Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 1837

Thread: Backyard Wildlife

I keep seeing what I think are grackles in videos of SpaceX at Bocq Chica. Black birds with long tails, anyhow.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

A lovely bald eagle flew low over our car a short time ago. It was carrying a stick, presumably for its nest. I never get tired of seeing them.

Tonight a half dozen deer darted through the backyard. I didn't get any pictures. I have a raised bed with some "flowers" in it. Last night they came over to see if they were food. They are not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garden 002.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	26063

I'll figure I'll leave them in the raised bed for a few nights in an effort attract them to an empty bed. I hope once the bed is full of plants, they'll ignore it because they already investigated it. I'll put so screens up around the plants but if the deer get too interest, they could bulldoze their way in. I hope they won't.
    Solfe

The deer here definitely consider our flowers as food!

ETA: I had failed to notice the quote marks around "flowers" or look at the picture!

See, Australian Sharks are not only dangerous but also incredibly smart and have a far greater range than expected. After all, not many other wild animals can drive on a motorway and attend university for a week.

https://thewest.com.au/news/educatio...mpus-c-2781977

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...rive/100125270
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-May-08 at 02:06 AM.

I was in my backyard, and saw a rat. The rat saw me. And promply fell over. I guess he's got his dose of rat poison. (must be from one of the neighbours). I'm waiting it out and will check in a few hours to see if he's pining for the fjords. I don't want to approach a drugged rat.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I was in my backyard, and saw a rat. The rat saw me. And promply fell over. I guess he's got his dose of rat poison. (must be from one of the neighbours). I'm waiting it out and will check in a few hours to see if he's pining for the fjords. I don't want to approach a drugged rat.
    "Pining for the fjords"; what kind of talk is that?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Did it see you, or your avatar?
    Checking out possibly dead rats is why God gave us shovels. Once you've remotely disconnected the head from the body, it's not going far.

And if it does, you've positively identified it as a chicken.

Anyway, when I came back the rat was gone so I am now unsure whether we fixed that rat.

If it appeared to be an exceptionally large rat, perhaps you had an opossum!
    Which reminds me that starting around 1980, when we lived on the east side of Puget Sound, suddenly we had the roadsides littered with dead opossums. They hadn't been around before. By the time we moved over here five years ago, they were less common and there were more raccoons. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate raccoons?

Raccoons are the main reason you build trebuchets, right?

We don't have opossums or raccoons here. Just rats and muskrats (but not in my dry backyard). It was an ordinary rat.

And we have closure. The rat is fixed. In the category "how many deaths can you die" apparently the rat climbed some firewood in its poisoned delerium, fell into a rainwater tank and drowned.

This little fella clonked off the window and ended up on the decking, nursing a sore head.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	26173
    Classic dilemma for UK birdwatchers--chiffchaff or willow warbler? The rather pale legs say willow warbler, but the rest of him says chiffchaff. He was understandably reluctant to sing to give me the diagnosis.

At first I was worried that he'd injured his right foot, but just after I took this photo he hopped around a little and the toes straightened. Then he stared at me reproachfully for a while longer before flying off, apparently none the worse for the experience.

Grant Hutchison

Chaffinch? Willow Warbler? Nah, it's just an LBB! Little Brown Bird.

Yeah, Iím not a birdwatcher, so I canít identify a lot of them. I would like to be able to identify more of their songs. Iíve heard one here with a quite complex and beautiful song. Most have pretty short songs. I hear turkeys fairly often now, but up until maybe ten or fifteen years ago I had never seen or heard a wild turkey. Itís interesting how the wildlife moves into the suburbs.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Chaffinch? Willow Warbler? Nah, it's just an LBB! Little Brown Bird.
    Known in these parts as an LBJ--Little Brown Job.
    Confusing for Americans, who wonder what the political connection is.
    (And for some reason American aviators used get quite upset about the RAF's use of the abbreviation "US" to mean "irreparably damaged".)

Chiffchaff, by the way, is a separate species from the chaffinch, even though it sounds like some sort of affectionate diminutive. They're named for their call.

Grant Hutchison

I recognized that I'd mistaken "chiffinch" for "chaffinch" after I posted! Should have edited.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Known in these parts as an LBJ--Little Brown Job.
    Confusing for Americans, who wonder what the political connection is.
    Not me, I always call them LBJs (the political connection is half the fun). Mrs. Johnson (usually known as "Lady Bird") was an avid environmentalist (famous supporter of wildflowers), so seems to be even more appropriate.

Out doing yard work yesterday and got within a few feet of this fawn before I noticed them. After that we kept our distance (photo was taken with my big telephoto). Common behavior for deer - park the fawn hidden in the foliage while mom goes off for the day to feed. We've had them in past years in different spots in the yard. This one was tiny; I suspect maybe a week old, if that.

It is showtime for Brood X Cicadas in Maryland.
    No noise yet, but many little critters on my home and trees over the weekend.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Not me, I always call them LBJs (the political connection is half the fun). Mrs. Johnson (usually known as "Lady Bird") was an avid environmentalist (famous supporter of wildflowers), so seems to be even more appropriate.
    You mentioned that abbreviation here some years ago and I've used it ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Out doing yard work yesterday and got within a few feet of this fawn before I noticed them. After that we kept our distance (photo was taken with my big telephoto). Common behavior for deer - park the fawn hidden in the foliage while mom goes off for the day to feed. We've had them in past years in different spots in the yard. This one was tiny; I suspect maybe a week old, if that.
    Nice picture!

We haven't seen any new fawns yet this year but it's about that time.

While going to get the mail there was evidence of a bear right in the middle of somebody's driveway, I think someone figured out the garbage/ recycling schedule.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    While going to get the mail there was evidence of a bear right in the middle of somebody's driveway, I think someone figured out the garbage/ recycling schedule.
    Maybe the bear could explain it to my neighbors. But that's a topic for another thread.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Yesterday evening, I noticed that the backdoor, motion-activated security light was on and wondered what visiting critter had set it off. I looked out the door’s window and found a robin perched on a cut-off alder sapling growing out of the hillside perhaps 4 meters away. I thought to myself, “Huh...didn’t think she was big enough to set the light”, as I stood there and looked at her. I don’t know exactly what she was thinking as she sat there and looked at me. If I had to guess, she was annoyed at the interruption. She had a small clump of grass in her beak.

The wife wondered aloud if she was building a nest under the eave. I opened the door and sure enough, she was...right on top of the security light.

(Sorry: max zoom, low light)

I don’t know if they’ll maintain the nest, what with our comings and goings through the laundry room...speaking of which, today was a laundry day and the dryer vent is beneath the light.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

A Robin's nest with forced air heating, rad!

Had a visitor at the house just now.

Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Bunny!

Jackrabbit? Bigger than our bunnies. Longer legs and ears.

ETA: Prob not. Alaskan Hare or Snowshoe Hare. In the process of putting on its summer coat, I think.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2021-May-27 at 02:52 PM.

With apologies to Lord Tennyson...it would appear that in the Spring, a young hare's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love. The one shown was number 2 of the evening, having been immediately preceded by another who rocketed down the driveway as if his/her little cotton tail was on fire.

In the video, we lose sight of No. 2 as s/he scampers along the front side of the house, toward the "back" yard. A few minutes later, I heard a rustling noise over my shoulder. My chair creaked as I turned and it scared off No. 2 (I presume) coming up the back side of the house. About 15 minutes later, No. 1 (I think) came back up the driveway at the same speed at which he left it.