Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364
Results 1,891 to 1,912 of 1912

Thread: Backyard Wildlife

This new house has a lot of green space behind it. We get rabbits, deer, opossums and some sort of groundhog. My dog is loving it, however, she has exactly zero fear of anything and tries to call the deer over to play. That's not the greatest.
    Solfe

While piling the wood I seen a chipmunk or maybe chipmunks, one day it kept running across the door of the wood shed hiding under the tiler a couple of times. This evening it was around the garden chair and ran up and sat there and then down the thyme plant beside the chair looking right at me both times.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

It's that time of year to find common frogs on the doorstep.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

In the spring around here the toads get loud, annoyingly so sometimes, and sometimes they are audibly close to the house but it’s almost impossible to actually find them. As I understand it, toads can handle drier conditions than frogs. I’ve never seen a frog around here any time of year, though it can get quite wet in the winter.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The frogs here are like the ravens: I hear them but don't see them!
    Meanwhile, while grooming the cat the other day I realized I hadn't seen any of the wild rabbits around recently. I was reminded because she gets her grooming on the guest bed and for a while I was seeing rabbits in the front yard as many days as not.
    The cat, incidentally, is called "Bunny".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Speaking of bunnies, I swapped out the game camera memory card on Friday and found that we'd had visitors as recently as the prior morning.

Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

In it's winter clothing!

"Hare appointments"
    I assume seeing your wife for a little off the top.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    In it's winter clothing!
    Yes and it's a good thing, too, considering our temps during the past couple-three weeks.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    "Hare appointments"
    I assume seeing your wife for a little off the top.
    Nah. If she got her hands on one, she'd more likely try to put clothes on it as she tried with our dog from time to time. Then she'd truly be a haredresser.

In the "bugs me" department, I've once again typed "it's" when I needed "its". Seriously, I do know better!

In the "bugs me" department, I've once again typed "it's" when I needed "its". Seriously, I do know better!
    Sometimes my iPhone tries to auto-replace "its" with "it's". It's kind of annoying, because in other cases, it just seems like I made a typo, but with that one, if I don't catch it, it makes it look like I can't spell.
    As above, so below

I dang near posted something really stupid instead of someone's name yesterday with Tapatalk. The phone was quite insistent on changing it!

I dang near posted something really stupid instead of someone's name yesterday with Tapatalk. The phone was quite insistent on changing it!
    Back in the very early days of MS Word (version 2, IIRC), the program’s spell checker kept trying to replace my manager’s name, Goodman, with a profanity involving a deity and flood control device.

It nearly caused a career-limiting event.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

May I suggest, unless you have herds of wild spellcheckers in your backyard, that we drop this line of discussion in this thread.

We have a big boy deer in the backyard. He has a pretty sized good rack, good enough to look dangerous. The dog thinks the young buck is her friend. I think not.

So, I've been going out there before the dog is let out to make sure the buck isn't back there. Last night, it occurred to me that I have no idea what I would do if I discovered the buck was back there. Since that epiphany, I've been walking the dog down the brightly lit street which probably should have been my solution from the start.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    We have a big boy deer in the backyard. He has a pretty sized good rack, good enough to look dangerous. The dog thinks the young buck is her friend. I think not.

So, I've been going out there before the dog is let out to make sure the buck isn't back there. Last night, it occurred to me that I have no idea what I would do if I discovered the buck was back there. Since that epiphany, I've been walking the dog down the brightly lit street which probably should have been my solution from the start.
    Years ago at our previous house, I opened the garage door one evening to put the trash out, and when the door opened, maybe a meter or so away, was a big buck with a full rack. I'm not sure who was more startled, me or him, but he is the one that quickly bolted away.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Years ago at our previous house, I opened the garage door one evening to put the trash out, and when the door opened, maybe a meter or so away, was a big buck with a full rack. I'm not sure who was more startled, me or him, but he is the one that quickly bolted away.
    This one is not the least concerned with people. His home is sandwiched between a rail line and houses. He sees people and man-made things enough to know we are basically slow moving meat bags.

My "close encounters" with him are limited to opening the backdoor, him rounding on the noise and staring me down while I close the door. It's never been that close, but I am concerned that he has about 50 feet of room to get up a good head of steam on his way to backdoor and me. If he wanted in, I am sure he could run right through the glass and screen door, open or not.
    Solfe

The front page of The Local Weekly has a picture of a kitty. Err, Bobcat. Not in my neighborhood exactly, but not that far away. Unfortunately it's not on the website.

The coyotes just started howling.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    The coyotes just started howling.
    “Full moon sold separately.”
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

A doe and two fawns in the field about 50-70 meters from my window, chowing down on the grass.