Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do you want we go Mars soon? support my proposal and we'll land on Mars within 2030 !

Lightbulb do you want we go Mars soon? support my proposal and we'll land on Mars within 2030 !

--
    Do you want see the mankind go to Mars soon?
    --
    Do you REALLY want this?
    --
    Well, my proposal is the ONLY rational way to go Mars soon and compatibly with our technology, the space agencies budgets and the funds that our governments can give with today's economic crisis.
    --
    You can read it here: http://www.ghostnasa.com/posts/047gotomars.html
    --
    So, if you want to see a manned Mars mission in your lifetime, you should talk about and STRONGLY SUPPORT my proposal about Mars (reviewing or publishing it, free of charge, on your website or blog) hoping the Augustine Commission will consider and propose it in its final report for the White House.
    --
    I you really want support my proposal for Mars you have two options:
    --
    a) review it (in brief) in a post with your name and your opinion about it, just putting a LINK to my article, or...
    --
    b) republish the full article (but only THIS article and NOT other articles of my blog) with my name (as guest blogger) and a LINK to this blog and to this article, adding your opinions only at its end.
    --
    If the second option is your choice, you are not allowed to modify the text of the article in no way, also, you should put a copyright notice at the end of the article to show that it always is/will be my property.
    --
    Of course, if you'll republish my article, you can't resell it to others.
    --
    Any suggestion from you or spelling correction of my article is welcome.
    --
    If we will succeed and if this plan adopted you could say (someday) to have been part of the "team" that led the man on planet Mars!!!
    --

There are too many colors used, too many different fonts, too many different sized fonts, too many exclamation points (none at all would be better), and too much highlighting. Straightforward text would look more professional and get you better results. This looks like a cheap TV ad - not a paper designed to convince people of your point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucson_Tim View Post
    There are too many colors used, too many different fonts, too many different sized fonts, too many exclamation points (none at all would be better), and too much highlighting. Straightforward text would look more professional and get you better results. This looks like a cheap TV ad - not a paper designed to convince people of your point of view.
    ok, so, we will never go to Mars, due to too much colors in my blog...

Quote Originally Posted by gaetanomarano View Post

Now I didn't say that. But if you want people to read it, it really needs to be changed. You might have some great ideas there but it's too painful to read.

Now I didn't say that. But if you want people to read it it really needs to be changed.
    in some of the latest articles of my blog (like my 11 suggestions for the HSF commission) I've added also the b/w version... I'll do that also in my "Mars soon" article

I have to agree,it does need to be 'toned down' a little on the colours used,highlights etc etc,just a bit of constructive criticism.

EDIT- I see above that you are going to use/change to the black and white version,that will look more proffesional as a proposal.
    Anyway,im gonna go and have a proper read through it.

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    I have to agree,it does need to be 'toned down' a little on the colours used,highlights etc etc,just a bit of constructive criticism.
    just wait a bit, I'll ADD the b/w version soon

I(f) you really want (to) support my proposal for Mars...
    To be perfectly blunt...given the "reception" your past ideas have received here, why in the world would you think that "we" would want to support your Mars "proposal"?
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

My concern about manned missions to Mars has to do with the practical reality of large groups of people living in spacecraft for maybe 2 year voyage. This is easy on star trek, not easy in the real world. Can people really live in space that long, and can the program be sustained with large groups of people safely? Consider all the practical realities: food, air, waste, not to mention psychology, people living on Mars for extended periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    To be perfectly blunt...given the "reception" your past ideas have received here, why in the world would you think that "we" would want to support your Mars "proposal"?
    no, only if you want to go Mars...

Quote Originally Posted by thoth II View Post
    My concern about manned missions to Mars has to do with the practical reality of large groups of people living in spacecraft for maybe 2 year voyage. This is easy on star trek, not easy in the real world. Can people really live in space that long, and can the program be sustained with large groups of people safely? Consider all the practical realities: food, air, waste, not to mention psychology, people living on Mars for extended periods of time.
    yes, it's not easy, but it will happen... only the (not existing now) A.I. driven Mars rovers can replace the humans in the red planet exploration

Im just a bit confused as to where you got some of your figures and data,for instance

'This option sounds really CRAZY to me because (nearly) NOTHING (or just 10%) of the Moon-specific vehicles, hardware and know-how could be use for a Mars mission, in fact, it's the preffered and supported choice only of those who want to "make money soon" with the lunar hardware contracts and did NOT want to go Mars soon, to have more and bigger "Mars contracts" in future!'?!

Surely,after sustaining a human presence on the moon for a period of time,several years or so,more than 10% of the knowledge we had gained would be useful in a manned mission to mars?!

no, only if you want to go Mars...
    The audacity of your statement astounds me...at least you posted it with a smilee.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

OK, I read it. I used "Edit" and "Select All" browser functions, copied the entire page into UltraEdit, which removed all bells ans whistles, then copied into Microsoft Word. MUCH easier to read.

Once you strip off all the exclamation signs and other hoopla -- which I agree is a HUGE turn-off, -- Gaetanomarano's proposal is pretty simple. It boils down to this -- establish a manned presence on Phobos, from where astronauts will teleoperate rovers on Mars in real time. Do not actually land humans on Mars until suitable location is prepared for them.

I hate to say it, but Gaetanomarano does not win any awards for originality -- this idea has been kicking around for years. I actually think it is very sensible, as it combines the best of robotic and manned operations -- robots are FAR more versatile without the time lag, yet huge cost of landing humans onto Mars and later taking off is removed (or at least postponed). And digging deep enough into Phobos to block cosmic rays is probably easier than building a proper radiation shelter on Mars. Unfortunately, it is not politically sexy. The chances of pushing it through Congress are pretty much nil, which is why its supporters, including Planetary Society, had given up on it.

This is the post that astonishes me.

You asked for suggestions and Tim gave you some polite and constructive criticism... and you responded with sarcasm.

I'm a proofreader. When I read your first post I thought about proofreading your article... then read on and decided I've got better things to do with my time.

Consider the importance of diplomacy in any major project.

I have this fear that if a "Mars race" gets started, in order to be first NASA will opt for a "launch, land, look around, return home" sort of mission. Yes, a great technical achievement but . . .

I second that. The overall self-congratulatory tone of the blog doesn´t help either [I couldn´t help noticing the "advertisement" for the "Moonrover prize" idea]

Quote Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
    OK, I read it. I used "Edit" and "Select All" browser functions, copied the entire page into UltraEdit, which removed all bells ans whistles, then copied into Microsoft Word. MUCH easier to read.

Once you strip off all the exclamation signs and other hoopla -- which I agree is a HUGE turn-off, -- Gaetanomarano's proposal is pretty simple. It boils down to this -- establish a manned presence on Phobos, from where astronauts will teleoperate rovers on Mars in real time. Do not actually land humans on Mars until suitable location is prepared for them.

I hate to say it, but Gaetanomarano does not win any awards for originality -- this idea has been kicking around for years. I actually think it is very sensible, as it combines the best of robotic and manned operations -- robots are FAR more versatile without the time lag, yet huge cost of landing humans onto Mars and later taking off is removed (or at least postponed). And digging deep enough into Phobos to block cosmic rays is probably easier than building a proper radiation shelter on Mars. Unfortunately, it is not politically sexy. The chances of pushing it through Congress are pretty much nil, which is why its supporters, including Planetary Society, had given up on it.
    no, the idea of Phobos is only an option, my suggestion is to invest to develop the Mars hardware WITHOUT know if and when we'll find the money to actually build it

so far, the "standard (and logical) strategy" was "spend money to develop a rocket AND build the rocket"

this can't be done for Mars, since the "costs" are very high and completely unknown

so, instead of wait 30-40 years to find one trillion dollar, I suggest to invest ONLY in a 10-years research, NO MATTER if we'll have the money (and when) to use the results at the end of the research

this is the ONLY way to start NOW a Mars program

Quote Originally Posted by Argos View Post
    [I couldn´t help noticing the "advertisement" for the "Moonrover prize" idea]
    it's NOT and "advertising" but a PROTEST

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    This is the post that astonishes me.

You asked for suggestions and Tim gave you some polite and constructive criticism... and you responded with sarcasm.
    no sense of humor here? ...

I think it's a brilliant idea, using Phobos as a human base, and I'll admit it's a new one to me, but it makes a lot of sense for an initial visit. Certainly the smaller price tag of not having to launch back out of a large gravity well would be a good seller. How much less is a good question.

The first rule for presenting a paper/idea: don't shove the information down the reader's throat, force feeding it with colors, exclamation marks, bold face type, etc.

Always let the information speak for itself. Never insult your reader's intelligence.

Using colors and exclamation marks is the same as yelling at your reader.

People don't listen to presenters who yell at them.

So we spend (notice I didn’t say invest) billions if not a trillion on this scheme without the instant gratification of boots on the ground???

It’s a dead deal right there.

I’ll wait for the political stunt mission.

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    Surely,after sustaining a human presence on the moon for a period of time,several years or so,more than 10% of the knowledge we had gained would be useful in a manned mission to mars?!
    no, only the time of the stay on the Moon looks the same, but nearly all things will be different (especially the very expensive Mars hardware)

no sense of humor here? ...

No. If you'd followed your reply to Tim with something along the lines of, "But seriously, thanks for taking the time to comment, I'll think about what you said," that would have been fine.

As it stands, your reply was simply dismissive. That sort of lack of diplomacy will not get people on Mars.

Please consider this post as constructive criticism, because that's how it's intended.

Quote Originally Posted by kleindoofy View Post
    The first rule for presenting a paper/idea: don't shove the information down the reader's throat, force feeding it with colors, exclamation marks, bold face type, etc.

Always let the information speak for itself. Never insult your reader's intelligence.

Using colors and exclamation marks is the same as yelling at your reader.

People don't listen to presenters who yell at them.
    I know no one likes my blog's formatting... but it's my pop-art-like blog's style from years... however, I often mitigate it a little bit it by adding a b/w version in some articles

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    No. If you'd followed your reply to Tim with something along the lines of, "But seriously, thanks for taking the time to comment, I'll think about what you said," that would have been fine.

As it stands, your reply was simply dismissive. That sort of lack of diplomacy will not get people on Mars.
    read all my posts... I do MORE, since I've said him that I'll ADD soon the b/w version

I know no one likes my blog's formatting... but it's my pop-art-like blog's style from years ...
    I thought you wanted to go to Mars.

If nobody likes your formatting, then nobody will read your blog.
    If nobody reads your blog, then your suggestion will never be noticed.
    If your suggestion is never noticed, then we will not be going to Mars any time soon.

Ergo, the formatting of your blog is keeping man from visiting Mars.

It's all your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by samkent View Post
    So we spend (notice I didn’t say invest) billions if not a trillion on this scheme without the instant gratification of boots on the ground???

It’s a dead deal right there.

I’ll wait for the political stunt mission.
    1st... they are not trillion$ but (around) 15-20 billion$ in 8-10 years

2nd... we will surely use this know-how someday, just the time to find the funds

3rd... the research can anyhow have a fallout in other space, civil and military programs

so, no money will be really "lost"

Quote Originally Posted by kleindoofy View Post
    I thought you wanted to go to Mars.

If nobody likes your formatting, then nobody will read your blog.
    If nobody reads your blog, then your suggestion will never be noticed.
    If your suggestion is never noticed, then we will not be going to Mars any time soon.

Ergo, the formatting of your blog is keeping man from visiting Mars.

It's all your fault.
    I've not an exact statistics of how many like or not my blog's formatting... I only know that just a few people say me to change it... however, if the "price" to go Mars is to change my blog... then, I'm sorry, but we will never go to Mars...