Thread: The Latest in the Windows 7 vs OS X debates...

The Latest in the Windows 7 vs OS X debates...

You know, I really can't believe there's a debate going on at all. I think Apple's expertise lies in it's OS software, but it's more expensive than Windows, which has held the market lead for more than twenty years.

And now this comment from one of Microsoft's execs: "What we’ve tried to do with Windows 7 -- whether it's traditional format or in a touch format -- is create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics. We've significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance." - Source

Is Aldous trying to lure Mac users by claiming Mac-like interface while promising greater stability than OS X?

Or is he trying to prevent an erosion of Windows users to Mac by saying, "you can get Mac-like interface here, cheaper," while countering Mac's claims of a more stable operating system?

My personal opinion is that OS X is better, faster, and more stable, but I choose to use Windows as that's what I and my former employer have used since it first came out, and buying computers running Windows was cheaper and more compatible with everything else than buying a Mac.

I thought religion was forbidden

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

So Mugs is like Christian praying in a mosque.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I have not been around a mac in years so I do not wht there operationg system is like nowadays. But when I can I probably be upgrading to windows 7.

And everyone the above comment was a joke.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I missed this liink in the original article, which links to Walt Mossberg's column, a highly respected Wall Street Journal contributing author and computer technology reviewer.

Very interesting, thorough, and detailed read!

Mossberg tries to explain his positive review of Windows 7 in this YouTube video (language warning): "I Have Sabotaged Microsoft."

As for the original question, I would guess that MS is trying to court the Mac-using artsy types who refuse to use ugly-looking software, although that may just be my personal prejudices. I've been spending too much time with graphic designers recently, and they're driving me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter View Post
    I've been spending too much time with graphic designers recently, and they're driving me crazy!
    Is it just their over-the-top pro-Mac attitudes, or is it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens View Post
    Is it just their over-the-top pro-Mac attitudes, or is it something else?
    It's the attitude (held by a vocal minority) that aesthetics are just as, if not more, important than usability and capability. I've been told by some designers that they use Macs because the GUI (or the computer itself, or the box it comes in) is prettier, and if you'll be spending hours looking at it, it needs to be pretty.

I suppose that this bothers me because the software I'm using is disliked by many graphic designers primarily because the UI is so ugly (I admit it does look like a refugee from the early '90s), despite it being full-featured, open-source, and free (the only free software of its kind).
    Last edited by GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter; 2009-Nov-14 at 02:30 AM. Reason: fixing grammatical errors (and introducing new ones).

It's the attitude (held by a vocal minority) that aesthetics are just as, if not more, important than usability and capability. {Snip!}
    I'll bet these people weren't bit by the "software" on a certain Celine Dion audio CD that sent many Macs to the shop because some artsy type considered having that emergency hole on the case (just big enough to stick a bent paperclip in) ruined the aesthetics of their "design", so it was omitted.
    I suppose that this bothers me because the software I'm using is disliked by many graphic designers primarily because the UI is so ugly (I admit it does look like a refugee from the early '90s), despite it being full-featured, open-source, and free (the only free software of its kind).
    Out of curiosity what software is it? The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)?

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Mechanic View Post
    Out of curiosity what software is it? The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)?
    No, GIMP at least tries to use the system theme, and actually has a fair amount of visual polish. The software I'm referring to is FontForge, an outline font editor. It runs under X11 without using any fancy widget libraries, so it looks terrible no matter what OS or window manager you're using.

We are seeing the difference between proprietary and open operating systems. If OS X was designed to directly compete with Windows, then which was best would have been hashed out years ago.