Thread: Questions Show: Black black holes, Unbalancing the Earth, and Space Pollution

Questions Show: Black black holes, Unbalancing the Earth, and Space Pollution

Why are black holes black? Can a huge mass of humanity make the Earth wobble? And what's so bad about space pollution anyway? If you've got a question for the Astronomy Cast team, please email it in to info@astronomycast.com and we'll try to tackle it for a future show. Please include your location and a way to pronounce your name.

More...

you forgot time

I just heard Dr. Pamela Gay say she once did a calculation and determined that New York City could be powered by "one potato" turned into energy (according to E=mc2). But wait, Dr. Pamela Gay is a scientist and scientists know that units matter. New York City is continually drawing power, and could theoretically use two potatoes or a whole bag of potatoes worth of energy if it needed to run for a long enough time. What I'm saying is she left out an important parameter: time. For how much time would a potato, converted to energy, power New York City? Pamela baby you left that out and I want to know! Great show!

Errors

I keep getting error 500 and error 3259 on iTunes and when i try to listen directly on Astronomycast.com i get internal server error 500. Please help... three brand new episodes I haven't heard yet and I'm Jones'in for my Pamela and Fraser!!!

I'm having the same trouble, but I expect it'll be back up and running soon.

Erik.

Same here with the errors on the lastest 2 pod casts.

Anyone know what JudasGutenberg problem is? What episode did she do this in? Perhaps we can put it into better context.

Fraser - I've downloaded this episode but get
    No combination of filters could be found to render the stream. (Error=80040218)
    the file is only 3.8KB
    oh wait...its a HTML file...it is a 404 error...

You haven't put up the actual MP3 files yet or named them wrong

Skeptics Guide is also doing the same thing (Error 500 & 3259), so it might be an iTunes podcast problem.

Erik; with AC withdrawal meds ready.

Fixed now....listen away.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneFrancis View Post
    Anyone know what JudasGutenberg problem is? What episode did she do this in? Perhaps we can put it into better context.
    HA HA! As I was waiting for this to get fixed, I started re-listening to all the episodes starting with episode one. I probably never would have caught it but I had already seen Judas's comment so it stuck out to me. In episode 8 on Meteor Showers, Pamela was discussing why dust motes generate so much light when they hit the atmosphere. In her explanation she mentioned that even a potato could power NYC if its mass were converted directly to energy.

Edit: Now that I heard the new questions show she also mention's the potato thing trying to explain E=MC2. Its cool to see that most of these explanations aren't off the cuff but their own well thought out explanations used over a lifetime.
    Last edited by Herkfixer; 2009-Jul-07 at 05:41 PM. Reason: New Information