Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mt. Cleveland (Alaska) Activity

Mt. Cleveland (Alaska) Activity

Mt. Cleveland has had sort of a spontaneous steam eruption and AVO/USGS has upgraded the mountain from condition green to orange.

AVO Full Report

There are no Webicorder accessible siemographs at this mountain, the closest is Okmok's siesmographs. I've been unable to distinguish Okmok's normal backgroud activity from Cleveland's on those webicorders.

From what I can see though, it looks like there was no (or very limited)seismic precursors to this steam vent episode.

For some reason, the page linked is a little messed up. Here's a general link to the AVO Mt. Cleveland activity page. There's also a Mt. Cleveland webcam but as the page states, typical weather there makes viewing iffy.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Hi, Hang in there,Brett. And protect that cigar case.
    Dan

I think I'll be okay. After all, Mt. Cleveland is 960 miles from my house...as the crow flies.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Hi Brett,Yes, that will be a good cushion. Comfortable,I should say.
    Say...High summer should be in full swing for you now.
    Best regards,Sir.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I think I'll be okay. After all, Mt. Cleveland is 960 miles from my house...as the crow flies.
    Did Redoubt bother you at all?

I notice it's still sputtering.

We had very light ashfall at my house on one day. The preparation was almost more bother than the fall itself.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    We had very light ashfall at my house on one day. The preparation was almost more bother than the fall itself.
    It's easy to forget that these things sometimes happen to people you know. Or sort of know. Hope you stay safe.

Mt. Clevland Downgraded to condition Yellow a few days ago.

The AVO statement mentioned that these sort of small eruptions are normal for the mountain. It's hard to say what sort of siesmic events happened around that time without a dataset or a webicorder to look at.

Perhaps it reflects the degraded strength of the rock there. If it continues to build, it lets go with a lot more power. Little erruptions are better,I think.
    Dan

Mt Cleveland was upgraded to Condition Yellow again last week, following an Ash emission reaching 20,000 foot heights.

Seems to have been sputtering on and off with minor ash releases, but again this is an unmonitored volcano, so there is not much information to go on with it.

Downgraded already to Condition White/Unassigned. This is a rarely used condition for when the only monitoring is via Satalite, fly-by's or remote imaging.

Mt. Cleveland was upgraded to status Yellow last night, after satelites indicated thermal variations on the summit. No other inforamtoin available on this volcano, as it is only Sat. monitored.

Mt. Cleveland moved back down to condition green last week.

Mt. Cleveland upgraded to condition Yellow yesterday after thermal signatures were detected on IR satelites. No further information available yet.

Thermal signature was verified visuallly, but no other signs of any activity. Remains at condition yellow.

Mt. Cleveland upgraded to condition Orange on Aug 2nd, as fly-by's have shown it is building a new lava dome.

Observations of Cleveland Volcano from Friday July 29, 2011 show a small lava dome about 40 meters (131 feet) in diameter in the summit crater. In response, AVO is raising the Aviation Color Code to Orange and the Alert Level to Watch.

The lava dome was extruded sometime after July 7 when the last clear view of the summit area was acquired. The formation of a lava dome is consistent with observed thermal anomalies seen since July 19, 2011 suggesting that the dome extruded since that time.

Mt. Cleveland still at condition Orange

According to satellite and aerial views, the eruption of a slowly growing lava dome at Cleveland volcano continues. Observers on a August 8 NOAA flight photographed a small, dark-colored dome centered at the bottom of the summit crater. In the last clear satellite view of the summit on August 9 the lava dome was about 60 meters (197 feet) in diameter.

Image form Sat/AVO http://www.avo.alaska.edu/image.php?id=36542

Mt. Cleveland downgraded to condition yellow. The Dome groth it was undergoing seemes to have paused or stopped.

Mt. Cleveland upgraded back to condition orange as of yesterday. Observations showed that the dome growth has restarted and at an accelerated rate. Dome now 120m in diameter and fills the floor of the small crater on the mountain.

Uh-oh......stand by for news .

The accelerated growth of the lava dome continues, and now is higher then the top of the crater rim. It's expected within weeks maybe, that the lava dome will begine to spill over the crater rim, and start small flows down the side of the mountain. Some of these may even be tiny pyroclastic flows.

The webcam shows nothing currently but on AVO website (under images) I found this satellite radar image from Sept 20 that shows the dome pretty well.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Partly cloudy satellite views detected elevated surface temperatures at the summit of Cleveland volcano night of Oct 3rd. AVO has received no other reports of activity at this volcano.

The dome growth has slowed, but it's now reached the crater wall in the NE and N directions, so lava dome material may soon begin spilling down the mountain.

Lava dome still growing slowly, so not much change, although USGS/AVO is indicating a possibility of an increse in activity.

Recent satelite images (from oct 23rd) shows that the new lava dome has undergone some deflation/subsidence, indicating a possible period of inactivity. This could change again without much notice.

With the subsidence of the lava dome Mt. Cleveland was downgraded to Condition Yellow

There are probably not going to be any more updates after this one, unless the mountain becomes more active again.

USGS is leaving it at Condition yellow for the foreseable future. After subsidence the lava dome reached a height just just short 10 feet from the crater rim.

Heheheheh, a rare step ahead of dgavin here. Mt Cleveland aviation code changed to Condition Orange (from yellow) and the alert status was changed to watch (from advisory) . The change of code and alert status was due to a detached ash cloud detected near Mt Clevland at up to 15,000 ft and was issued at 1655 UTC on 29 Dec. .