Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1515

Thread: Backyard Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I was walking in our neighborhood a few days ago and saw Bambi looking back at me. A day before that we saw a six-point buck along our patio fence which backs up to a wooded area. Deer have no predators in these suburbs. And they are getting frisky with the coming of cooler weather.
    Don't coyotes prey on deer? I saw quite a few coyotes during my time in Atlanta, and I was ITP.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Don't coyotes prey on deer? I saw quite a few coyotes during my time in Atlanta, and I was ITP.
    My answer might be mostly for this part of the world, but no. Deer are significantly bigger than typical coyote prey. More typical coyote prey would be rabbits and similar sized creatures, even down to mice and voles. Though coyotes often live in small family groups, they are not pack hunters, so can't take down bigger animals, and an adult deer probably would be double the weight of a coyote.

Now, coyote are also very opportunistic, and would not pass up an opportunity such as a very young fawn, an injured adult, or deer road kill.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    We havenít seen or heard any yotes in our neighborhood or nearby although a few have been spotted over the years. But not many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While grooming the cat yesterday I noticed a deer in the front yard. She then ran down the north side of the house so I went over to that side to see her go down the driveway. What went down instead was a rabbit. Apparently there's some sort of wormhole out there that turns deer into rabbits.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I was out riding my bicycle this morning in the bush park around the nearby river. I was lucky enough to have a bobtail goanna crawl, slowly, across the bike path in front of me and then 'hide' next the path. They are harmless and very slow moving. My daughter who lives a few Km from me in a more sandy and scrubby area often has them in her yard . In fact she has one resident at the moment. Unfortunately the old phone I have has a pretty poor lense on it. http://www.porteouspark.org.au/FaunaHtml/Bobtail.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bobtail.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	555.1 KB 
ID:	24633

Iíll spare yíall the photo but this morning, while blowing/raking a metric butt-tonne of leaves, I found a small specimen of bear scat. We havenít seen one around the house this season but they were there. And with the number of trees around our place, you could say yes, the proverbial bear does. In the woods. And in yards adjacent thereto.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

This mornings bike ride was not much fun with traffic delays, my chain falling off, hitting my head on a low branch etc all being irritants. However, it was livened up by seeing one of the local river dolphins from only a few metres away. I was crossing a small (wooden) road bridge about a km from my house and noticed a flock of pelicans feeding and flapping when a fin suddenly appeared near them. The dolphin went up and down a couple of times and then disappeared under the bridge before I could get a photo. The bridge is only about 2 metres above the water.

This is the furthest I have seen the dolphins up the part off the river near me. They live in the Swan/Canning River estuary waters permanently but at this spot the water is starting to turn brackish - about 25 km from the river mouth.

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	24697

Name:	Image2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	24698

Not the best of photos - taken at night through a glass door with a security light as illumination. I've never seen an ISO so high.

Grant Hutchison

Cute little guy. Some sort of weasel mustelid, do you have a particular species? Off to Google!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Cute little guy. Some sort of weasel mustelid, do you have a particular species? Off to Google!
    OK, I think I see a black tail tip -- going with stoat!

European pine marten (Martes martes). Locally common in the Highlands of Scotland, and gradually expanding its range farther south.
    (And currently glimpsed, intermittently, as one of the forms adopted by Lyra's daemon, Pantalaimon, in the BBC's new dramatization of His Dark Materials, though he spends most of his time as an ermine.)
    About twice the size of stoat.

Grant Hutchison

Thanks, Grant. I couldn't get a sense of scale. Interesting to see it at your door.

A stoat would be moulting towards white, at this time of year, in these latitudes, keeping just the black tail tip, and their winter coat is quite sleek - the technical term for their winter appearance is in ermine. Whereas the marten stays the same colour but fluffs up quite dramatically in its winter coat, as you can see from the photographs.

Grant Hutchison

Here's a 45-second video which shows what happened when I left a few blobs of jam and some raisins on a picnic table regularly patrolled by our pine marten visitor:

https://youtu.be/4cnnmVGweM4

Grant Hutchison

Well that seemed to be a big hit with your visitor.