Thread: Current news reports on moon landing

Current news reports on moon landing

Okay, this may be covered here, but you try to sift through BAUT search results for "Moon landing" and "news".

If not, then enjoy, but first a mild disclaimer:
    Some mildly questionable language in a quick shot of text, but for humors sake. Also, I didn't read through the video's comments section, but you all know what you-tube type video comments are like.

Interesting question: If the moon landing were to happen today, how would the news media cover it? Like this, of course!

i'm still partial to the Onion's coverage..

Before I clicked on the link I had a visual of all the astronauts having different ads painted on their suits, resembing something like Nascar racers; of course the flag pole was brought to you by McDonald's. Fox coverage of the event would likely mirror an Evel Knievel jump. Thanks for the link, though, it was cute.

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    i'm still partial to the Onion's coverage..
    I actually didn't see it as humor.
    I really do think that it would be covered that way today.

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    Before I clicked on the link I had a visual of all the astronauts having different ads...
    Luckily NASA has rules against that.

That was outstanding! Someone sure took the time to get it right! Funny stuf but, as NeoWatcher says, probably the way they would cover it today, which is what makes it so... relevant, I guess I'd say. Good job. No wait. Great Job!

The only thing they left out is the E! channel crew following around snapping pictures of the astronauts wives every time they're in public standing next to another man.

"One small step for [a] man, one wild night out for man's wife! Only on E!"

I still have the front page of the local paper (St. Louis Globe-Democrat, long since defunct) from that occasion that I had saved as a kid. I once thought it was long gone, but I found it when we were cleaning out my parents' house after my mom died.

Nick

Interesting question: If the moon landing were to happen today, how would the news media cover it? Like this, of course!
    It says I need a password to watch it.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    It says I need a password to watch it.
    Weird. Still works fine for me, and apparently it worked for at least some of the others.

Now I can watch it okay, very strange indeed.

I thought it was respectful, if with rather a lot of unnecessary commentary and some unneeded "actiony" camera angles and effects. I'd still see it as good coverage.

I thought it was respectful...
    Yes; Respectful in that they are praising the event.
    ...if with rather a lot of unnecessary commentary and some unneeded "actiony" camera angles and effects...
    Can you point out where in the video they actually covered the story rather than all the reaction to the story?
    ...I'd still see it as good coverage.
    Not me, it's all fluff.

That's the point Kai; it's not a wild, outlandish parody of news, it's pretty spot-on with how things are covered today. But when you take something as important as the moon landing, and see it in that context, it really highlights how bad today's coverage of events really is.

For instance, the shot where they're boasting about having the astronaut "beamed in" for that stupid "3d video feed" thing, rather than talking about the fact that there's a man on the moon. Or, my personal favorite, the shot of all the twitter "tweets" that are, well, on par for lack of intelligence in twitter tweets. ("America FTW!")

Just the fact that it was positive, that people were paying attention, that somebody actually WAS Twittering or that people were crowding Times Square to cheer for a space mission... it made me feel good.

Just the fact that it was positive, that people were paying attention, that somebody actually WAS Twittering or that people were crowding Times Square to cheer for a space mission... it made me feel good.
    So a "feel good" story means it's good? You don't care about content, information, or the event itself?

So; you can show a couple of screenfuls of tweets out of the millions of people on twitter. Does that mean that a lot of people are following, or just enough for the media to make it look good?

People crowd times square a lot. Most people wouldn't go anywhere near the place when there's a crowd. And, just think how many people would be there to take part in this crowd that don't even know what's going on? They're there because there's a crowd there.
    And there was traffic flowing in that times square shot, if there was such a crowd, the square would be closed.

Not only that, but crowd scenes can be cleverly shot to make them look like a large gathering.

To put it in perspective Kai; according to the news, Brittney gets the same kind of attention when she cuts her hair. Media attention and news content are two different beasts.

I think it's boiling lobster syndrome, the news coverage of space has gone down so much that any positive mention is great and the general quality of news coverage is so degenerated that youngsters think that was good because that's all they have seen.

BTW, if those tweets demonstrated the normal level of tweeting, I think they may be something I would have considered impossible which is a group of people dumber than those posting YouTube comments.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

It is an excellent parody of how modern day news is presented, versus they way it used to be done. I am getting old but I prefer the old way. I abhor quick cuts, they are too distracting.

I also prefer news that concentrates on the story at hand rather than what a bunch of talking heads think about the story. The video is an excellent parody in showing how shallow "shout journalism" is. Notice how the video from the moon itself is pushed to a little postage stamp sized video while the heads discuss their feelings.

I think it's boiling lobster syndrome, the news coverage of space has gone down so much that any positive mention is great and the general quality of news coverage is so degenerated that youngsters think that was good because that's all they have seen.
    That's what I meant, I suppose. Seeing space get that kind of coverage made me feel good.

It certainly could have been better, I won't deny that, but my personal opinion is that it was okay. On the little scale they give you in textbooks to write down the condition of your book, (Poor, Bad, Fair, Good, Excellent), I'd say Fair.