Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
Results 1,651 to 1,663 of 1663

Thread: Backyard Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    This used to be a problem in my neighbourhood in the autumn. The bears would always drag other's bags into my backyard, where they feel relatively safe because beyond it is undeveloped bush, and tear them open. But most people have realized the problem it causes and no longer leave the bins out overnight. I had often wondered whether coating one of my many expired bear spray cans with peanut butter, and leaving it in a bin overnight would work as a deterrent. If the bear punctured the can it would be a very rude and painful surprise. Since they're common as crows around here, habituated, increasingly brazen black bears are often euthanized rather than relocated (they always find their way back!). Would this save a bear's life, or backfire on me in some unexpected way (including the legality of it)? I decided against trying it...
    There was a bear in my neighborhood who got into the garbage of an older woman on the road. Her grandson tried to hunt it but it was scared to be around when people were around. Once and while I see peoples garbage that has been gotten into and scattered around, wondering if it was a bear or crows.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ABR. View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bears 8Oct2020.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	25639

I have a standing appointment with this bear and her cubs every trash day. I had finally educated my neighbors not to set their trash bins out at night but the bear has since learned to come by in the morning, sometimes minutes after a trash bin is taken to the curb. I have been forced to wait outside to discourage her from getting into my trash. A neighbor has joined me in this weekly bear patrol. I wish the bears would stay out of the trash bins, but it's also kind of nice seeing her every week.
    HI ABR.! Hope you are well.

And "Wow" about the bears
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    HI ABR.! Hope you are well.

And "Wow" about the bears
    I'm hanging in there. Things will be better once the rains start up.

There are a couple mountain lions hanging out in the neighborhood, too. I haven't spotted them yet. I'll have to take a page out of PetersCreek's playbook and set up a trail cam.
    So many bugs, so little time.

This is a brief visit to tip off science and wildlife lovers about one of my favorite YouTube channels, LesleytheBirdNerd. Since health care costs keep us from directly supporting her channel, I thought I might spread the news and support her in that way. Good science and lovely videos; highly recommended. Hope you enjoy.

While walking the dog I came across this really nice black and yellow garden spider spinning a large web in some shrubs near the sidewalk. Fortunately the web is off the path. The abdomen is bright red, does that indicate an egg sac?

On our morning bike ride. They certainly give a good 'thump' if they hit the bike helmet. Fortunately the swooping season is now just about over so we passed by safely.

Name:	Magpie.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	956.8 KB 
ID:	25662

Name:	Magpie1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	743.5 KB 
ID:	25663

And if the feathered beasts don't get you the scaled ones will. (I Have ridden this path close to 100 times and have only seen a snake on the path once.

Name:	Snake.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	25661

Ah, good old Australian wildlife! It ALL wants to kill you!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ah, good old Australian wildlife! It ALL wants to kill you!
    Now, I'm sure that's an unfounded exagger.....ummm. Nevermind.

A quick look at what an attack is like. He was lucky as his helmet seems to have only been clipped by a wing once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T0IU-MoY2E

New York is not exactly in my backyard, but I just wanted to say that the Northern Saw-whet owl they rescued from that in Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center is absolutely adorable.

Did the owl get delivered with the tree? Gonna have to look it up!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post
    New York is not exactly in my backyard, but I just wanted to say that the Northern Saw-whet owl they rescued from that in Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center is absolutely adorable.
    One of my neighbors is certified for raptor rescue and has a small aviary in the yard. I paid a visit one day and met her guests at the time: a rough-legged hawk and a northern saw-whet owl. They are cute, indeed.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Did the owl get delivered with the tree? Gonna have to look it up!
    Yes, the owl got delivered with the tree. He or she was apparently perched in it and was probably trying to hide from the humans (small owls like Saw-whets and Screeches get preyed upon by bigger birds, like Great Horned owls, so they are very shy). The tree people say they check before they ship the tree, but obviously they missed it.

The owl, now named "Rockefeller" went to a rehabber and is apparently healthy, though was a bit starved and dehydrated. They've been eating well and the plan is to release them shortly.

And yes, Saw-whets are pretty adorable.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules