Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 1854

Thread: Backyard Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Jackrabbit? Bigger than our bunnies. Longer legs and ears.

ETA: Prob not. Alaskan Hare or Snowshoe Hare. In the process of putting on its summer coat, I think.
    Snowshoe. We're well outside the Alaskan (Tundra) hare's range. But you're right about the coat. After having gotten my first video of one in full white phase this past winter, I was hoping to catch one earlier in the springtime transition but nope.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I must admit that as an Australian my first ingrained thought about that 'cute' Snowshoe was Kill it! Kill it now before it breeds!! Around a 150 years of 'conditioning' that rabbits and their ilk are pests that will destroy the local environment is hard to break I know that in your locality they are a perfectly natural part of the wildlife but it still stirred instant thoughts of the damage they cause here.

Yeah, that’s what can happen when a non-native species is introduced. We have our own ecological disasters from introduced species, of course.

But it is interesting, I’ve never seen a wild rabbit in California. They are here, not even that uncommon from what I read, but don’t compare in numbers to various other small wild mammals. I did see them occasionally when I lived in the midwest. Their numbers are obviously being kept down by predators.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yeah, that’s what can happen when a non-native species is introduced. We have our own ecological disasters from introduced species, of course.

But it is interesting, I’ve never seen a wild rabbit in California. They are here, not even that uncommon from what I read, but don’t compare in numbers to various other small wild mammals. I did see them occasionally when I lived in the midwest. Their numbers are obviously being kept down by predators.
    I just searched for the predators of rabbits in Australia. This is what I got -

"In Australia, the most significant predators of rabbits are:
    red fox.
    feral cat.
    wild dogs and dingoes.
    goannas.
    large birds of prey such as wedge-tailed eagle."

The amusing/worrying bit is that most of those predators are 'imported' animals that are actually pests themselves and are subject to various measures to remove then from the ecosystem. The only true native animals are the Goannas and Eagles. Dingoes have been here for around 4,000 years with the Aboriginal peoples but are not actually 'native'. The rest are vermin to be destroyed on sight.

Backyard Wildlife

I'm a few days behind in posting this but we (I, my wife, and mother/father robins) have three eggs in the nest. I found mamma to be away one day, so I leaned out the back door with a telescoping inspection mirror to have a brief and careful look. I understand robins lay 3–5 eggs, one egg per day. I don't know if she laid any more after my peek.

Mother robin has been on the nest steadily, in spite of our nearby activity. We've spooked her several times but she doesn't seem to stay away long.

Update: We have four eggs.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2021-May-31 at 10:55 PM.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

And a fawn update.

We've continued to see the fawn around. Haven't seen him back at the same spot, but did see him a couple of days ago on the other side of the yard in the woods. This time he got up and moved around a little when he saw me, so I went away. We've also seen him and mom a couple of times on the game camera, usually going through the backyard early in the morning.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

We just saw our first fawns of the year, but in town not our backyard.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

This isn’t my backyard, and is decidedly dangerous, still I am impressed with this human versus bear confrontation where nobody was significantly hurt (video and article at link):

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/01/10021...er-family-pets

A bear with her cubs (!) was walking on the top of a block fence, and pet dogs ran up to confront them. Things start getting dangerous for the dogs, and a young woman ran up to push mama bear off the fence (cubs had reversed course) to protect dogs. Ultimately everyone backs away from the confrontation. Even she said she doesn’t recommend doing what she did, but it was a good tactic given the situation. Still, willingly going up against a mama bear . . . impressive.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Incidentally, we had concrete block fences one place where my family lived when I was young (Albuquerque) and one of the annoying aspects was that some kids would walk on them. Doesn’t make for a private back yard. I think if I had fences like that, I would put something on top so there wouldn’t a wide surface for humans or bears to walk on.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We have a big lilac bush and two bunnies in the backyard. The bush is pretty much a circle, so when the dog saw the bunnies dart out in two direction, she decided to rush the bush and see where they came from instead of chasing. The bush isn't that big, so the dog ended up half way up the branches, tangled up with her lead so she couldn't get out.

This is one of the many reasons we don't leave the dog unattended outside.

Yesterday, the dog was sunning herself next to the arrowwood tree. When I approached to do some weeding, the bunnies exploded out the other side of the weeds. They were a couple of feet from the dog the whole time. The dog didn't even look at them. If they had been robins, we would have heard about that. Crazy dog.
    Solfe

The BBC also has the video of the young lady vs the bear, with a short interview (of the human family, not the bear):

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-57325483

I’m sure if the girl had more time to think about it, rather than just reacting, she would have thought better of it. But she can say she knows hand to hand (or paw?) martial arts to use on bears - after all, she used the bear’s weight against it in an effective maneuver to put it on the ground.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    The BBC also has the video of the young lady vs the bear, with a short interview (of the human family, not the bear):

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-57325483

I’m sure if the girl had more time to think about it, rather than just reacting, she would have thought better of it. But she can say she knows hand to hand (or paw?) martial arts to use on bears - after all, she used the bear’s weight against it in an effective maneuver to put it on the ground.
    In fairness they should have interviewed the bear too.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    In fairness they should have interviewed the bear too.
    It is always important to look at the bears point of view - courtesy of the late lamented Punch Magazine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PolarBearPunch.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	26219

I only drove short distances today but twice had to brake fairly hard because of deer. The does are having new fawns, and the yearlings, on their own, don't know what to do in traffic.

Sitting outside enjoying the evening and just had to tell a bear to get out of my driveway. No time for pictures of course, what with having to get out of my chair and get to the door, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    ... The does are having new fawns ...
    It would be more interesting if the does were having old fawns.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It would be more interesting if the does were having old fawns.
    It's the old fawns in the road!

I saw my front porch light (has a motion sensor) was on so I decided to check - this is early, just when the sun is up enough to provide a fair amount of light, but still a little dim. A deer ran off in one direction and a neighbor’s cat ran off in another. I think they were attracted by the messed up yard, still a lot of wood and debris sitting around.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Do other folks here have squirrel bridges? I have utility poles at the back of the yard between me and my back neighbor. Squirrels use the power lines regularly as bridges. They aren’t low, I have to wonder if even a squirrel would come out unscathed if it fell from that high. They seem exposed, so I guess the hawks here aren’t much of a risk. A couple days ago I even saw squirrels jumping high up from one tree to another in the yard behind, again these are tall trees, and the distance was significant. Forty feet up, maybe?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We have a couple of squirrel bridges in our backyard. Not power lines, though. Those are all underground.

We have a wooden fence around our yard and the squirrels will use it to go from yard to yard, and to jump into the crepe myrtle with the feeders in it.

We have trees and they will jump from one to another, though the distance isn't great.

And we have our house. Squirrels will jump from a tree onto the roof and then to another tree. (This is how they get from our backyard trees to the live oak out front.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I've not yet seen a squirrel around the house this year, which seems odd considering the dozen-plus I previousely trapped and released elsewhere. Perhaps word got around.

Critter activity in Peters Creek has been fairly hopping so far this month. In addition to the driveway bear mentioned a few posts up-thread, we had a pair walk across the deck and into the back yard a couple of evenings ago. I finally got around to checking the game cam a few days ago and found more activity there:

I spotted a Chipmunk scurry across our retaining wall and nab a cicada as a snack. One down, about a zillion to go
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Outside my front door last evening. Photographed through the window:

At the same time across the street:

One of these browsed my newly planted apple tree. Fortunately, they can't reach the upper foliage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6600-600.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	26230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6603-600.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	26231  

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I'm a few days behind in posting this but we (I, my wife, and mother/father robins) have three eggs in the nest. I found mamma to be away one day, so I leaned out the back door with a telescoping inspection mirror to have a brief and careful look. I understand robins lay 3–5 eggs, one egg per day. I don't know if she laid any more after my peek.

Mother robin has been on the nest steadily, in spite of our nearby activity. We've spooked her several times but she doesn't seem to stay away long.

Update: We have four eggs.
    And now, we have four chicks. I grabbed a quick peek today and they look to be a few days old.

Yesterday my wife came into the office where I was wasting time on the computer and pointed out a very gravid-looking doe lying on the gravel driveway behind the house. It seemed an odd place to by lying down -- they walk through all the time but we've never seen one just lie down there before. So we wondered if she was just going to give birth right there. She stayed for an hour or so, then was gone.
    Then this morning my wife noticed a deer in the overgrown yard of the adjacent vacant house. Same one? Nope, I grabbed the binocs and could see it's a buck.
    In the bugs me department, I wish whoever owns it would do something about that house. Especially since there's a serious housing shortage in the area.

I got another quick peek on video yesterday. It won't be long before they're busting out of the nest and the parents will be rearing them on the ground.

I saw two foxes at different points on my morning bicycle ride. Unfortunately, one had been killed by a car. It had been a beautiful animal.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I have been trying to work out where to post this story as it could be construed in a number of ways. But, it is about wildlife so I will put it here.

As a background, there have been serious concerns about the long term survival in the wild of Tasmanian Devils. As per this article, A facial tumour disease has been decimating the Tasmanian devil population. The disease is spread by the Devils scratching each other. The problem is that as well being very aggressive predators they are also notoriously 'bad tempered'. The Tasmania Devil who used to bedevil (sorry couldn't help it) Bugs Bunny might have had his size etc embellished but the temperament was pretty much spot on. Even when mating they tend to scratch each other and thus the disease is passed on.

In order to ensure their survival 28 Devils that were known to be tumour free were taken to an island just off the coast of Tasmania in 2012 . That part of the experiment has been successful as the colony has now grown to up to 90 and is self sustaining. Unfortunately, there was a colony of about 3,000 Little Penguins, also called Fairy Penguins, on that island and currently there are none to be found there. There are large colonies of these penguins around southern Australia. I assume that not all of them would have been killed by the Devils but some would have relocated to a safer place. There is now an argument about whether to keep the devils there with the tumour problem being somewhat under control but also with a new version apparently beginning to appear. All decisions have consequences.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...land/100234550

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I have been trying to work out where to post this story as it could be construed in a number of ways. But, it is about wildlife so I will put it here.

As a background, there have been serious concerns about the long term survival in the wild of Tasmanian Devils. As per this article, A facial tumour disease has been decimating the Tasmanian devil population. The disease is spread by the Devils scratching each other. The problem is that as well being very aggressive predators they are also notoriously 'bad tempered'. The Tasmania Devil who used to bedevil (sorry couldn't help it) Bugs Bunny might have had his size etc embellished but the temperament was pretty much spot on. Even when mating they tend to scratch each other and thus the disease is passed on.

In order to ensure their survival 28 Devils that were known to be tumour free were taken to an island just off the coast of Tasmania in 2012 . That part of the experiment has been successful as the colony has now grown to up to 90 and is self sustaining. Unfortunately, there was a colony of about 3,000 Little Penguins, also called Fairy Penguins, on that island and currently there are none to be found there. There are large colonies of these penguins around southern Australia. I assume that not all of them would have been killed by the Devils but some would have relocated to a safer place. There is now an argument about whether to keep the devils there with the tumour problem being somewhat under control but also with a new version apparently beginning to appear. All decisions have consequences.

Very interesting. I knew of both the tumour disease for the Devils and of the Little Penguins, but not of the conflict between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post

Given the devils are carnivores, what food source was anticipated if not the penguins and other birds on the island?