Thread: Facebook land grab

Facebook land grab

Just saw this on Bloomberg.

Facebook users staying in Friday night to grab names
    Tomorrow night may be a late one for some Facebook users.

Facebook is allowing users to select one name per person, letting them create a Web address for their Facebook profile, such as Facebook.com/david. At the moment, addresses typically contain a sequence of numbers. The aim, Facebook says, is to make it easier to find profiles using search engines such as Google.

If someone else has already snagged your name, youíre out of luck. And once users confirm the name they want, it canít be changed. Some user names have already been taken, and Facebook reserved personalized Web addresses for some journalists.
    So who's going to be part of the land rush?

If you go with your BAUT username, I predict 01101001 will have it easy, while George may be out of luck.

why would i want to make it easy for people to find me on facebook? so i can accept more "gifts" and take more pointless quizzes?

PraedSt has thrown a sheep at novaderrik.

Quote Originally Posted by PraedSt View Post
    PraedSt has thrown a sheep at novaderrik.
    i just hit the "ignore" button..

Quote Originally Posted by PraedSt
    ... So who's going to be part of the land rush? ...
    Now let me see ...

Do I have a life or do I need a personalized web address on Facebook?

I have a life, so I guess I won't be part of the rush.

Yeah. I have a Facebook page; but I don't particularly want people to find me on it. I have a handfull of friend requests sitting in que that I've been ignoring because I know who they are, but they're not friends or friends of friends.

Although grabbing the name "facebook.com/leavemealone" or "facebook.com/stayoffmylawn" might work.

And I thought Facebook was popular. Heathens the lot of you!

Another angle: Companies have Facebook pages- they need to grab their name. And marketing companies have clients who have Facebook pages, and they really need to grab names.

For these folks: How to protect your trademark on Facebook's land rush.

I don't understand. If Facebook user Joe Blow grabs 'geonuc', how does that help people find Joe Blow? Does Joe assume the Facebook profile name of geonuc?

It's pointless throwing the book in my face.
    I'm immune to your shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by mahesh View Post
    It's pointless throwing the book in my face.
    I'm immune to your shenanigans
    Yay for mahesh's use of one of the World's Greatest Words! (tm) "shenanigans" (though I never know how to properly spell it).

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    why would i want to make it easy for people to find me on facebook? so i can accept more "gifts" and take more pointless quizzes?
    The same people that years ago made fun of me for spending hours in IRC chat talking about day's events, comparing websites we found, and just doing nothing constructive are the same ones that try to get me to participate in Facebook stuff like that now.

Only the Facebook stuff is an even more waste of time, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I don't understand. If Facebook user Joe Blow grabs 'geonuc', how does that help people find Joe Blow? Does Joe assume the Facebook profile name of geonuc?
    Hello Joe Blow.

As I understand it, only the url will change. Right now it ends with a string of random numbers, e.g www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=12345678

After grabbing 'geonuc', Joe Blow will have www.facebook.com/geonuc as the url. His profile name won't change, it'll still be Joe Blow.

It helps companies: www.facebook.com/baut

and other people with the same name, so you could have another Joe Blow with: www.facebook.com/fazor, for example.

At least that's what I've understood.

EDIT: Sorry, I can't get rid of the automatic urls!

OK, so as my incredibly popular facebook profile is under my real name, I have no interest in grabbing geonuc, right?

Unless I wanted my fellow BAUTites, who don't know my real name, to find my FB page. Then if they searched on geonuc, they'd find me. But if someone searched on my real name, they'd also find me. Is that right?

and other people with the same name, so you could have another Joe Blow with: www.facebook.com/fazor, for example.
    I'm sure that'll get taken; though maybe I'll finally be able to find out who's been stealing my handle in all the online games for the last few years.

The part that makes me cry is I'm half-sure it's always some kid that doesn't know how to spell "phaser".

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    OK, so as my incredibly popular facebook profile is under my real name, I have no interest in grabbing geonuc, right?

Unless I wanted my fellow BAUTites, who don't know my real name, to find my FB page. Then if they searched on geonuc, they'd find me. But if someone searched on my real name, they'd also find me. Is that right?
    Yes that's right. Except the last. There might be a few people named Joe Blow. So it'll be annoying, but not impossible.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Yes that's right. Except the last. There might be a few people named Joe Blow. So it'll be annoying, but not impossible.
    And how, exactly, is that any different than it is now? It's still annoying to find people, to use your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Dax View Post
    And how, exactly, is that any different than it is now? It's still annoying to find people, to use your word.
    I think it's more for people like me. There's 6 of "me" in my city alone. So if someone wants to find me on Facebook, they might have to scour through hundreds of named-dopplegangers to find me. And if I don't make a picture of myself public, it can be impossible to find.

So if I know my friend is looking for me, instead of having them search my name, or making me send an address in the facebook.com/profile?=3847210 format, I can just say "type in facebook.com/coolestguyever" and they'll get right to my page.

A slight conveniance in limited situations? Yes. Worth all the news and publicity it's getting? No.