Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50 things that are being killed by the internet

50 things that are being killed by the internet

Below we have compiled - in no particular order - 50 things that are in the process of being killed off by the web, from products and business models to life experiences and habits.
    Telegraph.co.uk

Paradoxically:

16) Hoaxes and conspiracy theories
    The internet is often dismissed as awash with cranks, but it has proved far more potent at debunking conspiracy theories than perpetuating them. The excellent Snopes.com continues to deliver the final, sober, word on urban legends.

Bold mine.

Some amusing, some too true to be amusing, and others, well, not so much.

Hmm - a couple of those look like padding, especially the ones that conflate the Internet with electronics in general. None of the portable electronics devices I use instead of a watch to tell the time require an Internet connection. My cell phone's contacts list may use a SIM card, but not an IP address. And I'm pretty sure that GPS satellites are not broadcasting UDP packets.

I thought it a pretty poor list. I think a lot of those things "dying" has nothing to do with the Internet. For example:
    10) Watches
    Scrabbling around in your pocket to dig out a phone may not be as elegant as glancing at a watch, but it saves splashing out on two gadgets.
    I think it true that watches are losing popularity, but it is not because of the Internet, it is because of cell phones - as they say themselves. Even non-Internet enabled phones give you the time and have for a decade or so.

23) Reading telegrams at weddings
    Quoting from a wad of email printouts doesn't have the same magic.
    Maybe that's a British thing, but I'm 50, have been to lots of wedding, and have never in my life seen a telegram read at any event and I don't think that has anything to do with the Internet.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    43) Solitaire
    The original computer timewaster has been superseded by the more alluring temptations of the web. Ditto Minesweeper.
    Absolutely not true. I'm playing Spider right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I thought it a pretty poor list, at least up to # 20, where I gave up. I think a lot of those things "dying" has nothing to do with the Internet. For example:

I think it true that watches are losing popularity, but it is not because of the Internet, it is because of cell phones - as they say themselves. Even non-Internet enabled phones give you the time and have for a decade or so.
    Remember when all the talk was about phones in watches? Now we have watches in phones.

And even still, I'd be curious to how much it has to do with cell phones. I mean, they obviously reduce the need for watches, but I think as a culture, wearing watches started drifting "out of fashion" prior to the spread of cell phones. I know I personally quit wearing or caring about watches well before I had a cell phone.

I'm not disputing that cell phones as a factor, but I hesitate to say it's the only one.

3) Listening to an album all the way through.

Just getting back to the days of my youth here, when the 45 single was king.

Maybe that's a British thing, but I'm 50, have been to lots of wedding, and have never in my life seen a telegram read at any event and I don't think that has anything to do with the Internet.
    It is because of the internet that Western Union stopped sending them, I believe, but I'd never seen one read anywhere either, except in movies.

I also think the writer had a fundamental misunderstanding of online culture, actually. Many of the things commented on just seem to be that certain groups are more prominent now than they used to be, not that those groups are actually larger. Like punctuality--the lack thereof in my social circle has nothing to do with technology. They just don't have a working acquaintance with the concept of "on time."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

9) The myth of cat intelligence
    The proudest household pets are now the illiterate butts of caption-based jokes. Icanhasreputashunback?
    Bzzzzt, lolcatspeak has been analyzed and was found to be a version of English with quite strict grammar and syntax, qualifying it as an separate language.

You wouldn't call someone illiterate for writing in German instead of English, would you?
    Especially since you're actually demonstrating fluency in lolcat.
    14) Dead time
    When was the last time you spent an hour mulling the world out a window, or rereading a favourite book? The internet's draw on our attention is relentless and increasingly difficult to resist.
    16 hours ago.
    23) Reading telegrams at weddings
    Quoting from a wad of email printouts doesn't have the same magic.
    I've been to several funerals where a printout of all the farewells sent online was cremated along with the body.
    27) Knowing telephone numbers off by heart
    After typing the digits into your contacts book, you need never look at them again.
    Another thing killed by the cell phone, not by the internet.
    32) Chuck Norris's reputation
    The absurdly heroic boasts on Chuck Norris Facts may be affectionate, but will anyone take him seriously again?
    If he ever was taken seriously, that died when he became yet another televised salesman.
    45) Prostitute calling cards/ kerb crawling
    Sex can be marketed more cheaply, safely and efficiently on the web than the street corner.
    Which has done nothing to get the prostitutes off the street corners.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Yeah, I noticed the "dead time" one myself. Now, I never spent an hour staring out the window, because my brain gets twitchy, but at least once a week, I take a nice, long, hot bath and read a book. I don't read as many books as I used to in my pre-internet days, but I'm not entirely sure hours spent reading TV Tropes or the Onion AV Club should qualify as not being "dead time." Or watching movies. Or the nice, pleasant walk around the block I take when my physical state, mental state, and the weather coincide. (My block is large enough, due to vagaries of the local geography, that it's about a mile.) Of course, my situation is also quite different from the average.

For one thing, I don't own a cell phone!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Good for you.

I haven't either, but I do remember them being received and read at my grandparents 50th anniversary. In 1956!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Good for you.
    Well, I so seldom leave the house, after all. What do I need a cell phone for?

"You can't erase icing."

To tell the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Argos View Post
    Telegraph.co.uk

Paradoxically:

The internet is often dismissed as awash with cranks, but it has proved far more potent at debunking conspiracy theories than perpetuating them. The excellent Snopes.com continues to deliver the final, sober, word on urban legends.

Bold mine.
    I'd like to send along a couple of dozen links to websites that would seriously test that claim.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Telegraph.co.uk

Paradoxically:

Yep. Snopes does indeed do that.

On Snopes.

On Godlike Productions, Snopes does nothing. Therefore, if people choose to read Godlike Productions and ignore Snopes, no debunking has occured in the minds of the GLP puppies at all.

Fortunately, when it comes to opinions on controversial topics, most people shop around, and eventually get the good word on the good, the bad, and the ugly. Unfortunately, far to many people still hear one word that sounds good to them, latch onto it, and ignore everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yeah, I noticed the "dead time" one myself. Now, I never spent an hour staring out the window, because my brain gets twitchy,
    "LEISURE"

What is this life if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
    And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
    Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
    And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
    Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.

By Wm. Henry Davies.

I have time. I have plenty of time. Nothing but time, most days. That wasn't my point. To "stand and stare" for an hour? No. No, my brain won't let me do that. A few minutes is fine, and while I crossed the 101 overpass on the bus today, I looked out at the mountain, but an hour would have me begging for something else to do.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I have time. I have plenty of time. Nothing but time, most days. That wasn't my point. To "stand and stare" for an hour? No. No, my brain won't let me do that. A few minutes is fine, and while I crossed the 101 overpass on the bus today, I looked out at the mountain, but an hour would have me begging for something else to do.
    That's too bad, Gillian. I hope someday you will be able to while away hours doing nothing but stare out at the world and daydream.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Another thing killed by the cell phone, not by the internet.
    Actually, landline phones were storing numbers before mobile phones became prevalent.

Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens
    Fortunately, when it comes to opinions on controversial topics, most people shop around, and eventually get the good word on the good, the bad, and the ugly. Unfortunately, far to many people still hear one word that sounds good to them, latch onto it, and ignore everything else.
    It is arguable, but how effectively would the Fox Special have been debunked had it not been for the Web.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Actually, landline phones were storing numbers before mobile phones became prevalent.
    Yes, but fairly few numbers on each phone and not portable.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

36) Mr Alifi's dignity Mr Tombe's dignity
    Twenty years ago, if you were a Sudanese man who was forced to marry a goat after having sex with it, you'd take solace that news of your shame would be unlikely to spread beyond the neighbouring villages. Unfortunately for Mr Alifi, his indiscretion came in the digital age – and became one of the first viral news stories.

As pointed out in the comments, Mr Alifi was just the goat's owner. It was another man, Mr Tombe, who actually did the deed. Apologies and thanks to readers for drawing attention to the error. (#51 Unchallenged journalistic inaccuracy?)
    (Non bolded was the original statement; bolded was the correction)

There's a contradiction here, in the correction. Anyone else see it?

That it's actually a challenged journalistic inaccuracy?

@ ToSeek, Mugaliens

Sure I have doubts about the debunking powers of the Internet. Actually I was suprised by that assertion.

[b]Actually I was suprised by that assertion.
    Me too. If anything, I think the internet provides a global soapbox for people to spout this nonsense. I mean, just check out youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    To say nothing about phone books.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    That it's actually a challenged journalistic inaccuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    Me too. If anything, I think the internet provides a global soapbox for people to spout this nonsense. I mean, just check out youtube.
    Providing a forum for nonsense does not automatically mean converts for nonsense.

Still, I'm not entirely convinced by the assertion quoted in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    Providing a forum for nonsense does not automatically mean converts for nonsense.
    No, but I never claimed it did. But if you're not reducing the amount of woo, then you're not killing woo. The article claims otherwise.