Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Could someone recomend me a good telescope ?

Quote Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
    Hey guys, i was wondering. I was trying to find the WhirlePool galaxy last night under the Handle of the big dipper to the north. I found the stars next to the galaxy it was spot on, and right next to the stars should have been the Galaxy but all i saw was Dark. Nothing at all.

This picture with the circled stars is what i was see'ing in my scope but the galaxy next too and under wasnt there it wasj ust blank. Stellarium says its a Magnitude 8.4 so i should have been able to see it shouldnt I? I mean iv found other stuff up to Magnitude 9. The bright star next to the whirlpool says its a magnitude 6.0 and i didnt see that either. So i dunno maybe a ****ty night you guys think ?
    Was the moon out? Do you have a lot of light pollution? The Whirlpool is hard to see; it might have been washed out in the light. Keep in mind it will look nothing like the picture in your post. It may be mag 8.4, but that is spread out over the whole area so you can't compare that to a point source like a star.

Nick
    Last edited by Nick Theodorakis; 2009-Jul-10 at 09:06 PM. Reason: deleted pic from reply

M51 more often than not is a faint smudge for my 10 inch, even from a reasonably dark sky. Dark skies, good seeing, and decent aperature are a must to see much more than that. I've seen spiral arms in M51 on perhaps 4 occasions when the seeing was very good. In the Pac NW, that's usually in late July-mid August.

Generally, with a 10 inch, I can only see the galactic cores of the two galaxies.

Hi Im new to astronomy. I have a Traveler 700mm x 70mm telescope including a 1.5x erecting eyepiece, 3x barlow lens and also 9x, 12x and 20x pieces. Is this an ok telescope?

I may upgrade in a while. Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Hi Im new to astronomy. I have a Traveler 700mm x 70mm telescope including a 1.5x erecting eyepiece, 3x barlow lens and also 9x, 12x and 20x pieces. Is this an ok telescope?

It depends on what you want to observe with it.

Yeah, what are you interested in? Galaxies and globulars? Features on planets? Are you going to take photos? Perhaps you have your dream 'scope right there. I am interested in these type of threads as I reckon I've got as far as my binocs will take me.

Im interested mainly in planets and galaxies so far. The only thing I have been able to see with any detail so far is jupiter and its moons (which I really liked)

Im interested mainly in planets and galaxies so far. The only thing I have been able to see with any detail so far is jupiter and its moons (which I really liked)
    With a 70mm scope, your ability to see galaxies is going to be limited. If you can get to a very dark site that will help some and you may be able to find a few of the brightest galaxies.

Quote Originally Posted by aurora View Post
    you may be able to find a few of the brightest galaxies.
    specifically M31 and M81, you should be able to see the shape of those even with suburban light pollution. All the other galaxies that the books suggest - M51, M33, M101 - you need dark skies if you see anything at all.

The eyepieces probably aren't 9x, 12x, and 20x, they're probably 9mm, 12mm, and 20mm, which should give magnifications of 78x, 58x, and 35x respectively.

Sorry its a 76mm, and here is a picture of the eyepieces.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2009-Aug-08 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Converted extremely large image to a link.

The K probably stands for Kelnar. Those are usable eyepieces, not as good as the most common plossl, but OK and much better than the cheap Huygens that come with some department store scopes.

As Siguy said, the numbers are the focal length of the eyepieces, not the magnification. The magnification you get with any given eyepiece depends on the focal length of the telescope, which is how he was able to calculate the magnification for you.

Quote Originally Posted by aurora View Post
    The K probably stands for Kelnar. Those are usable eyepieces, not as good as the most common plossl, but OK and much better than the cheap Huygens that come with some department store scopes.

As Siguy said, the numbers are the focal length of the eyepieces, not the magnification. The magnification you get with any given eyepiece depends on the focal length of the telescope, which is how he was able to calculate the magnification for you.
    Cheers for the replies!

Oh I see, do you think the telescope (76mmX700mm) will be ok for viewing all of the planets with these eyepieces along with a 1.5X eyepiece erector and 3X barlow lense, and also would the following kit be worth investing in http://astronomy.ie/eyepiecekit.html

Sorry for all the questions, but if you dont ask you dont find out

3x barlow on anything other than the 20mm probably won't get you anything out of it. There are many general rules of thumb but for something of that aperture, I don't recommend going over about 120x or 130x.

That Celestron eyepiece kit is decent, but is more focused on quantity than quality. It's probably better to pick out eyepieces individually when you buy them. The filters aren't really needed and the 4mm would b useless with your scope.

You appear to have decent eyepieces, but the 3x Barlow and 1.5x erector are probably junk, based on my experience. Get yourself a good 2x Barlow and you should be set.

Quote Originally Posted by Siguy View Post
    That Celestron eyepiece kit is decent, but is more focused on quantity than quality. It's probably better to pick out eyepieces individually when you buy them. The filters aren't really needed and the 4mm would b useless with your scope.

You appear to have decent eyepieces, but the 3x Barlow and 1.5x erector are probably junk, based on my experience. Get yourself a good 2x Barlow and you should be set.
    You could be right about the 3x Barlow and 1.5x erector, they seem cheapish, I may have a look around for a new barlow. Hopefully the scope will provide me with some good views for a while and I might upgrade to somthing like this in the future http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=427

As to the question of whether the telescope will be OK for viewing planets, try it and see. You already have it, so it will cost nothing to try.

If you can go to a star party put on by an astronomy club, perhaps you can set up to some member who has a similar scope and look at the same object, going back and forth between the two scopes to compare.

I have Skywatcher Explorer 130PM, it was a very reasonable price and had some quite good reviews. It is relatively cheap and is my first telescope.

Anybody got any opinions on it? So far I have successfully viewed the objects like Saturn, Jupiter and Venus. I have used it for some nebulae but have not had huge amounts of time to spend learning how to really use it.

Anyway for a beginner this has been great, it cost me 150 which is about $250 I think.

<quote>I have Skywatcher Explorer 130PM, it was a very reasonable price and had some quite good reviews. It is relatively cheap and is my first telescope. Anybody got any opinions on it?
    I was looking at a skywatcher telescope on ebay, Patrick Moore endorses the brand so it must be a decent quality brand. They seem to be reasonably priced and I might consider getting one in a while.

Tuesday, August 25th, 2,009.

Hullo Candycanman, and all you other guys,

I know a good telescope, but you might think I am joking, when I am not.

Using ANY telescope(the other guys may guide you), go outside, point at centre of Milky Way.(I AM NOT JOKING!!) Focus infinity. (Also try opposite to that.) WITH dust cover ON(Sic!) view the big stars at centre(Of Milky Way) as big (and bigger) than our sun!!

You TRY it before you laugh!

And you should see them.

Vic.(vicon@halenet.com.au)(If you lose me.)