provides the life-giving energy of the sun.
    End the coverup. Give it to me straight. I can take it.

Or, just make it up, like the LHC fearmongers did. I love a good horror story.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Every day it is turned on over 100,000 people will die.

This is true as an average of around 160,000 people die every single day of the year anyway.

Not sure we should encourage this though, you just know some of it will stick with the CT guys, and they may reference this forum as proof!

This should probably be in fun-n-games.

If it's fun and games, then I say that every Planck unit of time it is on, one of the many branches of the whole general mish mash is destroyed. We will never know it since we can only observe from a branch that is not destroyed. But someone who could look at the WGMM from the outside would see the sausage that is the earth has gaps in it.

Wink

Some teenage girl will commit suicide over this and then you'll be sorry!

Creating a miniature star on Earth
    Oh no!!! Are they certain they can control this? What if the process runs out of control??!! It would result in runaway stellafication, igniting the Earth & turning it into a star!!!

&, with the LHC poised to suck us all into a black hole, what if they turn them both on at once??!!!
    The resultant combination would be.. a brown hole!!!

It will use up all the photons, leaving us in the dark.

There is a small possibility it will produce anti-photons. And we all know what happens when matter and anti-matter mix. Don't risk the end of the world for this ;-)

Actually, my flashlight produces antiphotons!

It's the unclephotons I worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by tdvance View Post
    Actually, my flashlight produces antiphotons!
    MY flash light produces anti-darkons.

Yeah, I can see it now on GLP:

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Foil Hat Wearer
    W3'R3 4|| D00M3D! 7H15 7H1N6 15 601N6 70 PR0DUC3 5C13N71F1C KN0W|3D63 0N H0W 70 M41N741N 4ND 1MPR0V3 0UR NUC|34R W34P0N5, P0551B|Y 3V3N7U4||Y C0N7R1BU71N6 70 0UR 0WN 53|F D357RUC710N!!!!!!!
    What an insane idea. Oh wait...

I foresee the scientists at LLNL and CERN duking it out with their devices, bouncing beams off of Hubble in an effort to prevent each other from publishing. Of course, the Pioneer anomaly will cause vague errors in targeting and destroy large portions of the Earth.

I think these guys are much safer than the others; they seem more coherent, for some reason.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by ravens_cry View Post
    MY flash light produces anti-darkons.
    You're so lucky! Mine merely scavenges the darkons.

as long as it leads to the invention of the light saber, that's all that matters; that is after all the whole point of science.

So if they know the possible outcome of igniting the earth like a star why go through with it?

The probable outcome is to produce non-neutron producing fusion. You know, to finally get that energy too cheap to meter without any attendant radioactive waste or greenhouse gasses. It will produce more energy than what went into it. Look up the "Z-machine" as well.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

One heck of a cool light show. Wish I could be there when they turn it on (with radiation suit and welder's goggles on).

What, no Austin Powers comments?

- Maha "one million dollars! (puts pinky to mouth)" Vailo

Quote Originally Posted by bmpbmp View Post
    So if they know the possible outcome of igniting the earth like a star [...]
    Your hypothetical fails.

That (LLNL: National Ignition Facility) was:

Creating a miniature star on Earth [...]
    Not: Creating a miniature star of Earth.

But, maybe you've heard more about the project than I give you credit for. Do you have a source for the fact that they are planning on igniting the Earth? I can't rule it out. I mean, that does sound like something a mad scientist would love to do for the value of the experimental results. Heck, I'm enough of a pyro that I might do it just to see the pretty flames, if someone let me at the big red button.

Provided no one got hurt, of course.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by bmpbmp View Post
    So if they know the possible outcome of igniting the earth like a star why go through with it?
    Because the people who actually know about it know that it igniting the Earth is similar to the odds of my typing slkgnslnixcuvsdefdeg accidentally summoning things from beyond space and time that consider human faces to be so tasty that they will do anything to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grashtel View Post
    Because the people who actually know about it know that it igniting the Earth is similar to the odds of my typing slkgnslnixcuvsdefdeg accidentally summoning things from beyond space and time that consider human faces to be so tasty that they will do anything to get them.
    So you've read The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross? (Lovecraft's genre taken to modern times.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    So you've read The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross? (Lovecraft's genre taken to modern times.)
    I'd describe them more as a hybrid of Lovercraft, Dilbert (how many other novels can you think of where the use of matrix management is a major plot point?), and James Bond, with the elements of James Bond being particularly apparent in the second novel.

Hello all,

The fact is that elements created from laboratory fusion will be unnatural and so of an inferior grade to those created properly within a star. Not only will polluting our environment with these mutant elements increasingly dilute the overall quality of elements, but the correct and natural ratio of elements in the universe will be out of whack.

Let's get a website going.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Grashtel View Post
    I'd describe them more as a hybrid of Lovercraft, Dilbert (how many other novels can you think of where the use of matrix management is a major plot point?), and James Bond, with the elements of James Bond being particularly apparent in the second novel.
    Oh excellent! You have read them! I caught the Dilbert connection as well. I live with my younger brother who clusters servers and maintains VM enviroments. A "subject matter expert" according to NASA. So I was familiar with the jargon and complaints of the protagonist.

Welcome aboard Chelsea. April Fool's Day was a week ago BTW.

Sources tell me it will become a nexus of autism, decreasing with the square of the distance from LLNL, yet entirely devoid of bird flu, typhus, measles and the pox.

Quote Originally Posted by pg_chelsea View Post
    Hello all,

The fact is that elements created from laboratory fusion will be unnatural and so of an inferior grade to those created properly within a star. Not only will polluting our environment with these mutant elements increasingly dilute the overall quality of elements, but the correct and natural ratio of elements in the universe will be out of whack.

Let's get a website going.

Cheers
    NOW we're getting somewhere.

I obtain all my elements from local suppliers. Not only are they organic, free-range elements, but locals also maintain the proper ratios of isotopes.

Just last week one of the mega-element places was hawking carbon with 1.43% 13C. I mean, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    as long as it leads to the invention of the light saber, that's all that matters; that is after all the whole point of science.
    If that's the case, then the whole point of engineering is to use one to cut through a blast shield!

zzzZRrrzzzzzRzzrrrrRRzzzz...

Quote Originally Posted by pg_chelsea View Post
    Mutant elements! The possible consequences are mind boggling. What of the periodic table? The water we drink? The pets we keep?

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
    Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
    Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
    Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
    Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
    Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Mutant elements! The possible consequences are mind boggling. What of the periodic table? The water we drink? The pets we keep?

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
    Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
    Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
    Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
    Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
    Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
    OMG they're going to cross the beams!!!